A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Popped my yarn-dyeing cherry  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2008 08:03:50 AM »

I've been collecting sweaters from thrift stores for a while now and have knit a thing or two with the recycled yarn, but I haven't actually dyed any of it until now.  I got seven 50g/215yd skeins of sock yarn out of ONE sweater.  The best part about this was since the yarn was feltable, I could just felt the ends together if I had a bunch of short sections.

I used a tutorial from Knitty as a guide.  I did the hot pour method, and used the neon food colorings from the grocery store.  For most of them, I had all the yarn in one pot and poured in the colors, but for the green and pink one, I kept a small section out of the green, and then put that section into the pink after the green was done.  I was able to get a similar effect to the tutorial's cold pour, but without having to clear off a table and risk my cat getting covered in dye.

I knit a swatch with the green yarn, and I LOVE how it's turning out:

While I was on a dyeing frenzy, I dyed some wool yarn I already had that I hated the color of.  I turned this

into this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
dancechica
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008 08:59:48 AM »

Oh my gosh your yarns are beautiful.  I have been wanting to get into dyeing for a while now.  I love them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rainbow_Storms
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008 09:16:39 AM »

Those are so pretty I want to put them in my mouth....

Great job. I'm so jealous of people that can do this stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps! Just PM me!

I've recently gotten into blythes; check out my blog about mine here:
http://saffron42.livejournal.com
http://deliagrey.etsy.com
chiqui
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008 09:31:53 AM »

How did you get your yarn to look so nice?  When I tried recycling yarn from a sweater I could never fully get the kinks out.  Also, when I dyed it, it seemed to make it even scratchier.  Do you mind sharing your techniques?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008 10:56:57 PM »

How did you get your yarn to look so nice?  When I tried recycling yarn from a sweater I could never fully get the kinks out.  Also, when I dyed it, it seemed to make it even scratchier.  Do you mind sharing your techniques?

I unravel my sweaters onto a niddy noddy to make skeins, and then I wash them, and hang them with weight pulling down on them to straighten them out.  With these skeins, I also wound them around a mirror to make the skeins longer.  I think dyeing with heat helped straighten them out.  To dry them, I again hung them from a hanger, but without a weight this time because they didn't need them.  After they dried, I reskeined them to a smaller diameter and twisted them up.

With other yarns I haven't dyed, they generally stay a little wavy, but once I knit them up it's not noticeable.  What kinds of dyes are you using for your yarns?  I'm using food coloring, and the harshest chemicals my yarns are exposed to is the vinegar.  I think the yarn you start out with can make a huge difference too.

I did notice a small amount of felting with the yarn, and I lost around 30 yards off each 550+ yard skein after dyeing.  This would definitely affect the scratchiness.  I do stir the dyepot while it's at 150* F, which you're not supposed to do because it can lead to felting, but I do make sure to avoid any water running on the yarn when I'm rinsing it and pouring the vinegar in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Funny Cartoons
How to Sketch Chibi
How to Sketch Anime Faces
How to Choose Inks
How to Write Neatly in Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...