A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some skirts (a petticoat too) and a fascinator! TUTE ADDED!  (Read 12001 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008 05:31:09 AM »

Thank you for the compliments guys! Smiley

Looks great! I bought an old ridiculously long petticoat (I think it's meant to go all the way up to my boobs?) at garage sale in the summer that I've been meaning to fix up (maybe it should go into my "destash-along" plan... hm)... I should work on some skirts like that one in fabulous fabric such as that to go with it! (Did you just make it as a "circle skirt"?)

I actually used a "flared skirt" tutorial off of the EGL community on livejournal, I'll see if I can't find it again and post it later today. Except that in the tutorial the girl did six panels and I only had enough fabric to do four.

I will work on that tute and probably post it later today (the roads are so icy out, I'll probably be calling in to work...). Smiley

oh and amiemoo - the mary janes are by Sofft, and they're pricy but holy cow the most comfortable heels I've ever owned...the bootie-things I found at a store that sells brand stuff, usually from last season, at a low price(Name Brand Clothing or 1/2 of 1/2? not sure if they're a local thing or what), they're by Two Lips and were originally like $100, I got 'em for $24  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008 08:21:42 AM »

Ooooh, I like everything that you made!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008 10:41:40 AM »

I LOVE every single item!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008 11:20:21 AM »

Okay here's the tutorial! It's my first one, so if you have any questions just ask.

1. The first step is to construct the underskirt. I used satin, you can really use whatever you want as long as it's opaque. Figure out how long you want it to be (I made mine a little above knee length) first, and then cut out the fabric. I used my favorite method for making a circle skirt which is this:

2. Since I was using satin, I immediately serged the edges, which if you have a serger and are using satin I HIGHLY recommend. That stuff frays like nobody's business. Then, you'll cut a piece of elastic a few inches shorter than your waist measurement, and a piece of fabric that's about 2.5 times the width of your elastic, and several inches longer than your waist measurement!! This is important, because I was a ditz and made it only an inch or two longer than my waist measurement, and now it will only fit over my boobs if I'm not wearing a bra, and won't go over my ass at all. Just sayin'. Keep it in mind. Then you'll fold the fabric over, stitch along the edge, turn it inside out (or not - I just sewed wrong sides together since the bottom of the elastic is under the skirt anyways, so I saved myself a step), and put the elastic through it. It might take a while. I'll wait.

3. Now, you'll pin and sew the long tube you just made to your circle skirt and stitch! I just left the hem of the skirt serged and didn't officially hem it because a. I am lazy and b. it's under a freakin' pound of tulle anyways, so nobody knows but me.

4. Here comes the fun part. THE TULLE. Woo-hoo. Okay, you'll cut out two pieces of tulle TWICE as long as your waist measurement and several inches long (depends on how many tiers you want to do - I did three tiers, so I my top two tiers were 7" long and the bottom was 8.5", as you saw, this resulted in a skirt a little longer than knee length). There can be several variations from what I did at this step - if you'd like, you could do three times your waist length for a really poofy tullemonster. Or sandwich in a layer of lace betwen the two layers of tulle for some added fanciness and opacity, or just do another layer of tulle. And of course it's possible to vary the length of the tier. At any rate, now it's time to run it through the sewing machine on a basting stitch - I used a 4mm stitch. Leave longggg trails of thread at the end. Now go look at one of those ends, and tug on each of the threads. One of the threads should start gathering the fabric when you tug on it. Tug and tug and tug some more, even out the gathering as you go, until the gathered edge of the tulle is as long as your waist measurement. Set this aside for now, someplace where the damn cat won't get ahold of it and break the threads, undoing your hard work. Luckily for me, he only got the last four inches or so.

ALTERNATELY: If you are a lucky lucky person who owns a ruffler foot and knows how to use it, just fiddle around with the settings until you get a setting that gathers to the needed amount (i.e., can take a 10" strip of fabric and turn it into a 5" strip of ruffled fabric). Or you can do as I did, which involved having trouble with the ruffler foot, swearing loudly at the sewing machine, and grumpily resigning yourself to hand-gathering. Whatever works.

5. Now, take the length of the last piece of tulle that was cut cut, pre-gathering, and double that (we'll call the resulting measurement x). Cut out two 7" by x" pieces of tulle, and do the basting stitch along one edge again. Now, you'll gather it to the original length of the first piece of tulle. This would probably be a good time to put on some Buffy or something, because it could take a while. Once you get done gathering it, pin it and sew it to the bottom layer of the first tier.

6. This time, you'll take the length of the second tier pre-gathering and double it (measurement x). Cut out two pieces of tulle that are 8.5" by x", and baste one edge. Gather it until the gathered edge is the same length as the pre-gather length of the second tier (this will take a WHILE - I reiterate my suggestion to put a dvd on or something), and pin it and sew it to the bottom layer of the second tier. Confused? Hopefully this will help:

Now you've got a nearly constructed skirt - all you have to do is sew up the side of all three tiers, and then pin the top gathered edge to the foundation skirt you made, right under the waistband. Sew that all up, and then bam! Put on your petticoat and twirl around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008 07:09:59 PM »

They all look great and I love your hair!  Smiley  I especially like the blue dress, but I loooooove the Dia de los Muertos fabric.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Darlinclem
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008 08:33:21 PM »

I love everything you made.  It looks so fun to wear!  My fiance likes the petticoat and skirt very much as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008 12:42:38 PM »

Great looking tutorial for the petticoat too. (Although I don't think I'll be attempting it anytime soon... me+ tulle don't mix well. Like oil and water).

I'll keep an eye on the thread to see if you find the flared skirt tutorial though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008 02:19:17 PM »

ohh yeah sorry I meant to post it and forgot, here's the link to the tutorial for the flared skirt.

Yeah - the act of making the petticoat was out of pure desperation and wanting it NOW, haha. I didn't want to wait to win an eBay auction or have it shipped here (well, and I would have had to wait until Friday, as I am le broke and conned my fiance into buying the tulle for me even...).

I'm still planning on making the other skirt, I'm just pondering how to do it without it looking too cutesy. It's a black-on-white print of roses in very soft drapey material, and I was originally going to just do a circle skirt but I'm not sure if I'd ever wear it that way. Pondering maybe adding some hot pink grommet tape and d-rings or something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Automaton J.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008 12:36:53 AM »

That dia de los muertos skirt is rockin. My local fabric store has that fabric like that. God, I really want to go down there, grab some of it, and try to make a skirt like your's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kat21
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008 03:35:48 AM »

I would love a tute for the petticoat if your thinking about it.  I have been trying to find a petticoat for ages but apparently nowhere on the gold coast sells them.  And I have no idea where to start with making one.  Yours is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 5/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 2/10
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...