A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: painting a dresser?  (Read 687 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lefty8881
« on: December 20, 2008 01:34:28 PM »

I just got a dresser from my mom that I would like to paint.  It's a wood finish, probably pretty old, maybe from the 50's.  Any tips on what paint to use, what steps I need to take, etc??  Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Menkie
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008 07:12:20 PM »

endless possibilities. well no matter what you should sand it down to all bare wood.id use a power hand sanded cuz by hand it would take forever.one really cool thing i saw which was really cool was using fabric dye to stain the wood.you just take a  pack and mix with a cup water till it dissolves and brush it on let sit for a minute and wipe off just like wood stain and the color is more intense with 2 coats  i like the way it turns out because you can still see wood grain through which looks great with a color like red or blue .but it penetrates the wood really well.then after that just use a sealant.but wear gloves and do it outside.thats just one idea.or if you really just want a sleak glossy look spray paining can look really great if you do it right.if you dont do it right you end up with drips and streaks.i have finally perfected spraypainting.or you can use acrylic craft paint as long as you seal it with polyurothane if you dont the paint will chip and scarap right off.but they have clear poly spray sealers that are as easy as pie to apply.anyways hope i helped and good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lefty8881
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008 09:31:34 PM »

thanks!  very helpful ideas!  i'll have to post after i figure out what i want to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008 01:36:57 PM »

If you want an alternative idea, when I was young my mother covered a dresser I had with fabric.  It was very pretty.  I'm fairly certain she just glued it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnydays914
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009 05:46:29 PM »

The week before my wedding (!) I got bored and painted my dresser. It was an awful red-brown color and needed some love.
How you refinish the dresser really depends on the look you are going for. Retro? Vintage? Sleek?
I went for the sleek look so I sanded down the deep gouges (It has been in our family for almost 20 years and was beat up), used oil based paint and a small sponge roller. The oil based paint takes 24 hours to fully dry between coats so I painted for an hour or so in the morning and then got moving on my day. It turned out beautifully with few imperfections and no drip lines.
See!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmriJane128
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009 12:28:49 PM »

Wow that dresser is beautiful! I am in a furniture painting project as well and wondering what kind of paint works best. Did you need any primer with that oil based paint, Sunnydays914?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnydays914
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009 02:37:02 PM »

I didn't use primer but I made sure to sand all surfaces down enough to give the paint something to grip to. I used a Rust-oleum semi-gloss in black. I'm sure that it had a fancy name other than just black but that's what color it is Smiley I bought it from Menards (with a rebate!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pumpkin Picking Tips
Different Types of Pumpkins
Easy Pumpkin Carving Tips
How to Make Decoupage Plates
How to Make a Plate
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...