A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Backyard BBQ Christmas...help!!  (Read 553 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shana82
« on: December 22, 2008 08:14:31 PM »

Okay, so here's the deal.  I am hosting Orphan's Christmas at my house this year (all my single displaced friends who can't be with their families this year - there are quite a few of us).  My house is adorable and perfect for entertaining except for one glaring problem.  My stove is approximately 50 years old.  (I'm serious...I have never seen a stove like this.  It is electric, the oven portion on top and the back two burners pull out like a drawer.  The house is from the 50s and I think its original.) The oven part does not hold a constant temp and I have one working burner. My options for cooking include the one burner, a microwave and a charcoal grill (the benefits of living in Miami!).

Everyone coming knows of the limited cooking situation and are coming with low expectations Smiley  Does anyone have any ideas for some yummy stuff I can make with my limited situation?  I cooked Thanksgiving for pretty much the same group this year, so they know I can cook so I can't completly blow it off.  I am making some of my amazing christmas candy and some no bake cookies and planning to get some stuff to throw on the grill. Anyone have any awesome ideas I can add to this?  If not I'm planning to just supplement with lots of wine...but I see this as kind of a fun challenge Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008 09:51:25 PM »

Salads??  Can be made ahead, most of them don't need cooking, they're super easy and if it's warm enough for grill cooking it's warm enough for salads..

Antipasto Platters??  Marinated eggplant, artichoke, sun dreid tomotoes, olives, ham, proscuitto, crusty bread..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheFanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008 08:30:35 AM »

OK, I need to know a few things first.  What type of grill are we talking about here?  Is it large, small, charcoal, gas?  Also how much time do you have to stand over the grill and make sure everything is going well?

Without know that info, I am limited in the advice I can give.

But I do have a pretty simple recipe for you.  My dad does this every year.  He goes to the butcher at the local grocery store and asks for Ribeye steaks sliced a quarter to a third of an inch thick.  He takes that home and the night before he throws them in with some worcestershire, garlic, black pepper, and a little cola.  The next day he pulls the steak out about an hour before cooking and then gets the grill going.  Salt each side a bit before throwing on the grill.  He gets a moderately hot fire and just sears the steak on each side for just a minute or two and throws the steak in a large flat container with foil on the top (a chafing dish would work .  Usually you have to cook these in shifts as there isn't enough grill space to do them all at once. 

Bring them inside, and toss them in a low oven to keep the warm or onto some other heat source if using a chafing dish.  Provide hogie or french bread rolls pre sliced, cheese, mustard/ketchup/mayo, lettuce, etc on the side.  If you want to get really crazy, sauted mushrooms, onions, and/or peppers make a GREAT topping.  Me, all they need is a little mayo and cheese.  In the end you have extremely delicious and tender steak sammiches.  BTW, pepper jack cheese goes great on these things.

Other possibilities for a crowd would be indirecting a prime rib.  This is going to take about 3 hours depending on the size of the PR.

I could explain the process of smoking a fatty.  Not that kind of fatty.  It's basically smoked sausage with whatever you want to use for ingredients from a sweet fatty with apple, garlic and vadalia onion, to a fatty stuffed with prosciutto and blue cheese. 

ABTs?  These aren't going to sound appetizing by their name but they are DELISH.  They are called Atomic Buffalo Turds.  Buy jalepenos and slice them lengthwise down the middle.  Take a melon baller and remove all the seeds and white flesh.  Then lay them so the inside is facing up (leave the stem on).  Add some cream cheese to the little basin you just created.  Top with a little smoky sausage link and then wrap with a half slice of bacon and secure the bacon with a toothpick. I know they sound hot because of the jalepeno's but I promise you they are not.  I served them for 30 on Halloween and only a single person complained about the heat.  Even those that always say they don't like hot food were OK with them.

These things go on the grill till the bacon looks done. 

If you are interested in the fatties, I can give you a more indepth explanation...GL...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Date/Time Stamp from Your Photos
New Mic Test - Product review
How to Use Vanishing Point Tool in Photoshop
How to Import Brushes in Photoshop
How to Create Grey Hair in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...