A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What was I thinking?! A lap quilt debacle  (Read 708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2008 12:16:42 AM »

A year ago I took a class and the instructor assured me that for a lap quilt (especially a first one I was terrified of binding) I could put a strip of fusible web on the wrong side of the backing fabric, cut a slit in it, and then sew all 4 sides and turn it right side out. Sounds great except now I can't figure out the order and sides to sandwich together to make the flip work.

Ex: do I layer wrong side of backing fabric to the right side of topper, then place the batting? So confused!

Is this even really do-able? No one I've talked to has ever heard of this technique. Any input is appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
celticscryer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008 05:39:45 AM »

The technique is featured in one of my beginner's books, so it must be doable!  The author calls it bagging.

Layering goes:

Batting on a flat surface.  Quilt top next, right side up.  Backing fabric last, right side down.  Stitch all sides, leaving a 5 to 10 inch gap in the center of the bottom edge.  Trim away excess batting and turn inside out.  Then you slip stitch the gap closed.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008 01:50:36 PM »

You saved the day for sure! Thank you SO much! This has been driving me batty for weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
celticscryer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008 04:54:05 PM »

You're welcome!  Let me know how that works - I've been afraid to try it.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008 08:57:07 AM »

This is the method of choice for quilts with weird borders, quick quilts, or ones you expect to be completely loved to death in a short period of time, like a dog quilt or toddler quilt.  It takes a minimum of effort and the back is always the right size for the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
b16aGirl

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008 10:54:48 AM »

It worked perfectly! I tried to take pictures, but of course, the camera won't do what I tell it to. My only issue was that I neglected to even up the quilt top with the batting and so one side ended up having a bigger seam allowance to make up for it. I just trimmed it once I was done, though.

Thank you again for all the help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
chelsea anne
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008 08:46:50 AM »

I started a quilt this summer and got as far as starting to pin everything together - and then I got really intimidated by squaring everything up and the actual QUILTING that I'd have to do, so it's been folded up in a pile for three months. Okay, four now.

Today, though, I'm going to try this "bagging" technique and see if it makes my life easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anne Canadeo Talks About While My Pretty One Knits
Indigo King Book Trailer
The Secret to Teen Power Book Trailer
Davy Rothbart Reveals His Best Quality
Meet Author Ted Bell
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...