A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Stocking Cap Tutorial (pic - fatty - boombalatty!)  (Read 15151 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 20, 2008 09:02:10 PM »

Okay, so when I was in first grade or so, my friends and I learned to make these cute little stocking caps for our trees, and I think we must have made nearly a hundred.  Then last year, I wanted something small to go with some cookies I was handing to coworkers, remembered these, and they were a big hit.  I couldn't believe how many people had never seen them before.

I made some more this year, and while there are tutorials out there, none had enough pictures for my liking, and I'm a very visual person.  So here is my Christmas gift for you craftsters who have expressed an interest.

Here is a sneak peak of the finished product:

The supplies you need are as follows:
Yarn
Scissors
Toilet Paper Tube or similar card board tube
A template to wrap your yarn around (I used a folded scrabble game board, card board will work just fine)

Start by wrapping your yarn around your template.  You'll need at least 46 strands of yarn total for one hat.  Once you've got it wrapped, just cut down the center with your scissors, and voila!  All your strands, all a good length.

You will also need to cut a ring from the end of your cardboard tube.  I usually make it about 1/2-3/4 of an inch wide.

To start assembling your ornament, fold one length of your yarn in half, and thread the looped end through your card board ring.

Bring your two tail ends up over the outside of the ring, and thread them through your loop.

Tighten your knot.  The knot should sit along the edge of your cardboard ring.  

Continue this with each strand of yarn, until the whole ring is covered by yarn.

Now, your tails of all of the yarn will be hanging down below your knots.  Push all of the loose yarn up through the cardboard ring, so the knots are on the bottom, but the tails are all sticking up through the top.

Try to straighten out your yarn as much as possible so that it's all hanging straight, and you've got no curls or loops.  Once you've accomplished this, take an extra length of yarn, and tie a double knot around your loose ends.  This will be where the 'pompom' of your cap will meet the top of the cap itself.  Make sure to tie this as tightly as you can.  

Tie another double knot towards the end of your loose strands.  This will create the loop by which you can hang your ornament.

Now it's time to shape the 'pompom' part of your hat.  I very simply use a scissors and trim the loose yarn from the top of the hat in a single half-circular motion.  

Then, I will turn the hat 180 degrees, and do the same thing, before giving it a general trimming until I achieve the shape I'm looking for.

As a last step, I usually stuff the hat with some scrap fabric or even a balled up (clean!) tissue.  It gives the hat some durability and shape.

And there you have it!  

Alright, that was my very first tutorial.  How did I do?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012 10:36:59 AM by jungrrl - Reason: inserted full size pictures instead of thumbnails. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Hollistercobabe
I'm one crazy broad!

Who needs to be good when you can date a boy scout

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008 09:03:53 PM »

Super cute can't wait to try this!!!!!!!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LET'S MAKE A DEAL
Looking to trade, if i do something you like let me know.

My Greatest Craft-Baby Boy Hollister arrived March 22,2010

Etsy http://sterlingstryker.etsy.com
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008 09:05:11 PM »

Awesome job Little! I know what my daughter'll be doing for vacation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lefty8881
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008 09:16:45 PM »

so cute- and easy!  i'll have to add this to my list of cute ornaments to make!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 09:18:46 PM »

Ooo, hats I don't have to knit or crochet!  Shocked I might whip up a few for package decorations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008 09:35:25 PM »

That's what I do with them quite often.  They only take about 30 minutes each to make, less once you really get cookin' with 'em.  And cheap and easy!  LOL.

Glad everyone's enjoying it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
withoutAclue

Pippilotta in a jampot...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008 10:15:46 PM »

awesome! so fun, you made me want to make one! here's mine  Cheesy  :

Makes me want to have a heating fund and give these as donation promos. "Keep kids warm this winter".

You're fabulous. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008 10:25:50 PM by withoutAclue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008 04:42:07 AM »

That is just too cute!  I wish I had seen this before we did the craft at the school!  Well... there is always next year, aye?!

Thanks for posting such a great tutorial -  that is just too adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008 06:43:42 AM »

This is just a super craft for a kid's group.  I could imagine any age group of kids could be taught to do this and have something really nice as a result.  Thanks for the idea.  **bookmark**
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008 09:36:40 AM »

These are great, I've never seen them before. Might have to whip up a few to attach to christmas gifts. Thanks for posting a tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Hot Cross Buns on Violin
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...