A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL - Etched vases  (Read 2568 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , etched_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 13, 2008 09:15:27 AM »

I saw these vases at Ikea in the summer and thought they would make great containers for gifts at Christmas.  I wish I picked up more, as they were a good size, nice heavy glass, and the price was fantastic.  I was thinking they would make a great container for candles, or spa stuff, or cookies, that I could wrap up and give to others.  I only picked up three at the time, and decided to use them to hold soaps, etc, for three girlfriends of mine.

I etched them on two of the four sides, using the same technique I used for the unicorn canisters I made last year, using fabric paint to make the stencils.  Unfortunately I did not have the time to make the bath bombs, scrubs, and fizzies I wanted too - so they only have the soaps I made, with tissue paper as filler.  Stupid me, I have to rewrap them with a coloured tissue so the etching can be seen :C

The kitties - for my best friend who is obsessed with her cat

The unicorn, for the same friend who got the canisters last year - I was not as happy with this one, my hand was shaking a lot because it was the last one I did, and the tube of paint was getting a bit hard to squeeze near the end.

The pansies - for a friend who loves flowers -pansies, irises, and poppies are her fave.  She collects cat stuff too, but we have all given her so much cat stuff that she is drowning in it.

Here is what they looked like with the stencils.  This year, to prevent a "bloom" from the etching medium as it is washed off and touches clean glass briefly, I taped off large sections of the glass around the image, then used the paint to block off smaller areas between the image and the tape.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
chocolatebutton
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008 10:38:47 AM »

ohh i just replied to your other post askin for pictures of the etched vases! silly me, anyway i love these. the picture of the cat is sweet. i always wondered how they were done it's nice to see how you did it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008 01:37:11 AM »

I have one of these exact ikea vases I etched too  Grin  I think it's in one of my other posts.  They are PERFECT for etching!  I love your flower bloom!  I haven't tried using paint on mine yet, how hard is it to remove the paint after?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008 06:14:37 AM »

I have one of these exact ikea vases I etched too  Grin  I think it's in one of my other posts.  They are PERFECT for etching!  I love your flower bloom!  I haven't tried using paint on mine yet, how hard is it to remove the paint after?

Not  at all hard to remove the paint afterwards.  Just let it dry until it is dry to touch (overnight in this case) and etch.  When I painted, I let some of it overlap the tape, so after rinsing off the etching medium, when I lifted the tape, the paint peeled with it.  More hot water helps to loosen any that are more persistent.  What I would NOT do is paint it a week or so before you want to etch it - it may adhere even more.  I found that after I removed some lettering from when I etched my condiment bottles for my kitchen on the counter, they stuck good and hard, and I would have to scrape it to get rid of it.  Also, don't wash it down your sink - it will clog your drain, since it does not dissolve.  Just moisten to loosen and peel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008 08:52:10 AM »

Not  at all hard to remove the paint afterwards.  Just let it dry until it is dry to touch (overnight in this case) and etch.  When I painted, I let some of it overlap the tape, so after rinsing off the etching medium, when I lifted the tape, the paint peeled with it.  More hot water helps to loosen any that are more persistent.  What I would NOT do is paint it a week or so before you want to etch it - it may adhere even more.  I found that after I removed some lettering from when I etched my condiment bottles for my kitchen on the counter, they stuck good and hard, and I would have to scrape it to get rid of it.  Also, don't wash it down your sink - it will clog your drain, since it does not dissolve.  Just moisten to loosen and peel.

Even though that sounds so easy, I think I'll stick to my painters tape with an exacto knife method.  I don't think I'd be able to wait overnight for the paint to dry, I'm more of an instant gratification kind of person  Grin 

This is my ikea glass

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Mistakes To Avoid
Facial Toners You Can Make At Home
Need to Know: The Return of Penny Loafers, Cheap Eats, and Closed Circuit
8 Mistakes You Should Avoid When Applying Makeup
How To Prep Oily Skin For Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...