A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I finally resolved to buy proper kitchen implements  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tastethesky7

Somebody's watchin' me...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008 02:13:13 PM »

For just utensils, OXO has some really good stuff. It's easy to read and doesn't fall apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we do not find pleasant things, we shall at least find new things.
Cacambo, from Candide
TheFanatic
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008 12:53:40 PM »

One word.  Knives.

Go to a department store and try out some Henckles, Wusthof, and Shun knives.  Wusthof Classic is my favorite, but it is a matter of preference.  Feel for a knife that is heavy (the weight will do a lot of work for you) but not uncomfortable and that fits your hand.  A well balanced knife will just feel like an extension of your hand.  Buy forged, not pressed steel.  Forged is more expensive but worth it in quality.  If you have a good cutlery or gourmet store where you live, buy them there and take classes on how to use them.

Have them professionally sharpened when they need it and only wash them by hand.  They will serve you better than any other tool.

You need a 8 inch or more chef's or santoku knife, a 9 inch or more bread knife and a pairing knife.  You can get more, but you don't really need them.

If my house was on fire and I could only grab one thing, it would be my knives, I swear.

I was coming to post this exact thing.  Except my knife flavor was the Shun knives.  Just go somewhere and try all 3 and pick the one that you feel the most comfortable with.  This is a total fit thing per user.  I have an 8 inch Chef, 6.5 inch Santoku, 5 inch utility, 5 inch tomato (I grow my own maters so this is a necessity), and a paring knife.  No Shun bread knife.  I have my grandfather's bread knife and the guy made mean bread in his day.  It's junk but it works and it's a sentimental thing.

I also got a whet stone.  Really helps to keep them razor sharp.  Got some nicks in the blade though so they will be going off for the professional sharpening soon.

Do not keep a knife in a wooden block.  If the blade slides down the edge of the slot for the knife it will dull faster than if kept on a magnetic strip (also is a cool effect)

Some other things to get:

Good pots and pans.  Find what you like but don't buy for the look.  Copper is definitely out unless you plan on just using them for decoration.  Do not by a set.  Buy what you need.  Same for the knives.  If you buy sets you will find that you use the same 3 or 4 things over and over and the rest is wasted.

Tongs.  Good grips make great grill and indoor tongs.

A microplane.  Fantastic for shaving hard cheeses (parm, asiago, romano) and zesting. 

A good Mandolin Slicer

A small coffee grinder for grinding up fresh herbs and spices

A couple of really good cutting boards.  I have 4.  One gigantic one (about 3'X2') that can accommodate 4 whole slabs of ribs, a large round one (about 24 inches), a medium rectangular (18"X14") and a small bamboo board (9"X4").  Bamboo is the best material if you are into the environment as it is easily replenished.  These make great serving platters for things like cheeses and antipasto.

A baking stone (never use soap on it)

A cast iron skillet

Couple spatulas and wooden spoons and a nice container to put on the counter to hold all of this stuff. 

And I cannot stress enough that you get a pepper grinder.  Outside of dessert, I can't think of a meal that I don't use mine.  I have two.  One with white and one with black pepper. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thehazelwood
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008 05:55:51 PM »

I definitely agree with Wusthof knives (I prefer the Classic Ikon, a bit more comfortable to hold). If you're looking for single knives, an 8" Chef's knife, and a 7" Santouku are definitely needed.
Whoever mention Shun knives, I would not recommend them. Japanese knives are preferred by some cooks, but the Shun seems to get nicks in the blade for some reason.

Definitely if you plan to do any baking you NEED a Kitchen Aid mixer. For bread doughs the higher power models are much better, but you can get away with the basic models for occasional bread or pie-crust type doughs.

All-Clad is your best choice for cookware, and you can definitely tell the difference between that and cheap-o cookware Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot New Hairstyles for 2015
How to Get Bangs Without Actually Cutting Your Hair
This Trick Will Make Your Hair Look Longer in Seconds
An Easy Trick to Hide Your Thinning Hair
Get Your Swag On: The Haircut That Will Rule 2015
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...