A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheapest/Easiest Last min gift ever-Chocolate Toffee Pieces; "Christmas Crack!"  (Read 164446 times)
Tags for this thread: baking , candy , toffee , chocolate , gift , recipe , frugal , holiday , christmas , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009 12:42:31 PM »

My mother in law is celiac so rather than saltines we used a gluten free cracker - Mary's Gone Crackers Original Seed Crackers. Those are a rice based cracker loaded with sesame seeds. Unfortunately I had bought them in bulk from Costco and then found out that no one, especially my mother in law, likes them. (Sorry Mary's...  Undecided ) When I saw this recipe I thought maybe covering them with sugar and chocolate would help.

Shocked OMG Shocked
The sesame seeds give it an almost scorched taste. Not so bad that it's yucky, but rather just enough that it is delicious! We made two batches of the stuff and they lasted about a week.

Ok, a couple of days, not a week, but there were 6 of us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

illi
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009 10:31:09 AM »

ahhhhh ... i need this.. yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paperairplanes
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009 11:53:47 AM »

yum!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009 12:41:17 PM »

i have been dying to try this since i saw a similar recipe a couple years ago...you have reminded me, and i am going to use you recipe.  it looks great! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009 02:46:55 PM »

well i finally got around to making these with the cheez-its. while they were every bit as tasty and addictive as the ones made with saltines, i think I like the saltines version better.  because the cheez-its were so thin they didnt soak up as much of the toffee stuff as the saltines did.  again, i could eat the whole pan in one sitting, but nuthin beats the original imo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stafishtaylz
Don't lose your dinosaur.

I have a rock, I have an iron.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2009 11:43:38 AM »

I've made this 3 times in the past 2 weeks. The first two times I used regular ritz type crackers and I did not like it. The first batch was okay though. The second batch I used margerine, and it was awful. Third batch I'm taking to a party tonight. I used saltines and butter and it came out PERFECT. I think it will be a huge success.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maeveyo
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009 10:33:37 AM »

hmm this sounds great
im thinking of making some next week but one problem. i live in ireland and have no idea what saltines are. could anyone give me like an equivalent? are they like cream crackers or digestive biscuits or?HuhHuhUndecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2009 10:37:05 AM »

Well, according to wikipedia:
A saltine or soda cracker is a thin, usually square cracker made from white flour, shortening, yeast, and baking soda, with some varieties lightly sprinkled with coarse salt. It has perforations throughout its surface, to allow steam to escape for uniform rising, and along the edges, as individual crackers are broken from larger sheets during manufacture. It has a very dry and crisp texture, as it is made with less shortening than varieties such as Ritz crackers.

Here is the article, which has a picture of them:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltines

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hheever
Hooked on Crochet worked for me.

Help, I started crocheting, and I can't stop!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009 07:32:57 PM »

hmm.. I think I overcooked the sugar mixture, it is much much darker than yours.... Maybe I should try light brown sugar.  Still looks good tho
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic-Buffy Summers

Mine is much more advanced-Xander Harris

I-I like my women like I like my coffee, er, covered in bees! [to the bees] All right, back off, back off! Argh!" -Eddie Izzard

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss-Rent
Asheri
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009 04:36:50 PM »

Ohman are these good! I added caramel morsels at the same time as I added the chocolate because I halved the recipe and didn't end up with enough toffee to quite cover the crackers-- very tasty.
Thanks so much for the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short Stories and Plot Analysis
Short Stories and Theme Analysis
Short Stories and Setting Analysis
Short Stories and Symbols Analysis
Did LBJ Predict a Hillary Rodham Clinton Presidency?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...