A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 306,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first quilt (and I am not even keeping it!!) Pic HEAVY!!!  (Read 1859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PuppyHero
« on: December 14, 2008 07:58:59 PM »

I decided in August that I would like to make a quilt.  So me being me, and having never made a quilt before, I decided why make one of those 4 sided quilts and use some pattern someone else made?  NOOOOO  I had to go design my own and have 8 sides and a stuffed pillow on it.  Not the easiest beginners project I don't think.  But hey its done! 

The idea was I wanted to make a pumpkin quilt for my boyfriends mother, she loves pumpkins and halloween.  Then I had this brain storm to make it pumpkin shaped! oh wait lets add a stem and leaves that's stuffed like a pillow.  It also turned out smaller than I planned, I forgot the 1/4 inch that came off each of my squares, but its still a good sized lap blanket.

My machine would not do the main quilting part, so the "quilting" bit is all hand done. It is designed like a pumpkin vines with leaves that I free hand drew then quilted (no patterns).  The top is machine pieced and the binding of course with the machine.  I am sure this has broken a lot of "quilting" rules, but I am not one much for rules.  I just had my idea and went at it.  Next I think I will make a giant star, I think it might make me cry!

enough talk PICTURES!

Laid out:

the stem:

The quilted bits, sorry theya re kinda hard to see

The Back:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorcivamp
My Crap

A Crafty Vamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008 10:13:48 PM »

SOOOOOOOOOOO awesome!!!  I am totally gunna half to do that. What an Idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Henny Penny
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008 10:54:08 PM »

Suh-weet! Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antijamsect

bb foxy and me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008 09:54:05 AM »

this is pretty awesome. you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PuppyHero
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008 07:20:50 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008 05:56:03 AM »

Wow - very cool quilt, and definitely not the easiest thing for a beginner project.  I bet she'll love it!

And BTW, I love your avi photo - I used to have ferrets!  They were the most fun pets, but I don't think they'd mesh well with my 2 little kids, so we're gonna get a cat soon.  But ferrets rock, man!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hejin
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008 06:04:23 AM »

Wow that's elaborate, especially for a first quilt! I've never seen pillows attached to quilts before. I didn't keep my first quilt as well, and it'll probably be my last...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PuppyHero
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008 10:47:25 AM »

Wow - very cool quilt, and definitely not the easiest thing for a beginner project.  I bet she'll love it!

And BTW, I love your avi photo - I used to have ferrets!  They were the most fun pets, but I don't think they'd mesh well with my 2 little kids, so we're gonna get a cat soon.  But ferrets rock, man!

Already gave it to her, she loved it.  called me right away to say she cant wait to sit on the couch and cuddle with it.  Smiley  YAY

And the pic is of my boy Brienn, hes just too cute and naughty.  My ferrrets love to help with all my projects, had a hard time taking pics of my quilt wihtout a ferret or dog in the photo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PuppyHero
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008 10:49:42 AM »

Wow that's elaborate, especially for a first quilt! I've never seen pillows attached to quilts before. I didn't keep my first quilt as well, and it'll probably be my last...

There is a reason people dont attach pillows to quilts, ITS A PAIN!   that was the hardest more horrible part of the whole thing.  I dont think I will ever do that again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011 04:09:05 PM »

Bumping this up. How amazing the work you did. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...