A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holiday Tartan Afghan  (Read 8644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laughingsister
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008 11:01:49 AM »

Wow, you did a great job on the plaid - I am totally impressed.

Thanks cmouse01 for loking at the pattern i found and telling me about it and urs!  Grin i REALLY wanna make a blanket like this! maybe i will do it next year sometime.. i might work out a baby/child size one first try out some colours and get the method down before commiting to a huge one! and the way my friends are at the mo, there'll be more babies next yr definitely (seems theres around 2-3 per yr atm)!! hahah!

A note about making this for a baby: NOT RECOMMENDED - my 'sister of the heart' made one for my daughter when she was a baby. One afternoon I put my darling daughter down for a nap and went in later to check on her; she had somehow pulled one of the woven chains far enough out to get it wrapped round her neck. She was peacefully sleeping, no harm done, but it sure scared me. I never let her sleep with that blankie again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knerd
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008 12:16:43 PM »

That's absolutely lovely!

I'm such a fan of plaid that I've always been tempted to make one of these for myself, but I've never been able to find a pattern that I liked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008 06:57:13 AM »

This is fantastic - I love the woven crocheted pieces I've been seeing lately - they're such a great twist on a common stitch, and the finished product looks so different!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
hipmama1970
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008 10:32:33 AM »

Oh. Mah. Gosh!

I HAVE to make this for my mother in law, she adores a particular tartan (Stewart? I'll have to find out) and she's very into gifts that are unique.

Woohoo! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
inked79
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008 02:38:45 PM »

Wow you did a great job.  I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmouse01
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008 03:20:27 PM »

How much would you charge for something like that?

I have no idea. I probably spent close to $30 in yarn (and then they raised the price) - I suppose there's no way I could get the value in amount of time I spent on this.  I started late Sept and finished the first weekend in Dec.  That wasn't working full-time; I could only work on it nights and weekend, and even then only for about an hour a time because it was such repetitious work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmouse01
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008 03:23:50 PM »

You afghan looks wonderful, I have been thinking about afghans for next Christmas already but don't know if I am brave enough to try one of these.

Go for it!  I still consider myself a beginning crocheter, and didn't think this pattern was difficult.  It's just DC (double-crochet) and chain stitches to make the "grid" and chain stitches for the strips to weave.  Maybe the toughest part is to change colors, so if you know how to do that, it'll be a snap!

Oh, and an update - My mother-in-law absolutely loved the afghan!   Said she was going to take it to her quilting group this next week to show it off.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beverooni
One Yarn After Another

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008 02:36:44 PM »

That is absolutely b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l! Our last name is Matheson, which is Scottish and we have a clan tartan. How sweet would it be to make baby blankets for the new little Mathesons born so it looked like the tartan? I love this -- you did an amazing job. I bet it was very time intensive but SO worth the effort. I am nearly speechless. (Yeah, right -- that's be the day.)
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beverooni says, "Happiness is a hook in one hand and yarn in the other."
JetSet
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008 08:33:58 PM »

I have the booklet of tartan patterns like this. Kudos to you for being patient with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trocks
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008 08:26:58 AM »

Oh wow!  So pretty!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sony Vegas tutorial: How to make 2 or more clones
How to Find Recent Files in Photoshop
Invert Adjustment Layer-Make a Color Infra Red Effect Action
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Kick it Off #4 - Setting Type Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...