A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No surger panties?  (Read 870 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Uniqueworn
« on: December 11, 2008 06:53:50 PM »

Can you make panties on  regular sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
Muria
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008 07:01:26 PM »

If you have a zigzag stitch, you should be able to (as long as you don't care what the seams look like on the inside: they won't be as neat as a serged edge). The zigzag stitch has built in stretch so that your seams don't pop when the fabric is stretched (and most underwear stretches).  You can take a pair of old underwear or you can use a pattern (I think Kwik Sew has patterns for that sort of thing). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Uniqueworn
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008 10:25:08 AM »

Thank You! Yeah i don't care what they look like, I knew about the zigzag stich but my machine also doesn't like stretch fabric too much. I am thinking of using old t-shirt, but do you think they will stretch too much throughout the day?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
Muria
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008 06:13:53 PM »

It really depends on the fabric you're working with. I think a medium weight t-shirt would probably be fine, but the extra thin, cheap t-shirts could be a problem. There's at least one thread here:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=34455
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=5921

I'm not seeing a whole lot of information on the subject on craftster, but I didn't go through all the search results for "underwear" so I may have missed something.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
kiewiet
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008 09:33:09 PM »

In days of old we just used a zigzag stich. Make sure you have the right needle in and play around with the presser foot pressure - sometimes this helps if the machine hates stretch. Also sewing over paper may help.
A medium weight stretch is OK. The elastic is what keeps undies up and in place, more so than the type of fabric when you are re-using material. Today we have lovely stretch and lycras which can actually mold to the body but when I learnt to make undies our "best" was a nylon with a bit of stretch (about 2%). We mostly used thin cotton which was lovely and cool in summer.
I used a bit of t-shirting the other day to play around with patterns and to my surprise the loosefitting 70s style bikini pattern is supercomfy to wear even though it sits loosely. It also makes no panty lines as it is not tight around the soft bits  Shocked. They don't stretch during the day either and have held up better than any other ones in the wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
celticchrys
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009 06:49:55 AM »

You might find this site to be helpful:

http://www.supernaturale.com/articles.html?id=70

It's about making them from t-shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009 06:26:25 PM »

I've sewed some tshirt fabric underwear on an older machine that didn't really like stretch materials.  It worked pretty well with the zigzag.  I found that using a thicker weight tshirt, as was mentioned before, is the way to go, as well as perhaps adding a thin elastic to the leg openings if you think the tshirt will stretch too much around those areas.  You can zigzag on the elastic, adding it the same way you'd add non-encased elastic to any garment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009 06:33:19 AM »

On Burdastyle there's a free panties pattern:

http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/2437

I haven't tried it myself, because I have a nice book with instructions to draft patterns for panties.
I'm also not sure what size they are and it has a waistband, but you could easily make it without a waistband and it shows you the general shape of the pattern pieces for panties.
I've made quite some undies and I don't have a serger, so it's quite possible. If your machine has a stitch that looks a bit like a serger stitch, that one is also suitable for sewing undies and it also gives you a seam that also looks good on the outside (saves you some time because you don't have to first make a normal seam and then zigzag the edges.)
Edit: to get nice edges on the leg openings, you can sew elastic first on it with a zigzag, then fold it to the inside and zigzag again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 06:35:38 AM by Psycho_Bitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Uniqueworn
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009 06:16:00 PM »

So here is my revised actual plan: I got really thick (2"-3") stretch lace. I am going to use a pair of thongs that fit me well to make the crotch pattern. Then I am going to sew together 2 pieces of jersey right sides together with zig-zag, and then turn right side out and attach to the stretch lace.

I will post when they are done, but if it all works out well i will be able to have pretty and flattering undies for under $0.50 a pair! And in awesome colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Braided Hairstyles That Look Amazing on Everyone
Beauty Test Lab: Pop Buzzing Buffer Review
Beauty Prep School: How To Do An At-Home Manicure
How to Wear Lip Liner
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...