Haven't posted in a while, and as I am wearing my nalbound hats a lot at the moment, I thought I'd show them. Hats are a very typical thing to make in nalbinding, because there are actually early medieval findings of such hats, and they are not very complicated to make.
My very first hat in nalbinding, Oslo stitch B1 UO/UOO
I did it in a backward stitch because I didn't know yet that you can do it the other way
It makes the stitches look less typical, but I like this look. The thick storebought wool shows the structure of the stitches very well:
I made some big mistakes with this hat, but I still love it, and I wear it a lot in cold weather.
One of my first hats was this one in free-handed Korgen stitch F1 UUO/UUOO
I had discovered the mystic knowledge of the backward and forward stitches
This hat was made to try how very large Korgen stitches would look like. When I made the hat, I made the stitches over two fingers! I made it in white and half a year later, I dyed it with green walnut shells. The fabric has shrunk a bit in the dyeing process, but it's still very light and airy, and I like the lacey look.
Talking about light and airy: I love to make nets and filigrane stuff, this is also possible in nalbinding. Look at this hat:
It's made in backward Danish stitch: B1 O/UO, from handspun and plantdyed wool. The backward stitch was used on purpose here, with the Danish stitch he just works better. The Danish stitch is actually producing nothing but holes anyway, so I thought I could use it for nets.
I intended them to be bags. I gave them the look of hats, in case I wanted to have them for both uses, but only one of them fits me
I wore it in summer, and it was very comfortable, letting through the breezes.
This is also a hat, I guess... *sigh*
Made from handspun wool, plantdyed with nettle, in Danish stitch (B1 O/UO), Oslo stitch (F1 UO/UOO) and Korgen stitch (F1 UUO/UUOO). I must admit it was fun to make, partly because I wanted to look how a spiral design works when you increase the size of the stitches (works great!), and partly because the yellow at that time wasn't the sad pastel you see in this picture, but a radioactive neon yellow which I have sadly never been able to reproduce from nettle. I loved that color! When I was done with the hat, I felted in in the washing machine. Didn't felt very well.
Here is a progress picture that shows very well the three different stitch sizes:
I still like the pattern I used for this hat, but I don't wear it (yuck, pastell!), and it's too sturdy for a bag. Right now it's no more than a piece of my nalbinding history.
But it's not the most embarassing hat I made. This is:
So I made a grey hat/bag thingie to train the new Korgen stitch I had just learned (wool is natural black and white spun together). It was so boring that I wanted to embroder it. I sketched a geometrical pattern, stitched it on - and it turned into a band of hears! Errr... I am not the girly pink hearts and polka dot type. Also, hearts and grey hats remind me of the weird Bavarian stuff
They are big on tasteless hearts on everything
I started to fill some of the elements with white, which is an improvement, but I never had the nerve to finish it. The hat still looks pretty much like in the picture. From a certain distance in time, I think it's not that bad. Just campy. But well, who said nalbinding can't be campy