A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reconstructed Tree Angel  (Read 818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ambervacation
I really can't afford to be here :)

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2008 11:48:16 AM »

I think this is in the right place. Huh

Backstory:
So, ever since I was a little girl, my mother has had two Christmas trees.  On top of each tree was a tree angel.  One of those tree angels is one my mother has had FOREVER and one is one that my grandmother gave me when I was a little girl. Well, last year my mother felt that my brother and I were finally adult enough to have the massive amounts of christmas decor that she had collected for both of us since we were children to keep at our respective homes.  However, this left my mom one tree angel short, and since this is the frist Christmas for her that both my brother and I are out of the house, I thought I would buy her a new tree angel.  Well, all of the angels I found were... hideous.  I don't do fiber-optic tree angels, sorry. So then I was going to make her one... but I think I would still be working on it if that had happened.  So I did the next best thing.  I found one with pretty wings and a pretty face and remade her dress and other decor. 
On to the pictures!!
This is pre-makeover angel:

Notice the nice wings, peaceful face, but unfortunate dress, and what exactly is she holding???
In progress angel:

Plastic bags and a business card to protect her wings

Letting the hemdown and changing the underskirt.  I also changed her collar, and waist line to be less "gold"
Finished Angel:

With banner that reads "God Bless This Family" and *removeable* holly crown (I wasn't sure if i liked it, so I let my mom decide).  There are also some lacey flowers sewn to the underskirt and a holly garland running through her hands behind the banner.

All in all, it was success.  She cried and smiled and then cried some more.  It's going to be one of those Christmases  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftin Mama 4J
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008 12:38:00 PM »

Wow!  Great job!

I liked the angel okay "before", but she is really, really pretty after your beautifying touches!  (I like the holly crown too)  I like her holding the banner too!

Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dcowherd
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008 12:42:02 PM »

So pretty!  And what a thoughtful gift to your mom.  I almost cried, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixfiredesigns
~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008 12:50:46 PM »

Wow, she's really beautiful. I've been looking for a new angel myself and I've been disappointed by what's out there. Your remake is just the kind of thing I WISH they sold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
xperimentl
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008 01:07:37 PM »

She looks much friendlier with her makeover.  I never would have thought of reconstructing one!  You did a great job and I love the story behind it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
KristyDi
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008 06:30:47 PM »

I've had the same problem finding a star for the top of my tree.  I grew up with stars on our trees.  I hate most of the ones I find in the stores.  You've inspired me to get crafty with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people juggle geese.  -Hoban Washburn
rileyartie
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008 06:42:35 PM »

I love what you did. And the story is sweet too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambervacation
I really can't afford to be here :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008 09:21:51 PM »

Thank you everyone Smiley  I was definitely feeling brave when I decided to makeover the angel (I really didn't want to screw it up), but I am happy with the result and feel confident in future endeavors as well. Tongue

I highly recommend 'readjusting' whats out there to fit your tree-topping (or other decor) needs.  Often the base product is pretty good, its the mass produced details that aren't the best.  It also saves you a ton of time by not having to recreate the wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
About the Dying Art of Stone Carving
Giant Hot Wheels Sculpture
Sandcastle: Creating the Sand Pile
Creating the Towers of the Sandcastle
How to Build a Sandcastle
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...