A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday December 12th, 2008  (Read 2349 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pmpknpunk
« on: December 12, 2008 06:49:23 AM »

I guess I'll start!  Grin It's been a busy week so I have photos but no additional information yet...

Crimson Clover Colorway by Exclusively Linda Lee on etsy, corespun

2nd Skein from my All Spun Up winnings, an Art Yarn with lots of HUGE coils and seed beads, I love it so it gets 2 pics Smiley

Dreamy from CJKopec on etsy

Blue Jay from Enchanted Knoll Farm on etsy

AND a FO from handspun!

Hat made with the All Spun Up chunky merino I posted last week!

Can't wait to see what everyone else has been up to, happy Friday!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008 08:03:35 AM »

Hey, pmpknpunk, look at this..
It's not even off the wheel but I am so happy with how it looks I gotta share. it's a batt from the uniquely yours spin along on ravelry. It started as 4 different batts. I predrafted them all together and spun them up into a single. Then I plied it with a shiny green thread with a little beads. It's colorful, shiny and nubby.

OH! I also have some yarn that I spun up for my grandmother's christmas present, I really should take a picture of that too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pmpknpunk
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008 08:06:53 AM »

AHHHH I love it!!!! What a great idea to predraft them together and the beads just add an extra punch. (I just may have to add beads too, is it bad that I haven't started mine yet? Hopefully this weekend (along with finishing up the Christmas cards that need to go out.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008 08:15:11 AM »

Wow, pmknpunk, I love that corespun.  I'm off now to check out that seller on etsy.  I love that colourway.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008 09:03:39 AM »

I've spun some of CJKopec's fibers.  real nice!!  Her young son does some of the dyeing also!!

I think 'Cowboy Cool' was my favorite of CJKopec's fibers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
contrivant
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008 09:43:58 AM »

Yay! My very first fiber Friday! I've only been spinning a few weeks, so don't judge me  Grin lol

It's Lorna's Laces Mt. Creek

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008 09:47:44 AM »

I'm really proud of this one, because it's actually worsted weight, and two ply.  Pretty much everything I spin is bulky...

Like these:

calling it "Homewrecker" because it was the batt that broke my carder... cottswold locks, merino, mohair, nylon

calling it Kermit.  it's already gone, so I don't remember the yardage, but it's bulky weight, cottswold and soysilk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008 10:47:36 AM »

i have two this week.
Flyingfish

and Space Nectar

this is the first yarn from batts i made with my new drum carder. I LOOOOVE it!!

this is my last Fiber friday for a while cuz i'm going to mexico for 2 months!! I'm excited but i will miss spinning and fiber fridays!  Cry

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
myklia
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008 10:52:37 AM »

I really love all the yarns this week, but I really love Blue Jay and Flying Fish.  I also love Lorna Lace's Mt Cree, and Kermit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008 12:13:07 PM »

I want you all to know that every Friday I look through these and drool.  I'm so jealous of all you yarnies.   I want to get into one of the yarn swaps that always seem to be going on, but I have nothing to offer.  So I just drool.... (I don't knit, only needlefelt..... a whole skein would last me a lifetime)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katem
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008 03:33:44 PM »

Yay, this is my first fiber friday.
I borrowed my sisters spinning wheel a few weeks back and I kind of went crazy.

First Try

Second Try

And So On

Getting Better

More Fun

And Finally

Which is turning into the Hemlock Ring Throw

THIS ROCKS   Logged
caedara
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008 06:40:12 PM »

Wow katem, you made preogress fast! The throw looks really nice so far.
So many great yarns this week! Especially Space nectar, Kermit and the 2nd All Spun up (pmpknpunk).

Here are mine. I missed last weeks Fiber Friday, so I have quite a few new ones to share.
Powder - 100 yards, wool, mohair, silk

Fiesta - 105 yards, Merino, Kid Mohair, Viscose and sparkle

Blackberry Cream - 211 yards (2 skeins), Falkland wool and Viscose

Beach - 75 yards, Falkland wool

Chaos - 293 yards, Romney and Cotswold wool, Romney lambs wool, silk, linen, suri alpaca and sparkle.

