A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: custom ornaments  (Read 1150 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laur328
Blood, Sweat and Crafts.

Let's get high on art supplies and hibernate!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2008 09:16:53 PM »

these are jsut a few of the more exciting ornaments ive done and past few weeks.

group shot

skull and a bottle of JD for my oldest brother

eagles helmet for my dad and a cowboy boot and hat for my boyfriends sister and mom they like country

ninja and nunchucks for my youngest brother

JD again, wizard hat for my dad and a mario shroom for my youngest brother

elephant dressed as a clown for my oldest brother because his friend katie loves elephants but hates clown.  i feel kinda bad making it cause i like her.  and my little blue dude.

next on really isnt an ornament its a fairy door.  we saw these t the ren faire and my mom loved them.  its got an incomplete fairy too.  she needs hair but im at a loss at how to do it,  any suggestions??

i call this one the wine cellar.  complete with empty bottles. lol

close up of bald fairy lol.  i used the wings from an old butterfly ornament and changed them up a bit.

comments welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rooftopstudio
craftingcaren
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008 07:22:06 PM »

You could use floss (the thread kind, not the dental) and glue.  I bought a Klutz book on making fairies for my daughter and they had a tutorial in it.  Next time you are in a Borders or Barnes and Noble, go to the kid's section and check out the Klutz books.  You could just read the one section.  It works well and they look pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008 08:26:34 AM »

Cool ornaments! You've done quite a large range of things Shocked but so personal to each recipient, they'll definitely be a hit. Love the little fairly grasping her tummy with the wine bottles next to her Cheesy and that gate and mini-vines are great.

she needs hair but im at a loss at how to do it,  any suggestions??

Now that she's baked, you have fewer easy options. 
If you don't mind rebaking, you can add a little liquid clay to the head then create clay hair, and rebake. 
Or you could just form the raw clay hair on her head, put her in the freezer a while to firm up the hair and carefully remove it, then bake it separately (perhaps on a cloud of polyester stuffing, stuffed with a bit of tissue, or set into a pile of baking soda or cornstarch, to help support the shape)... then just glue it back on the head (2-part epoxy glue, E-6000, or even permanent white glue in this case since there won't be much stress). 
(And there's a way to seat hair like that plug by plug, but you probably don't want to go to that much trouble for this particular figure.)
Or you could just glue various kinds of non-clay hair onto the baked head (see link below -- or even something like a bit of metallic-gold scrubby pad to make Christmas hair, etc.).
(Or you could leave her "abstract" without hair or facial features --nothing wrong with that!)

There are examples of all kinds of hair for clay figures and lessons on how to do them on this page at my site if you want more info and ideas:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpting_body_and_tools.htm
(...click on Hair)

I noticed you attached her cute wings by wrapping the excess wire around her chest, but you also could have embedded the ends of the wire into her back to hold the wings on.  You could even do that after baking if you want... just drill** two holes in her back then glue in the wire-ends (or pack with raw clay and liquid clay and rebake), or you could add more clay to embed the wire into either by baking some clay on the wire then gluing it to the back, or by pressing raw clay and wire onto the baked back with some liquid clay and rebaking.  (There's also stuff about various ways to make wings for polymer figures on the page I linked to above, if you're interested... just click on Wings instead of Hair.)

**Baked polymer clay can be drilled into pretty easily because it's fairly soft when cured (the Sculpey brand may chip a bit).  Just use a regular drill bit (put it in a pin vise as a handle, or make a polymer clay handle for it) and screw away!  Or you could use an eye screw instead... remove it after screwing in to leave a kind-of hole.  If you reheat the clay briefly, it will soften even more (for drilling into).

I like the bas relief cowboy boot (faux stitching is a great addition!) and hat too, but am concerned that the face guard clay strands of the helmet will break off fairly easily (certainly if you're using Sculpey).  If you worry about that or it happens, you might want to put the whole helmet onto a base sheet of clay (perhaps cut into a square or oval or round shape) to act as a framing element and  keep the helmet from breaking; just use a bit of liquid clay between the baked and raw clay to create a good join (and add a hole in the base for the connector) --or you could just glue the backing and helmet together as two pre-baked parts.

Diane B.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008 08:30:40 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find the Perfect Hair Color for You
How to Cover Gray Hair
Summer Hairstyles
How To Style Your Hair Using A Hair Wand
Summer Travel Tips For Natural Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...