A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
315 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of Pregnant Friends! looking for fun (easy) gift ideas to make lots of!  (Read 2006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pmtvoice
« on: December 16, 2008 07:18:14 AM »

It always seems that when you are entering a phase of life, so is all your friends and people around you. Maybe it's just because you are aware of it in your life that you notice it more...But Anyway...

I have an ever growing list of friends that are announcing pregnancies and I would love to have a fun gift to give that is easy to make multiples of but can be customized to the couple or even the baby...if we know gender or name...

I want to spend a little more time making the gifts versus just buying something.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at http://pmtvoice.com
Design your own personalized ribbon at http://www.printmyribbon.com or custom labels at http://www.printmything.com
Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008 09:07:44 PM »

Good idea!  I agree with that phase concept...I have experienced that!  There are some great tutes on this forum for baby gifts.  (I'm not a new mom, but a soon-to-be (grandma) Mimi.)  I saw something cute on here recently. Will try to remember for you!  I think bibs are easy and another mom suggested to me: burp cloths.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008 09:06:29 AM »

I'm the same way! It seemed that ALL my friends were getting pregnant and I was so jealous, but now it's finally my turn (due in 5 wks!).
Anyway, I like to make baby blankets and burp cloths for shower gifts. With blankets you can get pretty fancy and use some nice minky fabric. As far as the burp cloths, I like to use cloth diapers and sew on fabric and trim. Either of these can be customized for the parents (favorite colors, sports teams, former college, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008 10:09:00 AM »

We have a very large family and it seems that there's always someone pregnant - in 08 we had a baby born in Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec. So I've learned what things are the biggest hits at showers.

Handmade Blankets - pick out fabrics that have the parents inteste in them (one Dad likes pool alot, I found great flannel fabric with pool balls on it, loved it) try to make it unique

If you know how to knit or crochet - booties and tiny socks are wonderful - especially with babies born in the colder climates or seasons

burp cloths - using a prefolded cloth diaper you can fancy it up by adding a strip of fabric

bibs - making these to match the blankets or burb cloths are always cute

Sleep saks are wonderful for babies - just remember to make them in a fabric for the season

Baby Legs - or little leg warmers are great too, perfect for layering or under a little dress (you don't have to wrestle with getting something over the diaper which is a plus when changing tons of diapers a day

Tiny headbands in soft fabrics

a carseat cover - again use fabric appropriate to the season

Tiny clothes are well recieved, especially when you make them - beware though you may get request for many more in the future

Mittens - newborn size and slightly larger - these things are always disappearing

If they are going to use a pacifier you can make a holder thingy (don't know what they're called, but it's basically a small strip of fabric or ribbon sewn to the end of a clip to attach to baby so it won't fall to the floor and get dirty)

A breastfeeding Momma might like a "hooter hider", a large blanket type thing that allows her to feed without an audience

Handmade wash clothes and towels are great too, and they "grow" with the baby

I usually also get diapers in either cloth or disposable depending on Mom's preference, these make super cute wreaths. I bought a wreath form at the Dollar Store, wrapped the diapers around securing with a small hair band and jazzed it up with ribbon and tiny baby items like nail clippers and such. A mega hit at all three showers, and it doubles as a decoration for the shower, always a plus.

Good Luck! And you have it right, babies tend to come in "crops" as my Grandma calls them.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008 04:58:46 PM »

My sister and I stenciled and tie-dyed onsies for our aunt's soon-to-be-born twin boys!  Each one says "It was him" with an arrow, so they'll point together.  My aunt says she needs one to wear around her husband, haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
crosswind
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008 09:25:35 PM »

It seems that my family is abundantly fecund this year as well!  I have been making patchworky jingly tag balls.  Let me clarify - they are soft stuffed balls sewn with ribbon "tags" sewn into the seam and a plastic egg with a jingle bell or two sewn inside.  The bell isn't jingly enough without it being in the egg, it gets muffled by the stuffing.  There are a few patterns and tutes out there if you look around.  This works well with blocks also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewels1223
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008 06:42:14 PM »

Since you have many to do, I think some of the cutest/easiest/cheapest items are:

Binkie clips -- make them with a badge ID clip (from walmart) on one end with a cute large button E-6000'ed to the clip - attach ribbon permanently to this end (I used E-6000 again). At other end of ribbon, make a velcro loop so the clip can be attached and dettached from the binkie Smiley

Burp cloths -- made from store-bought cloth diapers and emellished with pretty fabric, etc.

Wall hangings -- decorated pic frames, perhaps four frames each with containing a letter of B A B Y and decorated with ribbon

Mini album/scrapbook/journal -- perhaps use parents names on front... can recover a cheap-o dollar store/walmart mini album and make some pages so the busy mommy can enter in baby memories without being overburdened with scrapbooking-in-full after the pregnancy.

Stencilled onesies or bibs -- this could be easily customized to your recipients - I've heard the biggest thing is to buy a size other than newborn, cuz many people give a ton of newborn sizes at the shower but no larger ones for the weeks/months later....

That's all I could think of for now -- please show us what you end up doing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErnestoIsCool
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008 11:43:39 PM »

One of my favorite things to do is embroider animals or sayings on onesies. That way, they're unique for every kid and they're easy to mass produce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Care for a Hair Transplant
Salon Tips: Holiday Hair Styles
How to Style Your Hair: Side Parting
How to Tie a Double Hair Knot
How to Style Your Hair Into Side Pinned Waves
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...