A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk goggles!  (Read 25792 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , goggles , costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luna1375
« on: December 22, 2008 07:50:00 AM »

This is merely part of a costume I am working on for DragonCon '09, which will not be until September. I know I have tons of time, but when inspiration hits, I have to make it NOW!  Eventually I'm going to be a steampunk airship pirate, and so far all I have are shoes (purchased) and these goggles:

Unfortunately I didn't take process pictures, but the process was basically trial and error anyway.  No, I didn't do the rivets myself, that whole side piece was part of the purse I cut up.  Here's the remains of it, plus the rest of the supplies, minus the hot glue gun, sewing stuff, and translucent green plastic plates I used for the lenses:

That little silver thing is a trinket box from the wedding section of the Dollar Tree. They come three in a pack, that's my leftover.  I only used the lids, which have a bit of a rim to keep the lenses in, but they don't have a center so you don't need to cut anything out.  I traced them with a sharpie onto a green translucent plastic plate (bought at Wal-mart, probably find them lots of places) to make the lenses. 

I used paper to make a pattern for the eye cups, just doing it over and over until I got it right, (well, almost right, I still had to add an extra piece of leather after I put them together) and I hot glued everything together, then started adding more pieces like the back connecting strap and the extra strip towards the front for stability. 

The adjustable strap to hold them on was just the purse's strap, which is glued and sewn (just a few stitches by hand) for extra stability. And then for extra-extra stability and to neaten things up a bit I lined the insides of the cups with black duct tape.  Oh!  And to keep the lenses from falling out, they're retained with strips of the black adhesive foam, as you can kind of see in this blurry picture:

I have seen lots of ways to make steampunk goggles online, and I always thought the lenses would be the hardest part, but using these Dollar Tree tins and the plastic plate was super easy, so I just had to share.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008 07:52:34 AM by Luna1375 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
PixieDust721
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008 08:13:18 AM »

wow!  this is really cool!  I havn't seen anyone make these yet, but i'm sure they will now Smiley
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008 08:15:31 AM by PixieDust721 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Maestra
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008 08:16:39 AM »

Super awesome and what a creative use of materials!  If thrift stores only knew what happens to some of the belts, purses, fabric articles and jewelry they sell...
Con costumers are some of the most ingenious people I know!  And kudos on not waiting until the last minute.

Is there any way to see an action shot???

BTW - Wouldn't you love to see a Con costume thread on Craftster - because making some of the things for Cons (clothes, shoes, props, accessories, etc) is not like costuming for Halloween!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008 08:23:12 AM »

Yeeeeeesssss! You are my hero! I've been trying to figure out what to use to make my own goggles, I was about to give up and just buy some. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luna1375
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008 08:57:37 AM »

La Maestra - I'll do an action shot eventually I'm sure, when I get the whole thing done.  Which might not be for months, but we'll see. And I'm pretty sure this board is for non-Halloween costumes, and the Halloween board is in a different place.

Mouseatethekitty - You're quite welcome!  Like I said, I've seen other ones online, but I didn't want to mess with cutting or grinding any metal, since I don't have tools for that. When I saw those boxes at the Dollar Tree, I was like Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008 09:44:38 AM »

Completely amazing, and this is some thrift for your tucus here! Smiley

Rockin'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Malibukasey
If your stomach feels weak then, my work here is done

(::) (::)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008 10:29:43 AM »

\m/  THIS ROCKS!! \m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Maestra
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008 01:02:33 PM »

And I'm pretty sure this board is for non-Halloween costumes, and the Halloween board is in a different place.

Yes I know - I think you misunderstood my point.  This thread is kind of a catch-all costume thread - Con costumes are in a class of their own, in my opinion - not like a "standard" costume (ie: steampunk -vs- your standard princess costume - or cosplay -vs- standard fairy - or Firefly -vs- standard pirate).  Steampunk, for example, a more specialized costume involving a great deal more creativity and searching for materials than a costume where you can buy a pattern, standard fabric, and props from a store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008 02:34:18 PM »

I love it, and I would honestly never have thought of using a purse...Thanks so much.

I agree with La Maestra-- thrift stores were made for Cons:P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luna1375
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008 02:49:36 PM »

Oh, ok, gotcha La Maestra!  I thought since you specifically mentioned Halloween, that you specifically wanted a non-Halloween costume board, and since I thought this was that, I got confused. It happens a lot.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Fried Rice
How to Make Thai Drunken Noodles
How to Make Healthy Nigiri Sushi Recipe
How to Make Indian Dal
How to Make California Rolls with Special Sushi Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...