A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handy Dandy Manicure Roll Cozy Tutorial  (Read 2634 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2008 03:53:03 PM »

A friend of mine wanted to give her teacher a manicure set to go with the bath and beauty basket she was making up for Xmas... and asked me to help her make one.... so I decided while I made it up as I went along I would make a handy dandy tutorial for Craftster - you never know when someone else might want to make their own Handy Dandy Manicure Cozy...
So here goes!

Step one.. cut out your fabric - If you are using a heavy weight fabric like denim you won't need to add a thin batting.  If you are using cotton - cut out batting pieces as well..

Inner/Outer/Optional batting - 8x8" square
pocket - Inner/Outer/Optional batting - 3 1/2x8"
Put your pocket materials right side together and cut at an angle from one corner to 2 1/2" high, making a nice slope....

Step 2....
Sew together across the sloped sides(right sides together of course)
Then Open it up... Iron it, ironing the seam to one side...

Fold it the way it should be - with the wrong sides together and iron that pocket again Wink

Step 3...
topstitch across the top of that sloped edge - do not sew across the sides or bottom yet!

Step 4..
Lay that nice pocket on the top of the inner fabric and lay out your tool set (manicure set shown is the handy dandy Walmart trim nail kit special - you know the one that's like 88cents or a buck...)
Using your amazing disappearing mark b gone pen make a mark so you know where to sew your lines..

Step 5...
Sew your lines for your pocket dividers - start at the top and go down a little and then back up a few times to reinforce that top edges...

Step 6...
After you are done sewing up those nice lines... cut a 30" length of ribbon. Fold it in half and pin it in place 3 1/2" mark from the bottom. Tuck those loose ribbon ends in to the pocket so they don't get accidentally sewn in to your seams Wink
Lay your outer fabric (right side down!) on top and pin in place..

Step 7..
Sew again!  Whoo hooo!  Gotta love the sewing part... Sew starting at 1/4 the way across the top on the right side.. turn your corner... sew to the bottom... turn your corner.... sew to the top.. turn your corner and sew 1/4 the way across the top STOP!!! Don't sew all the way across the top or else you will not be able to turn your manicure cozy right side out  Grin

Step 8...
Turn it right side out... snip your corners... then use your handy dandy poking tool (I use a chopstick!) and poke those corners out til they are nice and pointy Wink Oh and break out that iron again and iron it nice and flat...!

Step 9....
Dang!  I'm not done yet???!!
Starting at the bottom left hand side top stitch up the side, across the top and down the other side. No need to stitch across the bottom!  Fold the top down about 1 3/4" and on each corner sew a few stitches back and forth just to hold that flap somewhat down....

And now you are done!  Put that cheap arse manicure set in the pockets, roll it up and tie it nicely and give it to someone you love - or that you think needs some serious help with those nails Cheesy

I hope that someone will make my handy dandy cheap arse manicure cozy!
okay.. I didn't get a picture of it all rolled up. Looks just like any typical rolled up cozy like a hook/needle roll...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008 04:04:56 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
sewjayded
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008 06:21:04 PM »

LOL, How could I *not* read a post with that title?  This tute will be very handy when I need to make a "cheap arse manicure roll cozy."  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008 06:35:15 PM »

Well.. the manicure set did only cost like a buck...!  I guess I could have called it a handy dandy tightwad manicure roll cozy, aye Cheesy  I just have to tell it the way it is...!
It did come out really cute.  She is tickled with it and it is super easy and can be adapted to fit just about anything and everything. Easy Peasy all around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Urban Threads

Full tutorials!! http://tiny.cc/tutorials534

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008 03:29:43 PM »

Aww what a cute idea!  I'm always losing my tweezers.  I swear they have legs.  I could use one of these...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like the project?  Check out full tutorials for all posted projects at www.urbanthreads.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designer Makes Clothes from Fermented Tea
Milan Shoe of the Day: Fendi
Style Guide: Black On Black
Styling Ideas for Winter Boots and Coats
How to Wear a White Slogan T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...