A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first cosplay - Totoro!  (Read 5366 times)
Tags for this thread: totoro , cosplay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 24, 2010 11:57:48 PM »

Yesterday, I went to AVCon, which is the Adelaide anime and video game convention. I decided I would go as Totoro, because, well, Totoro is awesome!

Please ignore the double chin, Dad always insists on kneeling down to photograph me, which makes me look huge! Anyway. I learned a LOT from making this costume. I used a Simplicity pattern as a template for it, and made a test suit out of cheap white fabric first. Then when I made the real costume I made it a lot fatter, in kind of a teardrop shape. I used a grey fleece for the main body which was stretchy...BIG mistake! The stretch stuffed up a lot of my measurements, and I was almost going to throw the whole thing in the bin after my first attempt at the white belly ended up really lopsided. But then I added more white to it to try and fix it (which is why the white is in two parts) and handsewed it on, and it ended up looking ok. I handsewed on the tail (not pictured) and the grey upside-down Vs on the belly. I had mittens and spats as well, which you can't really see in the picture.

For the headband, I just bought a plain black headband and glued grey fleece to it, then made the ears out of the same fleece. I didn't stuff the ears, I just put two black pipecleaners in each one to get them to stand up. I made the leaf out of felt and glued it on.

I ended up making pretty much the whole thing the day before the con - I had all the pieces cut out beforehand, but I was also really busy with my first Craftster swap, so I nearly ran out of time. I was up from 10am until 2am, working on it pretty much solidly! It was a big hit at the con, to my surprise, I got lots of random hugs and photo requests! It could have been a much better costume, but I'm pretty proud of it, being my first attempt!

Raconteur Extraordinare

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010 01:16:18 AM »

I love it! 

If I were at the con, I'd try to fall asleep on your belly or do a plant growing dance around you. :X (Mostly because a totoro belly looks like it must have been the most comfortable thing ever.)

I am looking to do a personal swap with (or will outright pay for) a knitter who could make an adult sized knitted t-rex sweater for Christmas. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010 01:26:16 AM »

Cute! This really works well as a costume, and it looks nice and comfy too!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010 03:24:55 AM »

It is sooo comfy! I'm thinking I might wear it as pajamas, since it's so cold in Adelaide at the moment.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Panoramas in Photoshop
How to Create Audio In After Effects
How to Straighten Crooked Photos in Photoshop
How to Remove Tattoos in Photoshop
How to Create a Simple Levitation in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers
Spotlight on: Precious Metal Clay

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...