A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 45
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twilight Swap Rd. 5  (Read 23108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lunamione
Spirit of the West

Y'know where steel wool comes from? Robot sheep!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2009 07:27:45 AM »

Oh and Lunamoine, how does it feel to know you have a date with both Harry Potter and Edward Cullen in 2009?  Cool

Words just can't describe it honey Wink In fact since our first date was so awesome I'm seeing Edward again tomorrow!  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
This Harry Potter bloke is playing a bit hard to get though, making me wait so long... oh well more time with Mr Cullen Cheesy

(I also find it terribly amusing that the spell check always wants to change my user name to "Landmine" Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The stage is waiting. The audience thirsts for adventure. Who am I? I could be anyone. -- Rango

He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot
tavernkitty
Amigo of the Catigos

Woot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2009 10:58:35 AM »

I too, admittedly, love Edward.  But I'm a hopeless romantic, and let's face it, he's Mr. Darcy, Edmund Rochester, and Sir Galahad all in one.  I've noticed there's been a lot of questioning why Edward appeals to readers/women of a wide range of ages, and I'm kind of getting annoyed with the question.  It's so painfully obvious.  It's not the fact that he's young and handsome.  (Though as Elizabeth Bennet points out "he's young and handsome, which a young man ought to be if at all possible.)  It's the fact that he's a gentleman in a way that men today are not.  He doesn't consider Bella to be less than himself because she is a woman (or a "weak human"), but he does see her as a fragile creature that he yearns to protect.  This is a trait that endured throughout history, with some nice consequences, (ie chivalry), and some lousy consequences (ie less pay for the same work).  He's deeply romantic, (which is something our society now looks down on in men); he's willing to do literally anything to protect her, even destroy himself; but ultimately he strives to *become* a better man for her, giving himself his very own quest...  but he's NOT perfect.  Like Edmund Rochester he thinks he's a monster, and like Mr. Darcy he lives too much inside his own head and doesn't consider the fact that he could be wrong.  What could be better than a flawed hero?  Literature has proved his value time and again.  Romantic, dashing, strong, kind, thoughtful, handsome, and literally able to love you and only you, forever. 

Ok, now I'm scaring myself... I gotta let this go.  It can't be healthy...  (I did in fact have a dream that involved characters from the books last night.  Trust me, never show up to a vampire wedding in less than black tie formal wear....)

LOL. I am SO glad I wasnt the only one who started to draw the inevitable comparisons of Edward to Mr.Darcy when first reading twilight. Nothing is better than a flawed hero, I believe therein is where we glimpse the most humanity in the vampire figure. No one can be perfect, the authors who strive to make vampires perfect in the dark mist of night (mainly my bodice busting romances) lack the humanity I feel when reading a character that is 'handicapped' by some personal baggage. The fact that ultimately Edward is in fact selfish in his own desire to protect also leads credence to his age. He acts much more like the silent era than his siblings.

lol. I would imagine that if you showed up in anything less than steller for a vamp wedding Alice would have that changed faster than you could say "vision of the future".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my Wist
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2009 11:15:36 AM »

I too, admittedly, love Edward.  But I'm a hopeless romantic, and let's face it, he's Mr. Darcy, Edmund Rochester, and Sir Galahad all in one.  I've noticed there's been a lot of questioning why Edward appeals to readers/women of a wide range of ages, and I'm kind of getting annoyed with the question.  It's so painfully obvious.  It's not the fact that he's young and handsome.  (Though as Elizabeth Bennet points out "he's young and handsome, which a young man ought to be if at all possible.)  It's the fact that he's a gentleman in a way that men today are not.  He doesn't consider Bella to be less than himself because she is a woman (or a "weak human"), but he does see her as a fragile creature that he yearns to protect.  This is a trait that endured throughout history, with some nice consequences, (ie chivalry), and some lousy consequences (ie less pay for the same work).  He's deeply romantic, (which is something our society now looks down on in men); he's willing to do literally anything to protect her, even destroy himself; but ultimately he strives to *become* a better man for her, giving himself his very own quest...  but he's NOT perfect.  Like Edmund Rochester he thinks he's a monster, and like Mr. Darcy he lives too much inside his own head and doesn't consider the fact that he could be wrong.  What could be better than a flawed hero?  Literature has proved his value time and again.  Romantic, dashing, strong, kind, thoughtful, handsome, and literally able to love you and only you, forever. 

LOL. I am SO glad I wasnt the only one who started to draw the inevitable comparisons of Edward to Mr.Darcy when first reading twilight. Nothing is better than a flawed hero, I believe therein is where we glimpse the most humanity in the vampire figure. No one can be perfect, the authors who strive to make vampires perfect in the dark mist of night (mainly my bodice busting romances) lack the humanity I feel when reading a character that is 'handicapped' by some personal baggage. The fact that ultimately Edward is in fact selfish in his own desire to protect also leads credence to his age. He acts much more like the silent era than his siblings.

