A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,198
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nalbinding: all kinds of Viking-like hats [img heavy like a stone]  (Read 6392 times)
Tags for this thread: nalbinding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 14, 2008 07:59:24 AM »

Haven't posted in a while, and as I am wearing my nalbound hats a lot at the moment, I thought I'd show them. Hats are a very typical thing to make in nalbinding, because there are actually early medieval findings of such hats, and they are not very complicated to make.

My very first hat in nalbinding, Oslo stitch B1 UO/UOO

I did it in a backward stitch because I didn't know yet that you can do it the other way Smiley It makes the stitches look less typical, but I like this look. The thick storebought wool shows the structure of the stitches very well:

I made some big mistakes with this hat, but I still love it, and I wear it a lot in cold weather.

One of my first hats was this one in free-handed Korgen stitch F1 UUO/UUOO

I had discovered the mystic knowledge of the backward and forward stitches Smiley This hat was made to try how very large Korgen stitches would look like. When I made the hat, I made the stitches over two fingers! I made it in white and half a year later, I dyed it with green walnut shells. The fabric has shrunk a bit in the dyeing process, but it's still very light and airy, and I like the lacey look.

Talking about light and airy: I love to make nets and filigrane stuff, this is also possible in nalbinding. Look at this hat:

It's made in backward Danish stitch: B1 O/UO, from handspun and plantdyed wool. The backward stitch was used on purpose here, with the Danish stitch he just works better. The Danish stitch is actually producing nothing but holes anyway, so I thought I could use it for nets.

Like these:

I intended them to be bags. I gave them the look of hats, in case I wanted to have them for both uses, but only one of them fits me Smiley I wore it in summer, and it was very comfortable, letting through the breezes.

This is also a hat, I guess... *sigh*

Made from handspun wool, plantdyed with nettle, in Danish stitch (B1 O/UO), Oslo stitch (F1 UO/UOO) and Korgen stitch (F1 UUO/UUOO). I must admit it was fun to make, partly because I wanted to look how a spiral design works when you increase the size of the stitches (works great!), and partly because the yellow at that time wasn't the sad pastel you see in this picture, but a radioactive neon yellow which I have sadly never been able to reproduce from nettle. I loved that color! When I was done with the hat, I felted in in the washing machine. Didn't felt very well.
Here is a progress picture that shows very well the three different stitch sizes:

I still like the pattern I used for this hat, but I don't wear it (yuck, pastell!), and it's too sturdy for a bag. Right now it's no more than a piece of my nalbinding history.

But it's not the most embarassing hat I made. This is: Smiley

So I made a grey hat/bag thingie to train the new Korgen stitch I had just learned (wool is natural black and white spun together). It was so boring that I wanted to embroder it. I sketched a geometrical pattern, stitched it on - and it turned into a band of hears! Errr... I am not the girly pink hearts and polka dot type. Also, hearts and grey hats remind me of the weird Bavarian stuff Smiley They are big on tasteless hearts on everything Smiley I started to fill some of the elements with white, which is an improvement, but I never had the nerve to finish it. The hat still looks pretty much like in the picture. From a certain distance in time, I think it's not that bad. Just campy. But well, who said nalbinding can't be campy Smiley Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008 08:55:59 AM »

Makes me want to learn how to do nailbinding.
I really like a couple that you have shown - the second one pictured (in free-handed Korgen stitch) has a definite back and front to it. And the backward Danish stitch hats/bags look great as well. (Is filigrane really filigree?)

Good work,
Janey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008 09:55:58 AM »

Wonderful!  It's great you're helping keep these old methods alive.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008 12:45:10 PM »

I've never done naalbinding myself, but it always pleases me to hear of someone else doing it, because it would be a shame for such an old skill to die out.

That more net-like technique you used would make a pretty snood, if you know any ladies with long hair who like to wear one. The earthy colors you've made on those are nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008 09:22:16 AM »

Filigree is a word? Smiley Smiley OK, I looked it up, it is a word Smiley Smiley And it was the word I meant.
Usually, people go for very tight and waterproof fabric with nalbinding, because the historic findings are like that, and the thumbcatching method most people use produces tight stitches. But you don't have to. I like to play and to try new stuff, and to make the stitches huge seemed to be the obvious thing to do.
Of course, my second hat does not protect me very well from heavy rain or cold wind, but in a slight drizzle it works fine and looks good.
I have seen snoods, the nets would be good for those, I agree, esp. as I haven't learned how to do sprang yet.
The earthy colors are what I can dye myself with plants I can collect on a walk (maple, nettle, rose, willow bark...). I'd never spend money on those colors in a shop, but when I make them myself, I love them!

My craft blog: www.free-blog.in/rubysblog
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Tips on Making Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Donut Making at Scoop De Jour
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...