A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheapest/Easiest Last min gift ever-Chocolate Toffee Pieces; "Christmas Crack!"  (Read 142050 times)
Tags for this thread: baking , candy , toffee , chocolate , gift , recipe , frugal , holiday , christmas , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2009 01:36:53 PM »

Whenever we are invited anywhere anymore I am asked to bring the "crack." I don't mind, it's super easy and I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilyDay
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2009 01:27:43 AM »

Wow YUM! haha

I haven't tried this yet, but I love love love salty sweet chocolate together! One of my favourite combos is butter/salted movie popcorn with malteasers! Mmm

I don't know what saltines are, but I did some research and they kinda look like Salada's, so I'm going to try that, There are so many recipies I'd love to try but am missing one or two ingredients as we can't get them in Australia

Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/LilyDay

Every little thing I do
Trickles down and lands on you
I don't plan to get it wrong
Maybe keep your raincoat on
zkatom
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2009 01:10:05 PM »

WOW!  This is GOOD!!!  I've made it a few times now.  Smiley 

The first time we did a mix of walnuts and cashews on top, the cashews were a bit too mild of a flavor to really pick up.  The walnuts were super tasty though!  I've also tried it with milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate and despite my love of milk chocolate, i think i like the semi-sweet chocolate better.  To appease a fiance with a dislike of chocolate (crazy, yes, but what can you do?) I've tried it with the white baking chips.  This is also very tasty.  In general, I'm not a huge fan of the white baking chips, so of course I prefer the chocolate variety.  I also made it using a layer of mini pretzel sticks instead of saltines.  OMG, if you love chocolate covered pretzels, this is just AMAZING.  I want to try putting a little orange zest into the chocolate next time. 

Thank you soooo much for the recipe!!!!!  I'm enjoying a piece right now!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEnglishMajor

I am. I think. I will.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2009 12:59:46 PM »

I just wanted to post a couple of pics of my own experience making this (too!) delicious chocolate covered crack. I made it as a Christmas present for a close friend and her family. My first pan was pretty terrible. The lesson learned was this: do NOT use whipped butter for this recipe. It will only give you about half of the butter you actually need. Second lesson: do NOT put your hand under a spoon dripping with boiling hot toffee...that's just a general life lesson.

Second batch was waaaaay better.

My little additive: toasted almond slices. VERY nice. Just toast in a sauce pan over low heat before you sprinkle on melting chocolate.

To all the skeptics going: "Saltines? Really?" I swear, it's fantastic.

E.M.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2009 02:03:01 PM »

I keep hearing about the wonders of Christmas Crack and am definitely going to make it this year.  It is so on my baking/making list!!
Thanks for the yummy reminder!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
RubySugar

"and ideas are bulletproof."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2009 06:59:00 PM »

My mom used to make this for us when we were growing up. We called them Heath Bars though and when I left home I copied a lot of my mom's recipes down. But I misspelled it and wrote "Health Bars" and that's what we call them now. Health Bars. They taste like home. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanut
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2009 05:21:20 PM »

Angry I really wish you hadn't shared this recipe.  I made a batch and DH and I have eaten most of it this afternoon.  This stuff should be a controlled substance.

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
stafishtaylz
Don't lose your dinosaur.

I have a rock, I have an iron.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2009 10:41:28 AM »

Im making this again to give to some of my staff this week before I am on my Christmas break. I will see them mostly between Tues and Fri. Does anything think if I make them tonight that they will freeze well? If so, should I take them out the morning I plan to give them out? And if so, should I keep them in the fridge or on the counter...I'm worried they may get all condensation-y...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2009 12:17:35 PM »

Stafishtaylz - Store the same way you would crackers.  Air tight and room temperature.
Soooooo good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carleybby
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2009 04:41:45 PM »

My mom used to make this for Christmas all the time.
We haven't made it in ages, we'll have to make them again.
They're so good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Landscapes
Photographing a Common Toad
Photographing Sea Birds
Photographing Woodland Birds
Photographing Birds of Prey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...