Fantasia - 423 yards, Falkland wool

Playful - 296 yards (2 skeins), Falkland wool

Sally - 159 yards, Falkland wool

Leprechaun - 161 yards, Corriedale wool, Alpaca

Heather - 130 yards, Falkland wool

Fleur - 87 yards, Falkland wool

THIS ROCKS   Logged

andi_sunrider
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008 08:11:42 PM »

As usual, each week, I'm in love with so many of these. I really admire all of the colours that you all come up with. My roving and yarn all tends to be similar colours:), so I am astounded at the variety that appears each week, even in the same posts.

I don't have any to show (I'm a beginning spinner, trying to figure out the antique spinning wheel I bought at the thrift store, and unable to use my three drops right now due to car accident injury back in August), but I have been amassing roving the past few months, and have some beautiful beads I would like to use to do what pmpknpunk and laminathegreat did, plying it with beads. Is there a name for this technique? Is it silly to try it when I'm still so new? Are there any tutes out that than anyone would recommend?

Thanks so much! Hopefully it's not a faux pas to ask the question on here, but not knowing the name of the technique, and seeing it here....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
contrivant
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008 04:44:07 AM »

I'm no expert and someone might refute me, but it's been my experience in life that you can should try anything you darn well want, no matter if you're a beginner or an expert.  How are you going to learn otherwise? Heh, first time I tried lace, I'd been knitting for 2 months (and not a lot).  It didn't work out because I didn't understand the frogging thing like I do now, but I kept trying and now I can knit it, tink it, wrip it back, without tears only 10 months later  Wink

I'm not spinning anything gorgeous, but I'm trying a little every day, and my hands are finally figuring out the roving is like taffy so I'm getting somewhere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lufah
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008 04:46:52 AM »

pmpknpunk, I love the hat!  I also am in love with noodle princess' Flying Fish.  The yarns this week make me sad I haven't been spinning more (I'm about a third of the way through a single...).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
elwintez
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008 11:39:02 AM »

Everything is so beautiful!  I really like the hemlock ring throw in those colors.  It is gorgeous!  I can't wait till finals are over and I will be able to post pictures on here for the first time, I just haven't had time to spin in a while, and my camera isn't compatible with Vista so it is a pain to upload pictures.  Grr.  Hopefully by next friday I will have a shipment of Sheep Shed rovings to spin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darlingbud
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008 12:07:06 PM »

wow, there's some really great yarns this week! I think Flying Fish is my favorite Smiley

I haven't posted anything in about a year, so here goes. These are all dyed by me, and are composed of merino and falkland.

Joker's Daughter

Jungle

Aphrodite
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love doesn't consist of gazing at one another, so much as gazing together in the same direction.
-Antoine de St. Exupery

Handspun yarn and other fun stuff:
http://darlingbuddesigns.etsy.com
Dreaminsanity

everybody, just pretend to be normal!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008 02:06:45 PM »

Oh yay Fiber Friday!!
I love Powder and Blueberry Cream, but they're all yummy yarns!!
And Katem, wow did you progress fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008 06:22:00 AM »

caedara, love, love, love the Leprechaun!

I need to get pictures taken and loaded up on the net.  One of the  skeins of that shocking pink I spun a few weeks ago was plied with thread that had felted flowers on it.  It became a hat and drop stitch scarf for my niece.  The single is now a caloirimetry for a customer at the market. 

Also spun up grey/black/white/blue varigated and knitted into spiral hat for market customer, and some green/blue/black spun and knitted into another spiral hat for friend for Christmas.

New spinning friends came over yesterday and they brought with them a wheel they borrowed so Cheryl and her daughter could learn to spin.  The borrowed wheel was bought at a garage sale for $75.  I wasn't expecting much, but boy did my chin drop when they brought in a beautiful complete Country Craftsman in perfect condition.  Not a wheel I'd recommend for a beginner because it has such fast action sooooo, I let them borrow my Ashford Traveller and I get to spin a while on the Craftsman.  The daughter is a natural spinner.  In the couple of hours they were at the house, she nearly filled a Jumbo bobbin of wonderfully even yarn. 

I love fiber enabling!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pardon Me!
Harriet Evans on the Book That Changed Her Life
War of the Whales
Ian Gold on on the Book That Changed His Life
Joel Gold on the Book That Changed His Life
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...