A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In search of hot buttered rum  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyZedral
« on: December 16, 2008 04:41:48 AM »

Greetings, all.  As you know, Christmas is almost upon us, and I am co-hosting a Christmas dinner for the other teachers in my department.   It's going to mostly be BYOB, but I wanted to provide one drink, preferably somethin ghot.  I was thinking of serving hot buttered rum.  Does anyone here have a tasty, tried and true recipe for it?    I've been doing some internet searches, and most of them look easy enough, but they call for brown sugar.  I haven't seen it here yet.  I'm sure it's around here somewhere, but in Istanbul, "somewhere" could be 2 hours away Wink    Anyway,  if you could toss a recipe my way, that would be wonderful.  OR, if you have any other hot drink recipes that you like, such as a good formula for mulled wine.   I just want it to be warm and contain alcohol Smiley 

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BossyLibraryLady
Resident Gorgon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008 08:21:19 PM »

If you can't find brown sugar in the supermarket, you can make your own by mixing standard white sugar with molasses. The Hillbilly Housewife has an exact recipe here:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/brownsugar.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Glitter is like the herpes of craft supplies. Once it's on you, prepare to have it on you FOREVER." -Demetri Martin
CraftyZedral
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008 09:49:38 PM »

Cool! Thanks for the link.  Someone told me she saw brown sugar in one of the grocery stores in our part of the city. I'll check it out and see if they actually do have it.  They have a type of molasses here, too, some kind of stuff they make from grapes or something.  Definitely not the blackstrap we're used to! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheFanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008 12:12:37 PM »

I have a phenomenal recipe for Hot Buttered Rum.  The problem is it does have brown sugar as one of the ingredients.  But like the other poster said, using sugar and molasses would compensate.  While the recipe does not call for a specific type of rum I would definitely use dark rum in this case:

This is the perfect Holiday drink. I think this is the drink equivalent to comfort food. It's a comfort drink. The fact that the drink is warmed plus the rum just warms the body all over.

2 cups of firmly-packed brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 pinch salt
3 sticks cinnamon
6 cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

2 cups rum (more if you like)
Topping: Whipped cream, ground nutmeg

Directions:

1. Put all ingredients (except rum and topping) in a crock pot and add 2 quarts of water.
   2. Stir well to dissolve sugar.
   3. Set crock on low for 5 hours - stirring a few times throughout the process.
   4. After 5 hours add the rum. If you add the rum at the beginning the alcohol will evaporate out.
   5. At this point just stir in the rum and get the mixture back up to heat.
   6. Use a ladle to put the Hot Buttered Rum into cups, add a dollop of whipped cream and grate some fresh nutmeg onto the whipped cream. An extra stick of cinnamon in each cup is a nice touch too.

I'm telling you, if you take this to a holiday party you will be loved and adored by your friends and relatives. And if you serve this at a holiday party you are hosting your entire place will just ooze with the scent of the holiday season. This is better than any holiday potpourri on the market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyZedral
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 12:19:20 AM »

Thank you! This sounds perfect.  One of the other teachers said she saw brown sugar in town, so I am going to go find it today.  I can't wait!   Maybe I'll make a test cup for myself this weekend Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back To School: Age Appropriate Make Up Tips
How to Mask Cellulite
Growing Out Your Bangs? 3 Hairstyles to Ease the Transition!
Is The Beachwaver the Mother of All Curling Irons? We Find Out!
How to Look Hot in Bikini Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...