A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,511
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What in the world is going on here?  (Read 698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Santclair

Clothing Texas one insane project at a time.

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2008 09:10:08 PM »

Hi Craftster Knit Squad! I'm trying to teach myself to knit, but right off the bat I'm coming into some problems.

What is happening here?  Huh

I was doing a knit swatch just for practice, and found that the space between the needles kept getting bigger....and bigger...and bigger...

I don't know if it's the cast on being too loose or the knit being too tight or what, but I suspect this just ain't right.

Also, what do you do with the loose end of your cast on when you're ready to start knitting? Do you weave it in or knot it and then cut it off or what? I'm using the long tail cast on from www.knittinghelp.com.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heyitsdrea
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008 07:15:36 AM »

Mrs. Moskowitz is the bomb, she taught me how to knit!  I highly reccomend you watch this video.  She has a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzz5QR0HG0E

-Andre'a
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:  http://ribbonaficionado.blogspot.com/
Etsy:  www.andreashairflairs.etsy.com
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008 07:29:31 AM »

It looks like you dropped the Cast on stitch and one on your first row. Which CO did you use - backward loop or Longtail?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Eapa
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008 08:25:14 AM »

I'm not a fan of the longtail cast-on, so I don't use it enough to tell what happened -- though that looks exactly like what is normal when you do the backwards loop cast-on, so perhaps it translates to this one, too?  (Since long tail is basically backwards-loop knitted as you go.)

If you're open to learning new cast-on types, I would highly recommend learning the knit-on cast-on.  If you know how to knit, you already know most of it -- just knit into the stitch on the needle, and instead of slipping it off, put the loop back on the left needle and voil!  You have a new stitch.  (See the knittinghelp.com video here:  http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/39/1)  No need for guesstimating how long your long tail should be, and you're not left with such a stubby tail like you have in your picture -- which, to answer your other question, you would let hang while you knit, and then weave it in after you're done knitting the piece.  If you tried to knot and cut it, you run the risk of it unravelling under normal wear and tear (trust me, I've had that happen ... very boo).

Hope that helps!  Welcome to the world of knitting!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008 09:37:46 AM »

Yes, the knitted co may be the easiest to learn, and it's nearly the same as a knit stitch. The cable CO has a little nicer edging, but either one is good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Santclair

Clothing Texas one insane project at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008 11:05:14 AM »

Thanks for all the help, guys!

I used the longtail CO as shown on www.knittinghelp.com. Tried it again after I posted and it's still being weird. I'll try a different CO and maybe get some less-slippery yarn. The stuff I'm using there is a Christmas present from my roommate, who knows that I've been crocheting my entire life, so she went out and got me...a set of knitting needles, because they were cheaper than those silly crochet ones and it's pretty much the same thing, right? And some yarn made of bamboo because I'm all eco-friendly and I mentioned bamboo being really eco-friendly once. Grin

UNfortunately I know about as much about knitting as she does crochet, so I've been sitting here practicing and getting nowhere Sad

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008 08:09:46 PM »

A couple of my friends had this problem when I taught them to knit....as it turns out, its completely normal!  You're pulling your yarn too tight when you're knitting it, it would seem by the stitches on the needle, but the space between your needles is supposed to be there.  It gets longer because you're pulling tight when you're knitting, but when you figure out your tension a bit better, this will stop.  It IS correct though, so carry on!  Congrats on learning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008 09:15:39 PM »

Ohh yes, the bamboo can be really slippery, though if you use bamboo needles, they're grabby, so can work better than metal ones. You could put it aside for a while and get some wool yarn to practice one before you make something out of the bamboo. And yeah, you might be pulling the stitches too tight as you knit. You don't need to pull the yarn after you make the stitch to tighten it up, knitting the next stitch helps do that for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
KnittinHoney
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008 11:41:12 AM »

I would agree with prior commenters that it looks as if you're pulling things too tightly.  It looks to me as if everything is okay.  The only other thing that could possibly make a gap like that is if you dropped a cast-on stitch off the left needle before you were able to knit it onto the right needle and I'd think if that happened you would have seen it and recognized it.

Bamboo is a very, very slippery yarn, especially for a beginner, and especially if you're using non-wooden needles, which it looks like.  I advise all beginners to use wooden/bamboo needles for, as sozeeq mentioned, their "grabbiness." 

With respect to your equestion regarding the end, just leave it hang until you're finished then weave it in on the wrong side of the project using a yarn/tapestry needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chipotle Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe
Organic Farming in Scott Arkansas
How to Make Maple Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Straight Up BBQ Sauce
How to Make Naturally Sweet Barbecue Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...