A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheapest/Easiest Last min gift ever-Chocolate Toffee Pieces; "Christmas Crack!"  (Read 143946 times)
Tags for this thread: baking , candy , toffee , chocolate , gift , recipe , frugal , holiday , christmas , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2011 02:24:51 AM »

Oh you are welcome sweetie. I keep planning on getting a pic of those Aldi crackers so that people on this side of the pond know what to use.

Thank you so much for the recipe..it will be the bulk of my christmas giving this year. Just those little tokens for friends. I have been collecting pretty tins and boxes to package it. I have yet to find someone who doesn't absolutely adore it when they try it. And given that no-one has any money any more..it is the perfect cheap, fast gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sedrasmom
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2011 07:05:05 PM »

Sounds decadent...except that I really hate saltines. So I'm going to try making it with pretzels. Cuz pretzels are awesome. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2011 08:28:36 PM »

Sounds decadent...except that I really hate saltines. So I'm going to try making it with pretzels. Cuz pretzels are awesome. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

You don't really taste the Saltines, just the toffee goodness.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
reginamicia
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2011 06:48:43 AM »

and thank you from me also! i made it saturday night and my bf and his friend flipped, it was so good. I enjoy it also!! (but i enjoy seeing them enjoy it!) my bf heard the ingredients and was suspicious, but the look on his face killed me, he was shocked!

would it be possible to craft some sort of smores dessert in this fashion? get fluff or marshmallows to a different consistency? graham crackers? hmmm....

still, the crack will make its way to all my gifts and the office this year Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2011 06:52:05 AM »

every year I seem to double the amount I made the previous years..this year I am up to 4X the recipe amount and OMG it is good..
!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2012 11:45:17 PM »

I made this last year and it worked out well, except I had to keep it refrigerated or the chocolate would become too soft and messy in your hands. This year I made a trial version before I started making it at Christmastime, but I used white chocolate chips. I remembered that last time the heat from the toffee wasn't enough to melt the chocolate chips so I went ahead and put it in the oven for 1.5 minutes to melt but it still didn't melt. So I put it in for another 3 minutes and it STILL wasn't melted (and the white chocolate chips were slightly browned and when I squished them they looked gritty as when you microwave chocolate too long), so I think they cooked but I'm not sure why they didn't melt at all. :/ Any ideas?

The toffee didn't harden either. :|
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012 12:10:36 AM by psycho_happy_kitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2012 05:48:49 AM »

Well, if the oven wasn't hot enough to melt your chocolate, than it certainly wouldn't have been hot enough to boil your toffee.  As with all candy making, the toffee has to get to a specific temperature in order to harden.  I would get an oven thermometer and turn your oven on to see if it's actually heating to the temperature on the dials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2012 12:16:12 PM »

definitely making these again this year, they are SO popular, mind you the only problem is that Aldi on this side of the pond, that used to make a  very similar cracker to Saltines, don't seem to make them anymore, so the search is on for a replacement..

can't wait to eat the experiments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2012 04:15:08 PM »

I've been told Matzo works quite well too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2012 04:22:49 AM »

Well, if the oven wasn't hot enough to melt your chocolate, than it certainly wouldn't have been hot enough to boil your toffee.  As with all candy making, the toffee has to get to a specific temperature in order to harden.  I would get an oven thermometer and turn your oven on to see if it's actually heating to the temperature on the dials.

Well, the oven was hot enough to cook the chocolate... but I think you're right. I think it's something to do with the oven. Last year the toffee was at least hard. This year, however, I am using a Japanese oven and I think the conduction in it is different than American ovens. I was using parchment paper in the oven the other day and the flow of the air kept flapping it around. Maybe I will try my boyfriend's American oven at his house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prevent Sewing a Button on Too Tightly
How to Prevent a Ball of Yarn from Getting Tangled
How to Crochet: Hook Size and Chaining
How to Make Incense
How to Make Disappearing Ink
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...