I wasn't sure where this project should go: knitting forum or ceramics forum. But I figured since 59% of the time spent making this thing WAS the time I spent knitting, it should go here!
For a final project in my ceramics class, I decided to incorporate my passion for knitting into it. I knitted a swatch with a loose gage and then dipped it into casting slip (liquid clay) and when I fired it, the yarn burned out and I was left wit a knitted clay shell!
This was from my first round of tests I did for the final project. the other piece did not make it into the low fire.
When we held it up after it came out of the kiln, I thought it would look nice as a wall hanging so with much difficulty, we drilled a hole into it and found a nice white ribbon to hang it up with. Its going to be a Christmas present for my mum this year.
The pictures don't really give it justice. I had to use my phone's camera.
But here is a close up.
There's probably five more of these puppies that are waiting to get fired. I played with texture and different types of yarn on most of them. They'll be posted sometime next semester.
I got to say that I'm quite proud of this experiment. If you really want to go "wow" google "Helen Gilmore knitted ceramics". I was inspired from her work and she managed to get a freaking TEAPOT to come out with this technique!