A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100% natural ( bath and beauty mainly) board?  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2008 06:26:51 PM »

i was browsing through bath an beauty, thinking, Wouldnt it be great to have a board specifically for items that were 100% or at least very close to natural/organic? im guessing it would be just for beauty, maybe dog treats, because most crafts on here you dont eat. or at least not my earrings. heh.

there are many reasons, for one, health. im an avid believer if you cant pronounce methylaceficlorrate( fake example word), chances are those bad chemicals are bad for your. like commercially bought eyeliner( except MN state), and lipstick, do you want mercury or lead sinking into your skin??? lye for one is very bad, and i realize alot of people cant avoid this one some things you just cant.some people are allergic to these bad things too, not skin skin reactions either.. my mom is HIGHLY sensitive to chemicals, skin AND smelling them....i wont go on and on, theres a really good link in my sig, school concerns, you can visit if wanted.

it would just be nice to have, i realize alot of the posts are natural, and ive gotten some great recipes. this is just an idea.. you could post recipes for makeup, skin care, hair care, natural cleaners, deodorant, soaps, and more..

thanks for reading guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
dragonmama
MILF-y Crafter

Retired Swapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008 04:27:46 PM »

I like this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandandsilk.wordpre ss.com

wists.com/dragoneyezed
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008 12:15:24 AM »

I don't really think there is enough traffic on the Bath & Beauty boards to warrant another board. Most of the stuff on there is pretty natural, I know for myself that's why I started making my own soaps and lotions and lip balms.

Also I don't think your idea of lye being "bad for you" is correct. First of all, it is natural, second of all, there is not any lye in finished soap if you've done it correctly.

Maybe we could start a thread for natural stuff to keep it all in once place?  Also I think you would have to decide what your definition of natural is. I personally do not ever make anything with petroleum products because I think they are terrible on your skin, but petroleum jelly (vaseline) occurs "naturally" on the sides of oil rigs.

100% natural is awesome, but even something you hand make that is, say only 80% natural is going to be way better for you than a comprabable mass produced product.   Grin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008 12:19:43 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
missnihkii

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008 03:29:39 PM »

I don't really think there is enough traffic on the Bath & Beauty boards to warrant another board.

Also I don't think your idea of lye being "bad for you" is correct. First of all, it is natural, second of all, there is not any lye in finished soap if you've done it correctly.

Maybe we could start a thread for natural stuff to keep it all in once place?   but petroleum jelly (vaseline) occurs "naturally" on the sides of oil rigs.

100% natural is awesome, but even something you hand make that is, say only 80% natural is going to be way better for you than a comprabable mass produced product.   Grin

it wouldnt have to be in bath and beauty persay, just a all natural thread.. i just think it cut down on alot of wasted time/excitement. lye is corrisive, and maybe if you do it right, there may not be lye in it, but some people may not be that good. Thats pretty cool that you try not to use petroleum..also if pet. jelly occurs naturally on oil rigs, it may start out as natural but it could still absorb the oil. and yes, 80% is better. if more people would detox, you wouldnt have to be so careful too, i still wear eyeliner alot, i know its not the best but i do drink teas and stuff. which, all natural recipes could be a part of the thread too. i do like alot of the recipes i find but get bummed when i cant do something because harmful odors it may cause.. thanks alot for reading
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008 03:36:00 PM »

i'd like it, or maybe if links were flagged if they had chemical components?
for me the problem is 2-fold, i have trouble finding many of the substances at reasonable prices (and don't talk to me about international shipping) but my second and more important problem is that my skin takes offense to a lot of stuff, which is one reason why i'm not trying to use as much all natural as i can
making my own (very simple, but effective) lip balms and moisturisers has already done me heaps of good (and they've proved popular with family and friends who've tried them)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
missnihkii

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008 08:03:55 PM »

thanks selnith!! im not sure about the flagging, mare mare is right about the 80% being better.. your skin could be very chemical sensitive, my moms is. shes even odor sensitive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Broadwaybabe1307
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008 08:29:04 PM »

I definitely see how this is very beneficial, but I'm not sure if there would be enough entries on a board like that to really be a board... most people would put it with the non natural things of their topic But I could defnitely see a special kind of label or symbol for an item which is mostly natural
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missnihkii

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008 07:27:14 PM »

if there was an all natural board, im sure people would post there for it to not get moved by a moderator..and i know i could come up with alot of posts. even just using vinegar as a window washing fluid would be all natural..its a lot simpler than one would believe, and alot of people are turning to all green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Let Olivia Palermo, Jessica Alba, and More Be Your Guide to Getaway Style
Who Rocked The Zuhair Murad Frock: Padma Lakshmi Vs. Alessandra Ambrosio?
Must See Winter Fashion Trends
Invest in a Cold-Weather Vest Right Now
Fashion Expert Marcy Guevara Gives Us Style Tips For Plus Sized Women
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...