A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,196
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy mothers day gifts for a reader and sewer?  (Read 3460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2005 10:00:58 PM »

My mom and I fight, but holidays are usually the calmest days we have.  This is why I want to make her something REALLY great for mothers day AND easter (which apparently doesn't have a page here O_o) 

She sews, But since she runs a dress making buisness, I'm not sure if I want to give her something  work oreiented because I look at it as almost as dumb as buying a secretary a file cabenet.

But, she LOVES to read, so I was thinking something like a bookmark and maybe some short storys of mine might be a good gift?  You see, shes my main source of income so if I buy her something, it would be her buying her present O_O;;;

She is also trying to write scripts, so maybe something that involves both Movies and books?

Her intrests
Cooking
Movies
Writing
Reading
Renaissance
Fairys
Dresses
Victorian ages
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005 01:13:30 PM »

Why don't you make her a journal and a matching book of short stories?  There are lots of ideas on journal & bookmaking here.  Throw in a bookmark.  You could use pictures of fairies as your theme.
I'm sure there are a ton on the net you could print out and decoupage on the books.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005 09:00:58 PM »

There was this really neat book purse I saw on the forum just a couple days ago. Maybe you could make her one of those. She'd love it. I forgot the link, but you can put book purse in the search box.

Bookmark wise, you might be able to cross stich a neat pattern or perhaps a poem she likes. Or there's plastic canvass. Maybe you could create a simple rosebud and stem pattern and make it a bookmark.

Or, you could make a victorian dress bookmark. That wouldn't be too "filing cabinet to secretary-ish". Make a dress with fabric, lightly stuff it with sheet cotton or stretched cotton balls, and add some pretty lace to it. That would be one of a kind and I bet she would love it!

Perhaps, you could go get a simple cloth tote bag and decorate it and make it the perfect book bag.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayame
Psycho Jrocker

Hurry up hurry up wrist cut show

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005 04:51:55 AM »

My mom loves to read too  Smiley I was thinking about buying her an old classic book, and maybe a record she'll like. Does your mom have any particular genre she likes to read more? You can do a quick search and try to find some books for that genre/favourite author.

As for the bookmark, I really think you should put lots of time in it, because what is a reader without a good bookmark? As someone else said, I think the Victorian dress bookmark would be so cute~! Or, you could cross-stich.. I don't know, her favourite foods? flowers?  Tongue Theres so much you can pick from~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008 11:36:02 AM »

I know this is more than a tad late  Grin  but I've seen these books around lately, usually with the journals, that are used to keep track of books read, and books you still want to read. It's a great way for book lovers to keep up with their reading materials. There's even space for the reader to write a small summary of the book and their own personal review in the blank pages. So, if you'd rather it be a handmade gift, you could perhaps decorate a spiral notebook and organize the insides in your own handwriting. I'd do maybe 1/2 a page to a full page per book, heading each one with a space provided for Title, Author, Genre and maybe even # of pages and/or ISBN number. Then just leave the rest of the space blank for their summaries and reviews. Hope this helps someone, even though its 4 years late!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
FairyWings
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 06:27:02 PM »

this year how about making her a fairy door Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound-Off: Rihanna, Kim K, Nikki Reed
Support Breast Cancer Awareness With These Pink Shoes
5 Ways To Wear a Leather Jacket
That Thong ... Done You Wrong
Get Model Street Style for Under $100
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...