A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
851 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help with Chocolate!!!  (Read 542 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jendecker71
« on: December 21, 2008 04:30:20 PM »

PLEASE tell me someone's online and paying attention to posts without pictures!!!
I am having trouble with my chocolate being too soft.  I made buckeyes (peanutbutter balls dipped in chocolate) and the chocolate "shells" are a soft gooey mess!  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008 04:39:25 PM »

If they are already made, then I've no idea what to do other than serving them chilled, or perhaps setting them in front of a fan for a while in the hope they will dry a bit...

Other tricks to try before you dunk:

Freeze the peanut butter balls before you dunk them to help the chocolate solidify without absorbing the oil from the butter.

You can melt edible paraffin with chocolate, which works well, but is not a texture I like. I've also heard that you can melt solid vegetable shortening to the same affect, but haven't tried it.

I've also heard the HOW you melt the chocolate affects its solidity.  Slow in a double-boiler is supposedly firmer...

Sorry I can't be more help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
jendecker71
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008 05:27:25 PM »

Thanks Pimper...they went in the garbage...ALL 4 lbs!!!  I made these last weekend and looked at them again today to find that the peanutbutter balls had shrunk considerably after they thawed.  I don't know if condensation occurred when they thawed or what, but I had a mess.  Anyway, back to the drawing board.  I totally agree with your statement about parafin...that's why I didn't use it, but I guess I will second go around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dogmom
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008 05:46:30 PM »

What did you use for the chocolate?  I have good luck with chocolate almond bark.  It doesn't speckle and sets hard.  Before I dip though I let the chocolate cool for a couple of minutes until I no longer think the peanut butter balls will melt when dipped.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jendecker71
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008 03:55:35 AM »

The first time around (the disaster) I used almond bark with chocolate chips added ( I had a partial bag and just threw them in).  I did them again last night with a bag of chocolate chips and some paraffin.  So far, so good.  But, the first go around looked beautiful at first too.  We'll see what happens by Chrismtas! 

I think that chocolate chips are softer than they used to be.  Maybe I need to be on a search for harder chips for dipping. 

Has anyone ever used the chocolate melts available at craft stores that look like big hershey's kisses that have been squashed?  They usually are available in a wide variety of colors.  I've seen them, but never tried them.

Anyway, Thanks for all the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008 08:36:34 AM »

I think that chocolate chips are softer than they used to be.  Maybe I need to be on a search for harder chips for dipping. 

*lightbulb of memory goes off*

Are you using Hershey's brand?  Because my mom saw a report that they HAVE changed their chocolate; I think it was on account of the economy, and there was an implication that other companies are altering their chocolate as well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
jendecker71
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008 02:59:01 AM »

YES!!! Hershey's chocolate chips is what I used!  We just had a huge discussion about chocolate chips at work yesterday.  While folks were licking more sticky chocolate off their fingers (even though I'd put paraffin in it), I talked about my chocolate disasters this weekend.  Someone said they thought all hershey's products were different. The consensus at work is that the reason Hershey's is Walmart's cheapest brand of chocolate chips was because hershey's had changed their recipe in order to be competitive.  I guess they're fine for cookies, but not for what I needed them for.  DANG...now I have to taste test several varieties of chocolates in preparation for next year...SUCKS to be me  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vog
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008 06:42:07 AM »

I made these yesterday and had the same problem. I thought it might have been because it was such a hot day here and maybe buckeyes are a cold weather type of thing and not an Australian summer one.

I'm just keeping mine in the freezer because even though the chocolate isn't so hard and is little melty, they still taste good!

I froze them before dipping them too and used an Australian brand cooking chocolate, so it's not just Hershey's that doesn't work for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cory Barton

sea urchin at the tide pools

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009 11:49:15 AM »

your problem is always an issue when working with chocolate

first off, you do NOT need paraffin or shortening!

second, yes the craft store chocolate will harden guaranteed, but its not legally "chocolate" because of the waxes and additives put into it so that the user can disregard tempering

tempering chocolate is a process of melting, cooling, reheating that forms certain sugar-fat crystals in your chocolate to ensure a hard chocolate, snap, and glossy shine.

heres a guide from Ghiradeli (i'm too lazy to type my own, hah)
http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/chocolate_tempering.aspx

I would definitely say try the seed method (method 1), not the tabling method. Tabling for someone not practiced in it can be a MESS D=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the culture that tolerates shottyness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity and ignores excellence in plumbing because it is a humble activity. This is their fate. Neither their pipes nor its theories will hold water."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Artist Derek Gores Creates Incredible Collage From Hate Speech
How to Make Holiday Star Shaped Garlands
How to Make Bubble Wands For Fourth of July
Easy Gifts For Kids To Make For Dad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...