A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any over 25 Craftsters in the Bowling Green KY/surrounding area?  (Read 3652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2008 10:18:03 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to KY.  I moved here with my husband in August to run the costume shop at Western Kentucky University... just about the same time that I discovered the joy that is Craftster.  I'm originally from New Hampshire and have lived in Mass and Illinois, but sadly, I don't know ANYONE here in Kentucky, and I was thinking of trying to organize some sort of crafty club/get together in the Bowling Green area to make new friends/network with other crafty people.  It seems like all the posts on this board are aimed at Louisville and Lexington, but I figure there have to be a FEW crafty ladies (or gentlemen) in my neck of the woods.  I'm into lots of different types of crafts and like learning new ones, as well as teaching what I know to others.  (I've been described by my students as the "Bob Ross of sewing"... there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents to learn from!)  My core of craft expertise consists of quilting, costume design and costume construction, with some jewelry, papercrafts, crochet, cooking, and soap/bath product making thrown in there.  

Since I teach all day at WKU, I'm looking to meet people who are not students, but are closer to my own age of 30.  So anyone else in the area, 25 or older?  Anyone feel like making some new friends?  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011 05:34:21 PM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 09:41:57 PM »

I'm a student at WKU there. I think it would be fun to have a craft group!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
Rainbow_Storms
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009 09:15:40 AM »

Ooh, me too! Well, technically, I'm in Alvaton, but it's basically Bowling Green. I am kind of a private crafter, but I can always use some local crafty friends!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps! Just PM me!

I've recently gotten into blythes; check out my blog about mine here:
http://saffron42.livejournal.com
http://deliagrey.etsy.com
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009 04:26:32 PM »

Hello Rainbow_Storms and haroldlovesmaude, it's nice to meet you both.  I'm Jennie.  :-)

Well, first off, what kind of a craft group would interest you guys?  Would you enjoy time with friends (and maybe a movie) to work on your own projects, or would you like themed sorts of meetings, where we pick a project and someone teaches the others how to make that craft?  A little of both?  What kinds of crafts do you do the most often?  Are there some you'd really like to learn?

I was thinking of something informal to start, held on a weeknight, maybe from 6:00-10:00...  probably involving some tasty food to share.  If we all seem to get on well, then maybe meeting every other week?  Would you be interested in meeting more or less often than that?  If we got a few more people involved it could be the kind of thing where whoever shows each week is welcome, no pressure or guilt if you can't make it.  There are a few WKU students who work for me who are very crafty, and fun, who might enjoy crafting with us, so I might ask them about this too.  Do you guys have other crafty friends in town?

I'm more than willing to host meetings at my house, but I'd also be willing to consider other locations if you guys have any suggestions.  I am hoping to meet people in town my own age (I'm 28) since I spend all day teaching students, but I'm really just happy to make any new friends here, especially crafty ones.  ;-)

So... thoughts?  Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009 07:44:18 PM »

I am also a Jenny. But if it gets confusing, I am also called Jennifer by some people. I'm 19 and a creative writing major at WKU with a german minor and a theatre minor.

what kind of a craft group would interest you guys? Any kind. I really like meeting crafty people!

Would you enjoy time with friends (and maybe a movie) to work on your own projects, or would you like themed sorts of meetings, where we pick a project and someone teaches the others how to make that craft?  A little of both? I think both sound good! I'd really like the show-others things. Maybe every other meeting, or like two meetings for craft whatever and then one meeting of show and tell. Smiley I personally could teach bookbinding (for really simple to make but nice looking hard back notebooks), knitting, and dying wool yarn with kool aid (might need to wait for spring for that one, it's kind of an outside project Smiley ), and stenciling.

What kinds of crafts do you do the most often?  Sew (with a machine), knit, stencil, painting, bookbind, random artsy projects. (you can look through my completed projects if you'd like)

Are there some you'd really like to learn? I really want to learn resin crafts or how to make bowls out of vinyl records (not any good ones though! I actually have a collection I listen to quite a bit)

I was thinking of something informal to start, held on a weeknight, maybe from 6:00-10:00...  probably involving some tasty food to share.  If we all seem to get on well, then maybe meeting every other week?  Would you be interested in meeting more or less often than that?  I think every other week or maybe even once a week with come if you can would be good. That way you wouldn't have to remember if it was craft week or not. Or you could collect email addresses and have someone email everyone the day of.

Do you guys have other crafty friends in town? I have a couple friends I could invite.

If you choose Wednesday, I'd be late every week because I have guitar lessons from 6 to 6:30. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 07:45:37 PM by haroldlovesmaude » THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy shop & faves
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009 10:29:20 PM »

Wednesdays are actually out for me, because of the theatre dept. class schedule.  Each Wednesday is Prod night from 7:30-10:00, and I have to be there with the students who are working.  Monday and Tuesday are also not *very* good options, as I work a bit late on the weeks we have a show opening in the department...  If we had to pick Monday or Tuesday there might be a few weeks that we would have to start late, or have someone else host...  How do Thursdays sound?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009 03:26:55 PM »

thursdays would be great for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy shop & faves
Lorna.Doom

Knitting Takes Balls

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009 08:21:00 PM »

Hey Guys! I just stumbled upon this website quite serendipitously looking for fellow craftsters in my area. I'm a graphic design major at WKU and have been wanting to start a craft club myself for a quite a while. So I would be more then thrilled to join whatever you have in mind! Crafts are the only things that keep me sane in my ever to often down time here in bowling green. I don't really know anyone who enjoys crafts, so I'm excited to me at least a few fellow crafters  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009 05:49:25 AM »

Hi Lorna!
(Now I want to watch Lorna Doone... but I have to go to work!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009 06:11:07 PM »

I have a few other people interested in coming to a craft group here.  Students who work in my costume shop actually....  I got a chance to go fabric shopping at the Joann's Etc. store down in Nashville, TN yesterday.  It was awesome!  It made me think that maybe if the craft group gets off the ground we could do a field trip one day, since it's such an awesome craft store.  What do you guys think?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 4
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 2
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 1
Introduction to Photoshop Lesson 1
The Basic of Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...