A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool Felt Stuffed Elephants *pics* My First Project Post ;p **TUTORIAL**  (Read 194256 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 12, 2005 01:50:59 PM »

Hi, everyone!  This is my first post with a completed project.  I thought anyone who liked elephants would enjoy these!

I have to admit, this was something I saw in Family Circle, but I did alter them a little...  They were Christmas gifts for mom and boyfriend (at the time).  I hope no one else posted this!

They are 100% wool felt with polyfil for stuffing.

http://img334.echo.cx/img334/5449/ele4ic.jpg

butt!

What do you think?  I'd be happy to describe the process of how they were made if anyone is interested.

Edit:  Eliea (thank you!) still had the pattern (my old computer died, which is why I  couldn't repost it for everyone who had asked), so I'm reposting it to my original post!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012 11:31:55 AM by jungrrl - Reason: removed copyrighted pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.etsy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.com --> Needs to be updated!
vegan_crafter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005 02:12:04 PM »

Those are really cool lookin'!
My nehpew would love them!
Could you post how you did it?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staramaze
Sarah and the Stampstars

Crafting Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005 02:23:18 PM »

I love them!  Great colors too....I would love to make them for my son... what issue of Family Circle were the instructions in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005 02:41:59 PM »

It was one of the Christmas time issues--it had a satiny fabric Christmas tree on the cover.  The elephants were kind of hidden in the issue, with no instructions or pattern, just a picture!  I finally found a picture of the pattern on one of the cached pages of Family Circle (via google).

I will write up some directions and post the pattern in a minute.

I'm glad you guys like them!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qwerty
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005 03:16:38 PM »

must have pink elephant! waiting (patiently) for tute/pattern/process ^_~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005 03:20:11 PM »

Ok, here is the pattern.  Trying to be helpful, I labeled parts and added numbers for how many you need to cut of each piece.  Grin

If you regularly sew, it is pretty easy to follow with no directions (that's how I did it)...but I will put a few just in case.  To get a good idea of how the pattern works, take a look at the pattern versus my elephant.

Here we go:

1.  Save the pattern, enlarge it, and print.  It will probably get a little fuzzy when you enlarge it, but you just need the general outlines...  (I enlarged til my elephant body was about 7 inches tall)

2.  Pick your colors.  If you want something like the green/yellow/brown one, cut your shapes accordlingly.

3.  Right sides together, sew the main body from the end of his trunk until you get just over the hump of his back **See the BUTT view of my elephant**  Where the brown felt meets the green/yellow is where you need to stop sewing.

4.  Take the two underbelly sections and match up the dashed areas (right sides together).  Sew ONLY the solid lines--the open space is where you will add stuffing.

SEWING THE BODY TO THE UNDERBELLY

(don't sew the trunk or bottoms of his feet shut!!!)  Also, if you're like me, the bottoms of the legs will not match up exactly with the underbelly.  This is OK--just ignore it and trim them after he's sewn.

5.  Starting at the trunk, match and pin the underbelly to the main body--right sides together, of course--and sew.

6.  Match and pin the other side of the underbelly to the body and sew that.

7.  TURN HIM INSIDE OUT!--This is the fun part where it's a huge pain to to get that trunk to go inside out...but you can do it!  I have faith!

8.  If you're like me, the legs did not match up exactlly.   Undecided Just trim them straight across.

9.  Go ahead and stuff him  Smiley I really packed it in there, so he would stand nice and tall.  Then stitch the stuffing hole shut!

10.  Hand stitch the bottoms of the feet to the legs and the end of the trunk to the trunk.

11.  EARS!  I almost forgot them.  Make two in opposing directions!  Right sides together, sew around the part that will not connect to the head.  Flip inside out, stitch down to the head.

I wish I had pictures to go with the step by step, but you should be fine!  Like I said, I didn't follow any directions for this, so I hope the ones I made up aren't too confusing.

Let me know if you have any trouble, and I will try to help!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012 11:31:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: removed copyrighted pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rowdypea
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005 03:58:28 PM »

those are so cute!!  thanks for the tute.  (that rhymes  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005 04:08:22 PM »

Hehe, you're welcome!

I forgot to add at the end, make a tail for your elephant and sew that on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

browneyedgrl73
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005 04:16:11 PM »

you have no idea how much i LOVE these!!!! i have a bizarre fixation with anything elephants!!!!! i will definately be making tons of these little critters.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naive knitter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005 07:55:02 PM »

LOVE the elephants! I love the colors and the lovely shape, which so conveys essence of elephant. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Colored Eye Liner for Back-To-School!
The Prettiest, Two-Product Makeup Look!
Dating Advice from Avan Jogia
How to Look Wide-Awake for Your First Day of School
Try a Glossy Eye And Matte Lip Look!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...