A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
794 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make crochet pieces stiff?  (Read 2774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Triyal
« on: March 11, 2005 03:36:20 PM »

Sorry if this is a really simple/stupid question, but I just made a wallet from crochet, and it's bugging me that its so floppy. Is there anyway I could spray something or do something to it to make it stiff? Thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekMagnet
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005 04:45:58 PM »

rub some elmers glue into it or use some starch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005 07:26:41 AM »

The next time you make an item you want to be stiffer, just double or triple your yarn.  Working multiple skein of yarn together will give it the stiffness you desire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006 07:02:50 PM »

rub some elmers glue into it or use some starch
I was wondering the same thing....I know this thread it's old but I decided in replyin as to not start a new one.  I've seen like these small crochet white angels that stand up on their own because they're so stiff.  I know they were made with only one thread of crochet (meaning they didnt double them or anything) so how would one apply the glue or starch to make them so stiff?  An older person told me once they were made by making a mixture of either sugar or salt and water.  Then you'd dip it in, and let it dry.  But before I fill up my house with mosquitos and ants I was wanted to ask here instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006 09:06:57 PM »

i think it depends on the yarn/thread you're using and it definitely depends on the hook and your tension. my mom yells at me because she says i always crochet so tight, and when i do amigurumis, i use one hook size smaller than recommended on the yarn. no stuffin is comin outta my animals! lol. obviously you'll probably have to find a way to make your pattern way bigger if you do this. thats always my problem, my stitches never come out the same as the gauge, even if i do use the right size hook. hope i helped a little =) by the way, a crocheted wallet?? do you have pics? i'm intrigued, that must have been hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jodi1978
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006 11:13:18 PM »

To make the angels stiff, You get them wet, them dip in glue mixed with a little water, then put over a form and let dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
13bodies

this is my boom stick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006 12:55:39 PM »

I like to use commercial stiffener for my crochet pieces.  I use Stiffy (hee hee)--it comes in a white bottle with a pink label and  you can dilute it to control how stiff it will make your work.  You can use glue thinned with water, but as time goes on it will usually turn yellow.  Sugar syrup will work but it gets sticky in high humidity and will wilt if it gets wet.  I've used a corn starch solution for doilies but it will also wilt if it gets wet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me have my little, guiltless moment of pleasure.  I have the rest of my life to be virtuous, and the rest of eternity to be dead.--J. Poniewozik
IamSusie
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006 01:36:22 PM »

I think you can use liquid starch for this.  It comes in a jug at the laundry section of the store.  Saturate your item and then block it into the shape you want and leave it until it is dry.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006 08:39:11 PM »

what about spray starch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Crafts for Kids
How to Upcycle Fashions With Dyed Buttons
Floral Cupcake Ideas
Easter Crafting Ideas
Glowing Giant Spider Web on the Cheap
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...