A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BARBARA ANN'S INCOMPARABLE OLIVE CHIP DIP  (Read 1237 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , olive  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 18, 2008 01:29:53 PM »

Prep Time: 15 minutes     Yield: 1 ½ to 2 cups
Serves 8-16 at a party (Serves one if I'm present)

To my mind, this is the best chip dip going.  I've never tasted anything store bought or restaurant made that is half as good (or addictive).  With the creamy white of the cheese and the red and green from the olives it's very festive as well!  This is a long-time family favorite and I always beg my big sister Barb to make it for the holidays. 

Tastes better when made the night before; it gives the dip time to get happy with itself in your refrigerator.  Save yourself some disappointment and please double the recipe if you’re inviting me to the party, or no one else will get any!  Grin

1 10 oz. jar of green stuffed (Spanish) olives, reserving half of the juice from the jar
1 ½ Pkgs. of  cream cheese (12 oz.), softened
2 tsp. onion powder*
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. garlic powder*
½ tsp. ground celery seed*
Milk or half & half as needed

Prep and Cooking Instructions

With the knife blade of your food processor, pulse olives and juice from jar until you have little bits of olive, but not until it becomes a paste.  Change the blade to the mixer blade, add the cream cheese, onion and spices. Process again until completely combined and smooth, adding milk slowly (one tsp. at a time) as needed until dip is creamy and yields easily to your chips (this is the testing phase and I encourage lots of tests!).
Refrigerate until ready to serve.  The longer it you leave it alone, the better it tastes.  Serve with chips, crackers or veggies.  Fritos® Corn Chips are wonderful with this dip (and may have been the original source of the recipe for all I know); it’s a match made in heaven!
My sister created this recipe in the sixties, so you can do it up retro style and serve this in a vintage chip bowl with the little glass dip tray that hangs off the side in a little metal hanger…I’ll feel right at home!

*My sister uses garlic salt, onion salt & celery salt, and that’s too much salt for my taste, so I use the powdered herbs.  For variety, you can also use 1 small diced garlic clove and 1 tbsp. of minced fresh onion instead of the powders, but they will give a much different (not bad, though) flavor to the dip.

FINAL NOTE:  THIS IS JUNK FOOD!  That means it’s not supposed to be ‘healthy’; reduced-fat cream cheese and skim milk will not give good results in this recipe.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
CraftyZedral
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008 09:48:28 PM »

Now that sounds tasty!  I might have to make that next week for a pre-Christmas dinner appetizer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008 03:25:10 PM »

Thank you!  For years, the only way I'd eat green olives was in this dip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
KMOM13
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008 07:46:54 AM »

This sounds delicious and I love olives, but alas my family does not; however, maybe I can sneak this in on them because it is a chip dip and they love chips.

Thanks for sharing this and I am definately going to try this sometime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyZedral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009 12:50:00 PM »

I was going to make this for Christmas, but the cream cheese here in Turkey isn't the same cream cheese we get at home.  It's just spreadable cheese.  So what I did instead was layer the krem peynir on a plate and spread some prepared olive spread on top.  People ate it up and it involved nothing more than opening containers for me.  When I go back to the States to visit, I will make your recipe.  Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Heartman
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009 05:54:04 PM »

hahaha i really agree with your final note! junk food all the way

this looks delicious i'm gonna go make some
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes
How to Make Fast and Easy Artisan Breads
Barbecued Halibut with Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Triple Play Pork Recipe
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...