I'm sure Carl Jung would not be surprised that such an archetypal hero stars in a book inspired by a dream! And I think Edward reminds me more of Rochester than Mr. Darcy, but that's just my $0.02. Maybe that's because I like C. Bronte better than Austen. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2009 12:35:43 PM »

...lol. I would imagine that if you showed up in anything less than stellar for a vamp wedding Alice would have that changed faster than you could say "vision of the future".

It was such an odd dream.  One where you know where you are, and you are conscious of the fact that it doesn't look like the place is *supposed* to.  You know the location is off, but you kind of just accept it and go with whatever is happening/changing around you...  Anyways, turns out I found myself at Bella and Edward's wedding oddly enough, but it wasn't in the Cullen's house as it's described or even as it is in the movie.  It was however lovely, and I could pick out items I was seeing and KNOW where they came from (the dining set was actually the same one as in a post here on Craftster that I looked at a few days ago:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=236296.msg2589728;topicseen#msg2589728 )  But in the dream I became suddenly VERY anxious, because I realized that I was in a little blue jersey dress that I like to wear to work, but everyone around me was dressed to the nines.  The men were in morning coats (if you don't know quite what that looks like, see here:  http://www.knize.at/popup/p_stil/images/p_3_4.jpg) and the women in gowns... 
I was suddenly TERRIFIED Alice would see me and be furious at me. After all, I am a costume designer, and I SHOULD be able to dress myself appropriately for an occasion.  I was suddenly furious with myself!  (And heartily embarrassed.)  I kept trying to sneak off to either find myself something to wear or to ditch the wedding so I wouldn't offend anyone, but everyone kept pushing me back towards the party.  It was like having a naked at school dream, where you can't seem to leave... only I was dressed, albeit inappropriately.  How ridiculous is that?!?!  I should get my head examined...  but instead I'll just craft because it is after all, cheaper than therapy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2009 12:43:43 PM »

I'm sure Carl Jung would not be surprised that such an archetypal hero stars in a book inspired by a dream! And I think Edward reminds me more of Rochester than Mr. Darcy, but that's just my $0.02. Maybe that's because I like C. Bronte better than Austen. 

Hehe... I always liked Rochester, but didn't "love" him.  He was a bit too... tortured(?) for my taste.  I know that both the Brontes felt that Austen was no good because she didn't "stir the passions" as they felt authors should do, but I always liked Austen far more.  I guess it's because I tend to see everything as a little bit funny...  she never lets go of her love of human folly, and sees everything through that lens.  I tend to see the funny and ridiculous in people and get turned off by the excessive brooding of the Brontes heros.  I always felt like the Brontes wrote romances, while Austen wrote people...  It doesn't help that I see myself as Elizabeth Bennet either.  With a thoughtful but wry father, a ridiculous mother, a strong sense of humor and self, a love of reading, and my very own tall, dark, and handsome Mr. Darcy... who also dwells a bit too much in his own head, and has a bit too much pride for his own good.  Ah, what fun it is to bring him down a peg! 

I think that's actually why I like Meyer so much.  You can tell she has the same romantic streak and love of lit that we all do, but reading between the lines you get that sense of humor from her too.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandustries
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2009 02:10:25 PM »

Okay, not to totally jump ship on the current topic, but I wanted to say that I've got a medium done. Haha.

Back to discussing dreamy literary characters. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kat21
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2009 05:30:51 PM »

hi everyone I am 95% done on my medium but I have to go back to the shop and get something I forgot so I can finish it and I just started on my large (done about 25% of it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilltheimpossible
« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2009 06:35:24 PM »

hey guys! im done with my large and medium items. just gotta work on those small ones now. i think i know what im doing though:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avari20
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2009 12:30:21 AM »

I feel so far behind! Ya'll are crafting like crazy!

But I'm seriously enjoying the Edward/Darcy/Rochester comparisons...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ava
http://www.wists.com/avari20

Will trade yarn for jewelry supplies! PM me if you're interested!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2009 10:45:22 AM »

Okay, not to totally jump ship on the current topic, but I wanted to say that I've got a medium done. Haha.

Back to discussing dreamy literary characters. Smiley

Ok then... Poll for all of you: 
Who is your favorite literary hero (ASIDE from Edward Cullen... or Jacob Black for all your wolf girls)?  Who makes your heart skip a beat on the written page?  Who do you have to remind yourself is fictional every so often?

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours... ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 45 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Product Shot Tutorial
Adding a Watermark in Photoshop
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...