A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Invisible zipper tutorial, WITHOUT the invisible zip foot! **VERY IMG HEAVY**  (Read 15426 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chickey
Alaskan blend: cold-pressed, almost undrinkable.

Like, y'know, whatever.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2008 09:50:06 PM »

By popular demand on another thread, I present....a tutorial on invisible zippers WITHOUT using an invisible zip foot!   Cheesy  Yep, it can be done, and here's photographic proof!  I did make a Flickr set of these pictures, but Craftster posting guidelines require pics in the post, so here they are.  (People with slow connections, I'm sorry!)  However, there are more pics on the Flickr set, so please click the link at the bottom to see some more details, like notes and comments.  Smiley

So here we go.......before you start, make sure your zipper foot is in good condition, and you have some patience and maybe some calm music playing.   Grin  The first time I did this, it took me 3 tries!  (And that was AFTER discovering that the plastic Coast & Clark invisible zipper foot didn't fit my machine!  Aarrgghhh.)  Also, it's VERY IMPORTANT that NO PART of the seam be stitched -- leave it completely open!!  This is very important.  You should be starting with just one invisible zipper and two unfinished raw edges of the seam.   Smiley

Step 1 -- Iron the zipper teeth.  This is kind of hard to explain, but if the top of this picture is North, iron the teeth North.   Wink  You can see the bottom set of teeth are not ironed yet, while the top are -- they are lying flat, while the other ones are still curled up.

Step 1 by Chickeys17, on Flickr
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/scovich80/Step1.jpg

Step 2 -- If the zip is a light color, I like to draw a line where I'm going to stitch as a guide.  I used water-erasable ink in this one, but I've also used permanent dark pen very lightly...because nobody will ever see the inside of the zipper teeth.   Tongue

Step 3 -- Sew a line of contrasting basting stitches on your fabric at 5/8" -- standard seam allowance.  These are just for guiding you when you pin the zip, you'll remove them later.  

(Just a close-up of the basting stitches -- I used green on my fabric so I could see them easily:

Step 4 -- Pin the zipper teeth on the line of basting stitches AS SHOW EXACTLY in this pic!!  Note the position of the zipper stop (upside-down on the bottom) and you are working on the RIGHT SIDE of the fabric.  It's kinda weird -- the left side of the zip gets pinned to the open seam on the right.  This picture will help you!  Do it EXACTLY like this.   Wink

Here's a closeup of the bottom of the zip and how it is pinned:

Step 5 -- Make sure your regular zip foot is attached properly, and you'll need to adjust it accordingly -- without thread or fabric, turn your machine's handwheel and make sure that the needle just passes next to the presser foot in its down position -- you want it pretty close, but not too close as to hit the foot!  (That would be fairly diastrous!)  I have notes on the Flickr picture for this one, you might want to check out the set for more details!

Step 6 -- Position the presser foot on the zipper tape just like in this picture, the zip foot should be close to the zipper teeth, the foot will help the needle stay close to the teeth as you sew.

Step 7 -- Begin sewing, very carefully and slowly along the zipper teeth.  You should be able to see your stitching line (drawn in the beginning) clearly, but just make sure the needle is really butted up against the teeth!  But take care not to snag the thread or needle ON the teeth, that's a disaster too.  (Ask me how I know!)  Sew all the way up to the top of the zipper tape, and do some backstitching to hold it securely.

Step 8 -- Pin the other side just as you did the first side -- this pic shows the left side all stitched and the right side is just pinned on and ready for sewing.  Note how the zip is stitched on the RIGHT SIDE of the fabric -- if you can visualize it in your head, when everything is done, the zip will sort of turn in on itself and not show any of the teeth when it closes.  (Confusing yes, but it will make sense -- and if you want to make sure you're doing it right, close the zip before you pin the second side.  It should look pretty similar to how it will when it's finished, with no teeth visible on the stitched side and a little part of the seam covering the zip.  The point of an invisible zip is to be just that, which you are accomplishing by sewing really close to those teeth!)

Step 10 by Chickeys17, on Flickr
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/scovich80/Step10.jpg

Step 9 -- After you have finished sewing the zip to both sides of the open seam, close the zip and pull the tail out the way completely -- pin the rest of the seam closed, and sew it up.  I usually use my zip foot for this too, as it lets me stay close to the stitching line.  I'm very sorry i don't have a better pic of this step.   Sad

Step 11 by Chickeys17, on Flickr
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/scovich80/Step11.jpg

And that's it!   Cheesy  At this point, I like to carefully sew the zipper tape to the seam allowance, because it kinda flops around (because you sewed so close to the teeth, there's a lot of extra zipper tape left) -- but if you use some Fray-Chek you could just cut off the remainder I guess.  (I've never tried it!)

This is a picture of what a finished invisible zip looks like using this method:

Closeup of zipper by Chickeys17, on Flickr
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/scovich80/zip.jpg

Far from perfection, but I think it looks pretty good.   Wink

Anyways, this is the link to the Flickr set -- click thru for more pictures, details and notes.  Smiley

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickeys17/sets/72157611365987661/

Comments, questions, thoughts, constructive criticism very much welcome.  Smiley

And believe me, once you get the hang of this zip, you won't want to do anything else!  It's really a nice finishing touch and I find it easier now than lapped or regular zippers!  Good luck, everyone!

(P.S.  If anybody has seen this B&W floral fabric online or in person, pretty please let me know!  Smiley )
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011 10:34:02 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not left-handed either." - The Princess Bride
julietalpha
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008 05:36:38 PM »

Thanks for the tute Chickey!  I came on specifically to look for one so it was good timing.  I'll have to grab an invisible zip for my new dress and try it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 08:00:10 PM »

Oh, wow! I am bookmarking this. Thanks so much! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 05:09:27 AM »

Nice tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Eroe
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 08:45:22 PM »

Great tutorial, I would love to try this technique out soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
totallystoked
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009 10:28:35 AM »

wow, this is a great tutorial...My readers digest guide to sewing didn't have how to do an invisible zipper so i came on here to search and this is really awesome.  I'm not super worried anymore...heck, it looks easier than a normal zipper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

befffff
Nice to see you, To see you nice!

so uncool it's cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009 02:09:29 PM »

good lord i think i love you.

Grin

spesh as my prom dress is on the to do list....

and it would be nice to have neat projects....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she'll need a full body cast...
a big wooden one."

(evil quip 2.0)
x46
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009 09:27:01 PM »

Thanks so much for this! I lost the last invisible zip foot that fit my machine years ago and can't find another one to fit my ancient Pfaff.  Perfect! I love invisible zips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009 09:38:57 AM »

Er... I hadn't realised there was a foot for invisibile zippers.  But thank you very much, really, because I keep forgetting the procedure and this way, with the pics and all, makes it more understandable and memorable (the explanation I have to follow is rather... um... dense?) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
itsamutiny
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009 01:54:26 PM »

thanks for this! i had to install an invisible zipper on a dress i'm making, and i forgot to buy an invisible zipper foot. this really helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Post-Childhood Prodigies - What Happens to Them When They Grow Up?
How to Learn Oil Painting
How to Get a Canvas Ready for Oils Paints
How to Paint Skies with Oil Paints
How to Paint on a Canvas with Oil Paints
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...