A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheapest/Easiest Last min gift ever-Chocolate Toffee Pieces; "Christmas Crack!"  (Read 146669 times)
Tags for this thread: baking , candy , toffee , chocolate , gift , recipe , frugal , holiday , christmas , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vampira_666
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2010 11:21:45 AM »

This is soooo good!!! I make it every year.. but I've never use saltines before-- I always use Breton crackers & it's so delicious!! I think I might try the saltines for a "cheaper' alternative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
Merry Bobbins
making it look easy

I wear safety glasses while sewing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2010 01:55:45 PM »

and here i have always said crack is whack... I cannot wait to try this, I am making it later today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrettyCleverThings

I came, I saw, I crafted

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2010 11:51:21 AM »

Holy mackinaw! I'm so happy that this post was featured and I'm sooo happy that it's so easy to make! I made two batches today, and as soon as I can get some orange zest... uhm, zested, I'm going to make more!

Thanks jennieingram!

Anyway, pics of my Christmas crack and the variations I made are on my blog:

http://www.prettycleverthings.com/2010/12/17/christmas-crack-or-what-you-can-expect-from-santa-this-year/?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=craftster&utm_content=post
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inkie
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2010 02:20:45 PM »

I was thinking about making this a little bit healthier ( ::)iknowrite?) by using a canola and palm oil spread that is usually great, sometimes better for baking.  However, it's only 70% oil, and though someone mentioned Earth Balance spread as working for this recipe, Earth Balance has a slightly higher oil content.  Has anyone had a good experience working with 70% or less vegetable oil spreads?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2010 09:55:46 PM »

I made a batch yesterday and being the queen of instant gratification, used margarine instead of butter. It was all I had. Tomorrow I will be going out and getting real butter to do this with. It came out gooey and...well, kind of nasty. The kids are picking at it and insist that it's good but I think they are just being nice. Will update if the butter makes it any better. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astica
« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2010 04:32:56 PM »

Thanks so much for posting this Smiley
I made a batch the year your first posted this, and when I happened to come across this (being featured on the main page definitely helped!) I decided to make another Cheesy they're in the fridge hardening up now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: December 19, 2010 08:33:45 PM »

Made a batch today and I must say it is very xtremly addictive. OMGness!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
svanabnana
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2010 12:17:04 AM »

Roll Eyes Grin So addicting!! Love it!! Made a batch two days ago and have another cooling in the fridge right now Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexania
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2010 01:11:51 AM »

Okay assuming I'm not from the US and "a packet" isn't a standard measure over here. How much chocolate would a "Packet of choc chips" be about? In grams?

Also does anyone know what a cream cracker is and whether it would work instead of a saltine (I don't know what those are). Otherwise I'll just use Marie biscuits, they work in most things, they're sweet though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2010 04:47:00 AM »

alexania I used really good chocolate chips and perhaps about 100g of them. I wouldn't use Marie biscuits, this works because of the contrast between sweet and salt. If you have an aldi near you, they sell a salted cracker that is very like a saltine (biggish red packet, they have three varieties, salt, wholewheat and plain..get the salted ones) failing that I would consider TUC, someone said earlier in the thread that the were too thick, but you need a salty cracker, creamcrackers are too bland, and thick
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010 04:47:29 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.3
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.2
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.1
Photoshop - Creating Star Wars Crawl P.1
Photoshop - Turning a Photo into a Cartoon P.2
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...