A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUUUUUUUUGZZZZZZZZZZ! with text tutorial  (Read 9174 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moobaa
« on: February 16, 2004 10:45:38 PM »

Cheesy Just wanted to share my bugz with you guyz.  Cheesy
These are my dragon fly x mosquito bugz (whatever you like to call them is fine).
I made one for my daughter last year and showed it to a few people, well, I got orders for xmas didn't I and the total bugz count to date that I've made is somewhere between 30-40.  Roll Eyes
They look heaps better in real life, the colours are not so washy.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005 09:28:54 AM by quarkiegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your just jealous cause the voices only want to talk to me!
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004 10:50:46 PM »

those are so wonderfully awesome!!!   Shocked

I love them!!!   Grin

want to share how you made them???   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thixle
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004 10:55:25 PM »

Those are so amazing!  Shocked

I can tell the body is stuffed... Is the head a covered styrofoam ball?
What are the wings and how did you attach them so perfectly???

hehe... No, I'm not trying to rip you off, I'm just getting into soft sculpture and looking for some new techniques!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moobaa
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004 11:48:46 PM »

OK here goes........

First make the HEAD
Styrofoam Ball covered in stretchy crushed velvet. Just stretch the material over the ball and tie with strong string. Don't worry about the eyes, we'll do that later.

Then make the BODY
Get some satin and your trusty sewing machine. Sew a cone about 3-4 times longer than the head, (eg. the head measures 5cm across make the body about 20cm long) whateva looks right. Don't forget to leave a few cm at the end to tie the cone up.
I don't know what the rest of the world uses to put their shopping in but here in aus we use plastic bags, that generally tend to break while i'm trying to carry them full of stuff in 1 hand and a wriggling child in the other, but anyway. Stuff your bugz body with plastic shopping bags or garbage bags, pref. white, cause sometimes you can see the darker ones trough the material.
So, sew, stuff and tie, you should end up with something that looks like a huge carrot.

Now glue the head to the body. Tied bit to tied bit of course.

Now for the WINGS.
Go get some wire, I use 1.25mm Galvanized tie wire, any thicker and you can't get the beads on. Find something round, a tuppaware container works good. Leaving the wire on its coil, don't cut it yet, Wrap the wire around the container and twist to make a loop. Still don't cut the wire yet, you gotta make another loop. So you should end up with two loops joined together with about 2-3in of wire between the loops, should look like a big pair of spectacles.
Bend the wire to the shape you want for your wings.
Get some sheer material, some glue that dries clear, some metalic thread. Cut the material into rectangles and glue to wire (makes it so much easier to sew the material onto the wire) When the glue has dried trim the material so that you have about an 1-1 1/2in overhang from the wire. Now you just gotta roll the edges of the material into the wire and sew. (This is a perfected art and may take some practice.)
The fun thing about the wings is that you hav to do all that stuff i already told you again! Smiley You need 2 sets of wings.

OK have I confused you yet? Hope not.

Putting the bug together.
Bend the wings so they form a V and glue to the join between the head and body. Sit the join of the head and body in the V part of the wings. You now have a carrot with a head and wings.

Cut 3 lengths of wire for the legs, fold the wire lengths in half(6legs). Stick the wire over the join  between the head and body and twist to secure, do this with all 3 lengths. This will help hold the wings if your glue is not so strong.

Then get some fluffy boa stuff and wrap it around the join part to hide the wire and mess. Glue onto the body.

Put some nice beads on the legs and a pulled apart fake flower for the feet and bend them into shape.

The eyes are those wonderful flatbacked glass marbles glued to the head with wire spirals glued over the top.
The Stinger, mouthy bit whateva you wanna call it is a star sequin and some beads on a bit of wire jammed into the ball.

Sew a string to the body in the fluffy stuff somewhere to hang the bug up.

Thats pretty much it. I hope it doesn't sound too complicated. The longest part to make is the wings. I really suggest glueing the material to the wire before you sew it, saves a loooooooooooot of swearing!

Pheeeeeeeeeewwwwww I hope that makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your just jealous cause the voices only want to talk to me!
Bree
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004 11:51:45 PM »

VERY cool! It's so original! I love the eyes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just throw caution to the wind... then sit back and watch your life begin"
abricot
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004 12:00:06 AM »

Thanks for the instructions!! The ones you made are waaaay cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
kassandra
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 02:23:10 AM »

WOW those are so sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004 06:17:15 AM »

THOSE ARE AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 07:44:47 AM »

Super cool!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
diabla62
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004 07:57:33 AM »

oh my heavens!!!! Shocked Shocked
i want them!!!!!!!!!!!those are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Biryani
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
How to Make Fried Rice
How to Make Mango Chutney
How to Make Korean Tacos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...