A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
747 Guests and 48 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Buckeyes" or "Holy cow that tastes just like a Reese's cup" recipe w/PIX!  (Read 10611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RobinLynne
♫ He spoke to me, I took his flute ♫

Disaster has befallen my wheels

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2008 12:43:16 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the buckeye. Or - the most amazing edible I've ever had the pleasure of creating. Recipe & slight back-story follows the obligatory photograph Smiley

The following recipe was inspired by this photograph, from my food-photographing flickr friend, PATierney. This goes out to you, PAT!

Buckeye peanut butter & chocolate candies

Youll need:
1/2 c. peanut butter
3 T. butter (or margarine) slightly softened
1 1/2 c. powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 c. chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate & use more if you want to cover the buckeyes completely)

Makes 2 dozen (24) 1″ +/- round candies.

Combine butter and sugar (I used a fork to cut it in, but Im sure a hand mixer would work a LOT better/quicker)
Add peanut butter and mix to combine.

Roll mixture into balls and place on a cookie sheet (on a piece of wax paper or foil.)

Refridgerate for 30 minutes, then place in freezer for 15-30 minutes - or longer if youve got things to do, etc. Theyll be fine.

When youre ready to coat them, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave (youll have to reheat it a couple times if you use the microwave.)

Retrieve the now hardened peanut butter balls, stick a toothpick in and dip into the chocolate - halfway or all the way, the choice is yours. Place on the same cookie sheet and continue until theyre all done. Once theyre dipped/covered, its back into the fridge for 15-30 minutes and then theyre ready to go/devour!
-----

I've made two batches so far - and they're awesome & addictive.  Also - I melted a wee bit too much chocolate (ok, impossible!) so a few buckeyes got turned into "truffles."

See? Tongue

Super easy recipe - I highly recommend it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Shop on Etsy: For Jason ♥ Help Jason win the war against pancreatic cancer![/url]
My Blog: Purple Petition
frazz911
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008 01:01:08 PM »

My hubby and I have made a bunch of these also.  They are great!!!  We are giving them to family and friends this year.  And besides being good, they are fun to make with your special one... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeuudee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008 01:03:11 PM »

I am going to have to give these a go for hubby - he loves peanut butter and chocolate, so I can't really go wrong! Thank you for the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008 01:18:39 PM »

Aren't they awsome?!  My mom's made these every year for Christmas for the -entire- family (which is big) for over ten years now.  You'll never get tired of them lol.  They are amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KristyDi
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008 07:52:53 PM »

mmm, buckeyes.  I make these my the dozen every Christmas.  My recipe calls for 2 pounds of peanut butter and barely fits in the bowl of my Kitchenaid.  They are soooo good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people juggle geese.  -Hoban Washburn
LifeislikeanEwok
Chrissasaurus-Rex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008 09:21:19 PM »

My family does these every year too! (we have since....well before I was born!)...We do them a little different, though. We coat the entire thing in chocolate, and the chocolate is melted with parafin wax to make a nice shiny candy coating!...we also just call them Chocolate Balls...because my family is just SO creative...(funny how there is obviously much more peanut butter in the recipe than chocolate! lol)

yours are much prettier than ours though!

I think this year Im going to make a couple batches with coconut and honey too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is an occasion. Rise to it!" -Mr.Magorium
RobinLynne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008 04:56:25 AM »

Well, apparently I'm a little late on the buckeye bandwagon  Cheesy I'll definitely turn these into a tradition.. and I'd be unstoppable if I had a stand and/or electric mixer. oh boy! I think the workout my arm gets keeps me from making huge batches Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Shop on Etsy: For Jason ♥ Help Jason win the war against pancreatic cancer![/url]
LifeislikeanEwok
Chrissasaurus-Rex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008 02:37:40 PM »

actually, in my opinion, I think they are easier and more fun to make without a stand mixer. Especially for kids. It's easier to meld with your hands, and since its so thick, you dont have to worry about unclogging your mixer and such.

Im gonna make a million of these tonight Cheesy

Oh!, and the recipe that we have always used has rice crispies in it! I was looking online for something similar, and it seems like no one else puts rice crispies in their's!

Blasphemy!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008 09:31:48 PM by LifeislikeanEwok » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is an occasion. Rise to it!" -Mr.Magorium
RobinLynne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008 06:53:48 AM »

actually, in my opinion, I think they are easier and more fun to make without a stand mixer. Especially for kids. It's easier to meld with your hands, and since its so thick, you dont have to worry about unclogging your mixer and such.

Im gonna make a million of these tonight Cheesy

Oh!, and the recipe that we have always used has rice crispies in it! I was looking online for something similar, and it seems like no one else puts rice crispies in their's!

Blasphemy!

whoa whoa whoa. that'd be awesome. AND if you drizzled caramel in.. it'd be JUST like a whatchamacallit (my favorite candy!!!) ahh!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008 10:29:43 AM »

Going to try this tomorrow morning. I've heard of Buckeyes but didn't know they tasted like Reese's cups....lol....now that I do I'm trying this out.  Thanks for the recipe!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear High Waisted Denim Shorts
Something New: Bridal Shoes By Brian Atwood
The Trick To Getting Rid Of Armpit Stains
How To Conceal Tan Lines
Tips For Cleaning Out Your Closet
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...