A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gingerbread house....with complications + pics  (Read 1007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thekster
« on: December 19, 2008 07:56:39 PM »

ETA: link to gingerbread house recipe
<Long story>
I've never made a gingerbread house, and I'm kind of disappointed in it. I guess I was overambitious by trying to add "stained glass windows" (melted jolly ranchers allowed to cool and harden.) The windows, for the most part, worked pretty well, but one 2 of the windows broke when I was trying to get them off the pan, and 1 of those windows broke part of the wall. I was able to fix the wall with royal icing, and hide the front broken window with a candy cane stick, and figured I could just say there was a break-in in the gingerbread neighborhood... it's been about 3 weeks since I made them, and the windows have melted. One of the walls, I cooked on an insulated pan and forgot to increase the cooking time, so it was a little more...pliable, I guess would be the word, than the other walls. Also, I made a swing set out of 5 candy canes (1 had the curly part broken off), twizzler pull-and-peel dealies, and an Andes mint) but the top part wouldn't stay attached to the sides, so I ate it. Smiley
I was going to include the recipe, but I forgot to save it on my computer. I have the print out somewhere around here, I think, so I'll include it later, if anyone wants. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Childrens-Gingerbread-House/Detail.aspx
It was pretty good, and I don't even usually like gingerbread.
</long story>
On to the pictures!

(before it melted, but after it broke)

melted windows, with a pool of melted window at the bottom

here you can see it goes all the way through.

Annnnnyways, I guess it's okay for a first try, but I told my fiance I just wanted to smash it. Lame.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008 08:02:20 PM by thekster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008 09:56:58 PM »

oh my goshhh hahahahahaaa sorry for laughing but those windows are too cutee!!! i think it gives the house character Tongue plus the front more than makes up for it. i LOVE the posts on the sides i'm guessing theyre big candy sticks? and the swing is so adorable! and i love the roof too! i'm jealous i've still NEVER made a gingerbread house before Cry i hope my first house is this cute  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kissthegirl
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008 09:59:18 PM »

When I was a kid we would always make stained glass sugar cookies at Christmas time, with lifesavers. If I remember right, we would cover the pan with tin foil before baking, and didn't remove the cookies until it was completely cooked. Haven't done it in a while, but maybe this would help with the "glass" not breaking?? Still a cute house!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
thekster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008 11:19:54 PM »

RCKFELLA, I don't take any offense for the laughing. Thanks Smiley
Kissthegirl, hah yeah, if I had read the directions correctly, I would have seen the "cover pan with foil" part. I was just too excited I guess hehe. I covered with wax paper and it just sealed with the gingerbread and candy. The foil definitely would have helped keep it from breaking though. The only thing I can think of with the melting is because of moisture. I dunno. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 02:38:35 AM »

Good heavens, woman! For something you're disappointed in, it looks fabu! Okay, so there were window problems, but that just adds character! The rest? You've done an incredible job!

But seriously, keep telling the "broken into" story. It's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008 11:42:36 AM »

I LOVE YOUR HOUSE! As far as the broken window goes, just tell everyone that some rogue ginger bread baddies did a drive by gumball shooting!

Seriously, your house is lovely. It looks like you worked so hard on it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008 12:43:22 PM »

Quid - thanks. I told my friend it was broken into and she laughed, saying she liked that my gingerbread house had a backstory heh
Lydia - thanks, I did work hard on it. I started it probably 2 or 3 weeks ago and didn't finish til yesterday. What took the longest was putting the cashew "stones" on, which I only did to try to cover the icing to fix the broken side heh.

Eh, I'm just hoping I'll have the energy to do it next year, cuz then I'll have some experience under my belt and hopefully it will look a lot better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grenouille78
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008 03:17:08 PM »

I love the swingset! And really, aside from the windows, the rest of the house turned out really well! I think the jolly rancher windows was a good idea, you'll just have to perfect your technique because I would love to see it succeed! I have never in my life made a gingerbread house, so you get big props from me! Maybe next year you'll have to make a gingerbread guard dog to ward off robbers. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KellyMilly
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008 08:30:55 PM »

I think it looks nice. I've always wanted to make one, but I've never had the courage. Good for you for going for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
First Chance to Shop Isabel Marant for H&M
Need to Know: Two Tone Trend, Nike FuelBand, and a "Food and Wine" Roundup
Vintage Bowles - Geoffrey Beene
Jeanius - Sylvana Ward Durrett
Vintage Bowles - The Secrets to Becoming a Vintage Collector
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...