A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun Place to Get Married in Fredericksburg VA?  (Read 2222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KellyBoBelly

Oh, to be born in the 50's...

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2008 10:57:33 AM »

I need a fun place to get married. My family and his dont really get along. Some are opposed to the marriage itself and others are opposed to ther family members. So, i need a wedding/reception idea that will keep everyone occupied. Prefereably with no alcohol. anywhere in VA is ok but we grew up in Fredericksburg so it would be cool to do it there.

Im thinking it will be late spring early summer. when he gets done with his NAVY training.

ALso, no one is particulary athletic, or competitive so my idea (tag football) is out.

PLEASE help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blungoldangel
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008 09:51:17 AM »

Hm.
If you choose an outdoor location you could hire a carriage for the ceremony and get them to take the guests for rides during the reception.  I don't know how much you want to spend but there are some beautiful gardens/plantations in VA that do weddings.  There's plenty to look at and lots of room to wander around. 

Certain museums allow weddings also.  You might have to go to northern va for that though. 

We're doing ours at Lydia Mt. in Stanardsville.  ours will be a small group of people but there's a play area for kids, trails, overlooks, and cabins.  Our reception will be in a large open pavillion with stone pillars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008 06:32:17 AM »

I am a soon to be bride from Fredericksburg as well! 
What kind of budget are you working with?

How about lake Anna?
I am not sure if you can rent out the beach? but I know you can rent boats and such.

I know thats not in Fredericksburg but it is close.

Also you can set up a canoe trip down the Rappahannock in F-burg.

I think if you did it at a venue down town, like maybe Kenmore park or on the river at the end of Sophia street you could do history tours around town.

You could send people on a treasure hunt as well.

I know Chatham manor wont let people have weddings on the estate, but you could get married at Pratt park and take the family through the trail to see the Manor.
If I think of anything else I will add it. Good luck  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danna515
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009 08:04:42 AM »

Lake Anna is a good idea, although I looked into renting a large house on the lake for our 2010 wedding and ran into issues with some of the HOAs not wanting large parties on their properties. If you can find one that doesn't have an issue, Lake Anna would be a great spot. There's also the state park - you could rent a pavilion and people could hike or swim or fish.

Not sure what your budget is, but you might also want to look into the Gari Melchers Studio at Belmont. You can arrange for guided tours during part of your event (for an additional charge, I believe).

You could also look into Clore Brothers Weddings. They have an outdoor wedding venue right along the Rappahannock. They also rent canoes & do fishing trips so you may be able to work something out during your reception for something for people to do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 09:55:24 PM »

I was in a wedding in Fredericksburg, they did it at the docks and had the reception on a boat that went down the Rappahannock River and back. It has been a while, but I remember it being a good time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 03:06:59 PM »

I was in a wedding in Fredericksburg, they did it at the docks and had the reception on a boat that went down the Rappahannock River and back. It has been a while, but I remember it being a good time Smiley

My senior prom was on the boat.  It was fun but limited for space, so depending on the size of the wedding might not work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelwing75
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009 05:34:42 PM »

What kind of ceremony are you planning?  Rather than one big reception, maybe it might be better to do two smaller, less expensive separate parties and eliminate the potential for conflict as much as possible.  Maybe something like an elegant garden party in one backyard and a fun picnic barbeque in a park.  You could even do them on the same day if you had to, one in the afternoon for lunch and one in the evening for dinner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gimmemoresalad
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 10:06:11 PM »

If you go with the canoe trip idea (which probably isn't the most practical, honestly)... I've canoed the Rappahannock right above Fredericksburg twice, and it's a really cool stretch of river, and it doesn't require much canoeing experience or skill. 

I live in the Richmond area, so other than the good canoeing spots and Potomac Mills, I don't know much else around Fredericksburg  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Tribute to George Carlin
Alan Goldsher Talks About Paul Is Undead
Sandra Harper Talks About High Tea
Gregory Boyle and Former Gang Members Talk About Tattoos on the Heart
Philippa Gregory Reads from The Red Queen Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...