A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make donut fused glass?  (Read 1786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2008 07:47:56 AM »

I've been searching for awhile, with no luck, and I'd love to know how the "donut" shaped glass pieces (with a hole in the middle) is made.
Do you layer 4 strips in a square shape and let it fuse with a hole in the middle, or is it really a circle just cut out of the middle?
I've been fusing for about a year now, and bought my first kiln about a month and a half ago, and I'm ready to get intricate with my work....and those donut pendants have me intrigued.
Thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

menty666
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008 07:00:05 PM »

Smoke and mirrors...or in this case a lens cutter and coring bit.   Cut your pieces, stack fuse, don't tell anyone your secret, let them think you're magic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewIn2Disney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008 06:09:06 AM »

So I do need a diamond bit.
I was afraid of that....lol.  I just wanted to experiment  I don't know if I'm ready to invest in the bit for just a few pieces.
We'll see---I really want to try it.

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tanisflores
Patience, Practice, Perserverance - & Powertools

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008 07:04:53 PM »

Hey Sewin2Disney!

So here's the deal - the donut shaped fused glass you see like at Michaels has all been cut in mass quantity on a water jet.  Water jets are fantastic - if you happen to have an extra $100,000 lying around.   Wink Now you could indeed use a core drill bit at home but those are kind of tricky - the easier ones to use are around 1/2" or smaller and will run you around $20.00 or so.  Any bigger than that and you really do need to use a drill press. You can get away with just hand holding the drill on the smaller bits but even then - a drill press would be the best way to go.  But here's are 2 cool little ways to avoid having to buy a drill bit.  The first way is if you happen to have a ringsaw with a separating blade.  Oops - ok - for this one you would have to have a drill bit at least as big as the separating blade is wide.  You'd drill a little hole in the center of the glass then poke the separating blade through the hole, connect the ends together and then saw the middle of the donut out.  Now the second way - this time I promise you don't need a drill bit - is by cutting circle out of glass and then cutting it in half.  Then either nip the center bits out of each half using your nippers (very carefull) or grind it out if you have a grinder.  Now when you're done removing the center material, you put the two halfs together again and fuse them back into one piece.  EXCEPT remember - you're only working with one layer of glass so when you fuse it together - the glass at the join is going to want to ball up and pull apart.  So what you have to do is cut out a second donut just like you did, clear glass or whatever, and stack it on top of the first donut - but with the seams of the second one not directly over the seams of the first donut.  Everything will fuse beautifully but you will get a little stripe where the seams were on the first piece of glass - assuming you covered it with clear glass.  I used this technique to make little wreaths which I then wire wrapped so the little stripes didn't show up at all!  I hope this helps!  Happy Fusing!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://floresflorestanis.etsy.com          - my supplies shop
http://florestanisstudio.etsy.com          - my handmade shop
http://florestanisstudio.com                 - my website
http://florestanisstudio.typepad.com     - my blog!!
SewIn2Disney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008 07:11:21 AM »

My dad did have a core bit, but it wasn't large enough, and it did break the glass.

I do like the second technique of cutting the circle in half and grinding a hole out.  I do have a grinder (thank you mom who did stained glass years ago).....I shall try that on my next batch.
Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kalera
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009 11:36:19 AM »

I do free-form fused "donuts" by stacking bits of glass in a rough donut shape and bringing it slowly to full fuse... it's a fun way to use up scrap. If you overfuse it, the glass will creep together and the hole will close, so you just have to be careful to go slowly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessp
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009 06:44:38 PM »

Use a lens cutter to cut the size circle  you need. Then as 2 or 3 layers of glass.

The core bit will save you so much time. However

On your regular grinder there is a small 1/8 or 1/4 size grinder bit that sits on top of the regular grinder head.  I draw a dot where the center is on glass circle and use  cup of water to keep bit wet and just grind a hole thur.  Full fuse your glass together. The hole closes some times. I just regrind it thur then fire it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasskanvas
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009 06:44:25 AM »

Here's an excellent tutorial I found a while back about it.. http://dichroicglass.co.uk/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=5
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewIn2Disney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009 06:21:33 AM »

That makes perfect sense----the pictures really helped!
Thanks for the link.  My dad does have that drill press, so it's just a matter of finding the right bits for it now.
Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...