A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: christmas lights problem  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

green_olives
« on: December 22, 2008 05:18:24 PM »

Well it's too late to do anything this year but every year the lights on my tree hurt my eyes. I'm really sensitive to light especially at night and a lit tree in a dark room is just annoying to me, everything gets so blurred I can't even see the ornaments. Now I love putting up a tree and my daughter loves the lights so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something else I could use? I've tried different colored lights, the red ones just gave me a headache and blue lights weren't to bad but still annoying. This year my tree is one of the pre lit trees and I'm going to get a new one next year, hopefully white or green with fake snow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008 12:58:40 AM »

I put the small coloured lights in our window in the inside, and have a lace curtain that hangs over it.  It's a very soft light.  Maybe you could do something like that instead of the tree? 

Also, you could try having soft lighting in the room other then the tree, that might soften the whole effect. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008 05:14:01 AM »

I'm sorry that really sucks. Sad  Would the new LED lights be a bit better for your eyes.

Green lights might blend into the greenery of the tree. If your tree is a different color try the same color lights: Pink Tree- Pink Lights, White Tree-White Lights.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Ashling
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008 05:20:01 AM »

I have a similar problem, and unfortunatly the LEDs are worse.  I'm not sure what to tell you, I just try not to look directly at if for long.  Having the window open to let in some natural light does help a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008 05:40:54 AM »

This may help...though it may not.  Get a small desk lamp, the kind with the swivelly neck, and put it on the floor (inconspicuously) by your tree, and point it at the wall behind.  It'll help to more evenly distribute the light that's coming off the tree lights for you, without taking anything away from your daughter's enjoyment.  I get headaches watching TV at night, and lighting the wall behind the TV really helps with that.  That said, green lights on a green tree would probably also be a really big help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
green_olives
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008 07:28:15 AM »

thanks for the suggestions i think i may try the green lights next year, i didn't even think of that. i don't want to get rid of the tree or the lights completely because my daughter loves them and loves christmas, but than again what child doesn't Smiley the natural light does help during the day just at night it's hard not to see the tree since my living room is so small. i actually can't drive at night very well in town because the street lights and headlights from other cars make it almost impossible to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Perfect Curly Cut
Upgrade to a Rose Bun For Your Holiday Parties!
The Monday Makeover - Creating Beach Hair Style
How to Do a Simple Back to School Hairstyle
The Monday Makeover - Disco Heat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...