A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,518
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to carry a little dog?  (Read 3894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KandZ
« on: December 22, 2008 08:56:11 AM »

My son and his wife just got a new dog.  New for them anyway -- YAY RESCUE.  She's a "Chiweiner" (Chihuahua/Daschund mix) and weighs 7.5 lb.  My DIL wants a way to carry her, and I can't find a "dog purse" anywhere.  Now if just knew where to find a group of people who might be able to help me figure out the best way to make one...  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  TIA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StyleEstate
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008 09:07:20 AM »

You could try these to sites.

http://www.petsalley.com/dogcarriers.asp

http://www.glamourdog.com/puppy-purses.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.styleestate.com   "Create - Collaborate - Decorate - Style Estate!"

Please help me get Style Estate off the ground Smiley
yorkiemischief
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008 07:30:00 PM »

Hi! You could make one a couple different ways depending on how she wants to carry the pup.  You could make a sling style bag that goes cross body (rounded on the bottom is good).  Then the dog could just stick his head out the top.  You could also make a tote bag style (for the shoulder) and cut out a dip on one side for the head to stick out the side.  Make sure you pad the bottom in either case.

My 6lb Yorkie prefers her sling carrier but will actually sit in just about any tote bag she fits in as long as she can stick her head out.  She does not like the enclosed carriers.  Since I don't "sneak" her places, this is fine.  If your DIL wants one that zips up with mesh and all that stuff you should just buy one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008 07:50:21 PM »

Etsy.com has an 'Alchemy' feature where you post a description of what you want made and a price range, and people bid on it. You accept the bid that sounds best to you, and that party makes the item for you. I have done one Alchemy request, and am in the process of doing another. Check it out if you don't think you can make one yourself. Better yet, do a personal swap with someone here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008 04:26:47 AM »

Sadly this link does not have pictures but the directions look great!
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1210039/how_to_sew_a_dog_carrier_bag.html?cat=53

There are also a slew of patterns to purchase for these - I know my local Hancock's sells the McCalls and Simplicity patterns for 99cents very often so that would be a cheap way to get a pattern.  You can also check your local library for a book like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Dog-Dogwear-Custom-Travel/dp/1589231694/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230726089&sr=8-4  *I have this one - it's great!

Your best bet will probably be a store bought pattern or book if you can get it cheap enough - you will be given the materials you need to properly reinforce it and whatnot.
I have also read that people put their dogs in baby strollers but I can't bring myself to do that for my toy poodle.  He does however ride in a basket on the front of my bike!

oh - someone here on craftster used a sling pattern to carry their cat in.... same concept on the sling.. the link to the tutorial is given in the first post.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=108305.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008 04:28:42 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009 09:33:27 AM »

Cesar Milan does not think dogs should be carted around like children, they are dogs and should be treated as such, you may find yourself with an extremely anxious dog trying to dominate all in the household...purse carrying should be kept to a minimum, Paris hilton is not the goto for how to train or treat a dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le Mieux
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 01:42:14 PM »

my mum and boyfriend are OBSESSED with cesar milan!! his ideas totally work, and we've even got our beagle to answer to commands.....the man is a genius!!

however, when it comes to tiny dogs, sometimes you have to carry them. my bro has a chihuahua and its impossible to take her in busy places without having to pick her up or put her in her bag. she gets so scared around too many people or big dogs, but loves being in the bag, and is still very much part of the pack, not the leader  Smiley  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 09:29:44 AM »

I know, crowds can be dangerous to tiny dogs,that being said I know someone with a teacup sized dog that was carried  everywhere by her owner(even at home) and now must be carried at all times by her owner and only her owner or she falls apart into an anxious little mess.  that is why I said it should be kept to a minimum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blungoldangel
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009 11:02:24 AM »

you could buy some window screen material and make a regular purse with that for the end pieces so the doggie can breathe and see out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009 05:32:04 AM »

It's a really bad idea to carry dogs. My vet rants about it all the time - they get lazy, they get anxious, but the biggest thing is that if you drop them or they fall it is EXTREMELY likely that their legs will break - or worse. They have four legs, you have two. Let them walk their own damn selves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Alexus1325
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009 10:05:22 PM »

My mom has a case like this one:

http://www.petsalley.com/petdufflecarrier.asp

Except the top AND sides are mesh. She uses it to take the cats to the vet. Susha and Boris (her ankle-biters) both wear harnesses and are simply carried like a football if it's necessary to carry them for any reason (for example, there's a broken bottle on the sidewalk). Otherwise, they use their little feet.

I agree your DIL shouldn't carry the dog more than necessary, for example only for vet visits, or if she absolutely MUST take the dog somewhere potentially dangerous. Booties to protect the feet may be a better option if walking-hazards are what she's worried about (eg, that broken bottle). Besides, it's easier to clean up feces from the ground with a little baggy than it is to wash out a bag in a restaurant bathroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proper_Boogie

Books and sails and puppy dog tails

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009 08:26:00 PM »

If the dog is small enough, and the dog in your situation sounds pretty small, I think a plain old sling like the ones some women carry their babies in would work fine. If you're not planning on carrying it for long distances, and if the dog is the cuddly sort who likes being held anyway, a sling would be probably work for carrying it to and from the vet/dog park/etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
1watermonkey
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009 03:17:25 PM »

Congrats on their new dog and kudos to them for rescuing her!  Smiley

I have seen several patterns for pet carriers at the fabric store that don't look too difficult.  There is also the option of a sling.  But I agree that they should avoid carrying her all the time, and let her walk as much as possible, it will help with socialization and exercise.  I have three little dogs and with the exception of my oldest who had a head injury, and cannot lead, they walk almost all the time, on harnesses in case there is any immediate danger so I could pull them up right away.  The one I do carry if we go out is 8 pounds and I just carry her in my arm.  Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 2/3
How To Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
How to Make a Traditional Baked Easter Ham
How to Make Corn Dogs
How to Make Corn Chowder
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...