A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Latest Crochet: Darth Vader, Cthulu, Pass the Pigs, a cupcake, and some popcorn  (Read 14992 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kirsa
« on: December 19, 2008 04:10:07 PM »

I made up his helmet and cape.  The chest embroidery is fairly accurate (as accurate as I could get using fat yarn).  I'm particularly pleased with the circles under his eyes.  For the body and head, I used artoo1121's amigurumi person pattern.  I made him for my nephews for Christmas.

For the Pass The Pigs, I used wibit's pattern.  I played with them a bit before packing them up, and they really do work quite well.  They're for my sister's family as a gift.

I made these for my little niece so she wouldn't feel left out when the package of presents was opened.  Honestly, they're kind of an afterthought.  If I'd had more time, I would have made her some more play food.  For the cupcake, I used this pattern from the BitterSweet blog.  For the popcorn, I used this pattern (the popcorn's at the bottom of the page).

I made the Cthulu as a Christmas present for a friend.  I need to make an identical one still for his twin brother.  I used the Tiny Cthulu pattern from Cthulhu Crochet and Cousins.

I made some more under-the-sea Christmas tree ornaments also, but they'll have to wait for another post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foldsomething
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008 04:46:09 PM »

Would you adopt me and make me crochety gifts?   These are amazing!  I love the Darth with removable helmet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foldsomething.com
...one fold at a time
jillvedge
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008 06:02:30 PM »

the darth vader is amazing. i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008 08:35:18 PM »

that is so cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
Misera
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 04:45:57 PM »

wow! he has a removable helmet!! is it hard to make it so that it fits properly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008 06:34:17 PM »

wow! he has a removable helmet!! is it hard to make it so that it fits properly?

It actually wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be to get it to fit right.  I just crocheted a circle until it looked big enough and then crocheted even around.  The hard part was making the two pieces of the helmet (the front part and the top part) fit together right and then attaching them to each other.  I left holes in the face part so the black safety eyes would show through in the helmet, so it had to end up placed just right so that the holes would go over the eyes without showing a bunch of white skin.  I'm sure there's easier ways to do it than the way I ended up doing it, but I haven't ever really made up that intricate of a crocheted object before, so it's fairly messy and overly complicated.  I'm happy with how it ended up turning out though, and I don't think my nephews will notice any of the crochet flaws. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krashromance
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008 09:58:33 PM »

Wow I love these!  I was thinking of knitting because I was bored with crochet, but I am totally inspired now!  Great job with the Darth Vader also, his face is pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wolfybrie
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008 10:19:14 AM »

How did you do the wings? I can't get them at all. It's just like a whole bunch of squares crocheted together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008 03:08:56 PM »

How did you do the wings? I can't get them at all. It's just like a whole bunch of squares crocheted together.

If I remember right, you crochet a little rectangle that ends up being the part of the wing that attaches to the back.  Each row ends up adding to this rectangle.  For the "feather" parts, you crochet across the rectangle, then chain some extra, turn, crochet back along your chain and the rectangle, etc.  After the last "feather" (I don't know what to call them), after you've turned and crocheted back along the chain and the rectangle, then you turn the whole thing and crochet along what ends up being the top of the wing.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irbisisis
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008 10:53:10 AM »

lol i never knew what darth vader looked like without his helmet until now.  good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Happy For No Reason Book Trailer
Alan Katz Reveals His Previous Occupation
Douglas Florian Reads from Dinothesaurus
Jennifer Baszile Reveals Who She Admires Most
Meet Author Santa Montefiore
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...