A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift store sweater reincarnated into felted mittens and bag!Tutorial(img hvy)  (Read 10505 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

freisss
« on: March 11, 2005 07:30:40 AM »

To start off, I found a beautiful sweater at the thrift store.  It was very thick, very inexpensive and 100% wool.  My first thought:  This would be sooo cool felted!  Whoopsie.  It went through two wash loads before I read online that white wool doesn't felt so awfully well...so now I have a partially felted beauty that needs a new life.

I especially wanted to use the collar, which felted pretty much completely.  Mittens seemed like the logical choice, so I removed it and made myself a pattern by drawing around my right hand, which is a little bigger than my left.

This I halved and cut into two mitten shapes using my pattern.

This photo shows one sewn up and one not yet sewn.  I hand sewed these because the felted collar was NOT going to go through my sewing machine!

Close-up of my beauteous stitching ::cough::.

Here are the finished mittens.  They are too thick to drive in, but boy will they come in handy for walks in the frigid New England weather!

Next, I attacked the rest of the sweater for the bag.  My inspiration was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bag someone on this forum had made from a sweatshirt. (see link here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13826.0) I removed the sleeves, which were going to become bag handles.

I turned the sleeves around and re-stitched them so they would point up instead of down.

This shows the bag with the sleeves sewn together at the center and partially attached at the armpits.  It also shows the bottom of the bag sewn.  I could have done a different kind of seam to make the bottom more boxy, but my sewing machine wasn't much interested in attacking anything thicker than the very bottom of the hem part, and I wasn't about to argue.

I finished all edges with a blankety kind of stitch using some recycled sweater yarn I bought from eBay.  I even finished the edges of the handle so it would seem more like a handle and less like sleeves.

Here is another view of the finishing stitch.

Here is the finished bag, of which I'm immensely proud!  It holds my entire sweater project (which is a men's XL) and feels nice on my shoulder!  Yay me!  Yay recycling!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 07:29:20 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
heroinechic
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005 07:46:44 AM »

those mittens are so cute!  and must be so warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freisss
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005 08:22:00 AM »

Thank you!  They are really, really thick-- amazingly warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purplerose
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005 08:39:40 AM »

That's really cute!  I adore the mittens--nice use of the entire sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freisss
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005 03:07:25 PM »

Thank you!  I think I'm gonna use some of the eBay yarn to crochet one of those old-fashionedy long strings to hold 'em inside the sleeves of my coat.  My mom always used to put my mittens on strings or clips so I wouldn't lose 'em. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005 10:18:39 AM »

Thank you!  I think I'm gonna use some of the eBay yarn to crochet one of those old-fashionedy long strings to hold 'em inside the sleeves of my coat.  My mom always used to put my mittens on strings or clips so I wouldn't lose 'em. 
Mine, too.  I hated mine as a kid, but I think I'd appreciate one now.  Kids on the playground could completely control me by grabbing the mitten from my hand and pulling!  (My mom called it an "idiot strap," and it was bright orange.)

I totally love that purse.  It makes me want to try one, too.  I should go back to "my" Goodwill, where they're selling all women's sweaters, shirts, and dresses for $1 this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
freisss
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005 12:43:58 PM »

Gotta do it!  I'm gonna try it again sometime with a sweater that isn't white...maybe it'll felt completely this time!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005 05:11:00 PM »

Ooh.. I love the mitts! And I love that they're handsewn too... it's like a project even I could handle Smiley (Good job!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005 03:39:55 PM »

I like the bag and the mitts, good work.

As a side note about mitten strings, they are now banned from schools here along with drawstrings on jackets.  The fear is apparently that they could get caught in a bus door and the bus could pull away dragging the child behind it.  I suppose it could be possible, but it never happened when I was a kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stellaxsnake
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005 07:21:18 PM »

wonderful use of such a great sweater! and the fact that it's all handsewn makes it even better. i should really invest in some nice wool mittens like yours, they look sooo warm.
i never find anything even half as good in any of my local thrift shops. *jealous*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

like a skull shaped balloon, i believe in us
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Writer Finds Audience Through Erotic Pro-Wrestling Fan Fiction
Fan Fiction
Si-Cology 1 by Duck Dynasty’s Uncle Si
Fury Series by Elizabeth Miles Book Trailer
Fury Book Series by Elizabeth Miles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...