A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Laptop Sleeve... Tutorial!!!  (Read 3214 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tootlesjane
« on: December 11, 2008 09:13:52 PM »

We've all saw the prices of cute laptop sleeve and I personally couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something I could make in the fabrics I liked. So I sat down to do this, took my time watching Grey's and viola a handy dandy sleeve to protect my laptop and my wallet.

1. First off, this is my first 'Tutorial' so if there are any questions feel free to ask. Pick out a couple of fabrics you like. One preferably fleece or flannel or something of the sorts that's soft and will offer a lil bit of padding. You can always add quilting or a heavy interfacing I guess.

2. Measure, Measure, Measure. The best way that worked for me for adding in the height was to lay my laptop on the edge of the fabric and wrap the fabric over and mark it leaving about a cm or so for seams. This will include the height and width. Then you can determine the length you need depending on how much extra fabric you wan at the opening.

3. Cut each piece of your fabric. I used one piece of each fabric so there were only 2 sided to sew up.

4. Put the 'bad' sides together, fold the outer fabric over the fleece about a cm where the top opening is gonna be. Sew to get rid of frazzled edges and have a clean finished look.

5. Now fold like a tube with the 'good' sides together. Pin and sew. Don't sew the bottom together yet; you may have to make changes.

6. Slide your laptop in to your tube to make sure its fitting snugly. If it's the fit you want, pin and sew the bottom. If not, go back and re-sew so it fits the way you want.

7. Flip right side out and viola... a fast, easy protective cover for your laptop.

8. If you want to add a pocket for you power cord or anything else I suggest doing it between 4 and 5.

Again, if there are any questions or somethings not clear, I'll try to do my best to clear it up. Here's the one I did tonite. Its zebra outer fabric with pink fleece on the inside. All the fabric were remnants on sale so all the fabric for this (and a yard more of fleece) came to about $4.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008 09:48:12 PM »

This is great! Yours turned out great, good job!  Thank you for the tutorial -- I am going to give this a try tomorrow!  I will try to remember to post pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
AlyssaKnits

Formerly Thatkid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008 02:13:36 PM »

this is perfect! i tried making one, i dont like the bags- i wanted something to protect it while in my bookbag.. mine is a huge mess, aha. i'll have to give this one a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Changed my username, Formerly Thatkid!
witchytree
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008 06:39:29 AM »

This is great for those who either don't have a bag or hate bags.  Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't make me release the flying monkeys.
tootlesjane
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008 03:08:37 PM »

This is great for those who either don't have a bag or hate bags.  Thanks for the tute!

yeah. i hate the bulky bags you can only get in boring colors and i needed something that would protect my computer that i could just slide in backpack and not have 2 or 3 bags to lug around campus. i saw a sleeve like this an just figured i'd try with some zebra fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtythghts4
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008 06:03:37 PM »

That's so pretty! I should have made more of my Christmas presents this year. This post got my wheels turning a little too late. Oh well.

Maybe I'll still make a bag or something for my sister. She's in school, she might like one. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Serve Singapore Inspired Noodles
How to Make a Rich and Flavourful Thai Massaman Curry
How to Mix Asian Flavoured Duck Confit
How to Do a Crab in Black Bean Sauce
How to Cook Yakitori Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...