A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 46 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ikea Glass into Ye Olde Pimp Chalice (SOOO many pics) UPDATE: I made ikeahacker!  (Read 9001 times)
Tags for this thread: decoupage , glass , gold_leaf , gift_idea_for_males  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 23, 2008 11:16:46 PM »

This is The ManFlesh's main xmas present.  It took something like 10 hours over a couple weeks, plus all kinds of time ruminating  and hunting up supplies.  I'm so pleased with how it turned out I'm about to bust!  If he doesn't like it, I'll be kind of crushed.  I'm pretty sure he will, though.  Smiley

Front:

This was probably the most complicated project I've done outside of building a house about 10 years ago.  All the decoration is on the outside of the bowl or the bottom of the foot.  First I gilded it with faux gold leaf, then I sealed that with spray lacquer. I made the crests and other decorations using digital collage and decoupaged them onto the sealed gold leaf. After that I coated all the gold leaf surfaces plus a little extra with 2 layers of resin.  It was my first time using resin and that was fun and anxiety inducing!  Finally I glued on the rhinestones.

Back:

Bottom:

Those are the "artisan's initials" there.  Ahem.

This is a pretty accurate representation of how the inside GLOWS in the light.

Close up of the crest

That's the digital collage using all kinds of clip art that I altered every piece of before added it.  That was the single most time consuming part - about 5 hours.  I'm sure a better photoshopper could've done it quicker. It's full of things that represent his personality and life.

A view of the rhinestones that shows how the gold glows

If I could do it over, I'd use higher quality rhinestones, but these I had on hand.  They hide the ridge where the resin and glass meet at the bottom of the bowl.

I couldn't just hand it to him and I wanted to kind of go with the style-theme of it being aristocratic and old so put together this box.  Originally I wanted to find a wooden chest to alter or something, but I've been snowed in for days and had to make do with what I have in the house.  I'm pleased with how it turned out and feel great about not having to buy anything or drive around burning fuel.

An old Harry & David fruit gift box covered with purple and gold paper.  Purple is his favorite color & a royal color and the gold ties in with the chalice itself - plus it's gold!  I had bought the gold paper the circle is made from thinking I would use it for the decoupage, but didn't. 

I printed the crest onto shrink plastic for printers and attached it.

And finally made a purple velvet pillow to hold the chalice safely in the box.  I got lucky; the velvet matches the paper on the box really well!

This project made it to ikeahacker!
http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2008/12/post-christmas-hacks.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008 05:07:39 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quinkes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008 11:28:43 PM »

How could he not just love it, amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008 11:37:52 PM »

How could he not just love it, amazing!!

Thank you! It's so ridiculous and custom, I think he will.  But I always get last minute gift anxiety.  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008 11:38:12 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008 02:49:45 AM »

does the resin coating make it safe to actually drink from, or is it decorative only?  I've given painted decorated glasses as gifts before but I've always kept the decoration to the lower half of the glass so it never comes in contact with lips...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
PetStoreGirl
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008 03:57:57 AM »

That's so neat I like that! oh and I saw a resemblance with that cup with out an decor and the goblet from Indiana Jones! Now It rocks even harder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrsBowles

More fun, less stuff...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008 07:20:30 AM »

Golly T,
I'm truly choked up just thinking about what happens when inspiration, creativity, talent, and love, in the largest sense, all converge with our desire to connect with another human being...this is a masterpiece and I can only imagine how amazing you must feel about accomplishing this. Congratulations!

I hope all of your Christmas plans with that lucky man work out the way you dream they will...weather be damned.
Be safe and well.
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008 08:10:07 AM »

does the resin coating make it safe to actually drink from, or is it decorative only?  I've given painted decorated glasses as gifts before but I've always kept the decoration to the lower half of the glass so it never comes in contact with lips...

I should be safe to drink from, yes. I believe this is how John Derian's decoupage glasses are done - I've been wanted to do something like his for a few years and now I know why the glasses are so expensive... doing the resin is a long and attentive process!  I'm not talking about his Target line.  It's not submersible or dishwasher safe.  If anything were harmed by drinking from it, it would be the chalice... being new to resin there are some flaws and there may be some places where stuff could get under it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008 08:15:04 AM »

Golly T,
I'm truly choked up just thinking about what happens when inspiration, creativity, talent, and love, in the largest sense, all converge with our desire to connect with another human being...this is a masterpiece and I can only imagine how amazing you must feel about accomplishing this. Congratulations!

I hope all of your Christmas plans with that lucky man work out the way you dream they will...weather be damned.
Be safe and well.
 Kiss

Well, now you're choking me up!  I do feel pretty accomplished, but am holding back a little until I know he likes it or let's me believe he likes it. 

Thank you so much for your encouragement and support!  A dear friend with 4-wheel drive, chains and a youth spent in a place that generally gets snow offered to taxi  me to his house today!  I was going to take the bus, but this means I can more safely transport the Chalice!  Have a wonderful holiday, MrsBowles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008 09:55:22 AM »

That's so neat I like that! oh and I saw a resemblance with that cup with out an decor and the goblet from Indiana Jones! Now It rocks even harder!

I didn't even think of that!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charmingflaws
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008 04:35:16 PM »

AH IT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!

Way to go. There is no way that anyone would not like it. I hope that someday someone loves me enough to make me a gold foil pimp cup.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wor dpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: The Evolution of Music Online
Off Book: Generative Art - Computers, Data, and Humanity
Off Book: Hacking Art and Culture With F.A.T. Lab
Off Book: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art
Off Book: The Birth of the Animated GIF Medium
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...