A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Widening a pencil skirt, need help  (Read 984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2008 05:28:37 PM »

The other day I bought a $3 pencil skirt at the thrift store. It's plum colored and it has a double brass button front like the skirt pictured below.

The problem is I was blinded by the great color details and didn't pay any attention to the size. It is a 6, I need it to be a 12. I've got some hips on me but I'm on the shorter side of things so I always hem my skirts. If they go below my knee they make me look shorter. I can hem at least 6 inches of the bottom of the skirt and still keep it a good length.

My question: Is there any way or the best way to add the panel of fabric that I take off the bottom to the skirt to widen it while still maintaining its symmetry? The buttons are purely aesthetic but there is a left side zipper. Where is the best place to add this panel of fabric? The center front? The center back? Two equal pieces on the left and right side?

I don't usually work with patterns but I can if need be. I usually do minor to major alterations on thrifted and new garments so I'm comfortable with a moderate to advanced level of sewing.

I'd really appreciate any help, Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008 06:58:05 PM »

First of all, you'll want to measure the difference between your skirt and what you want the skirt to be. If your strip of fabric isn't that wide, you'll waste your time trying to fix it.  Personally, I would tend to want to add it equally to each side seam, or just put it on the right side seam and move the buttons. Depending on how the waistband is done, you may have to take it off and substitute something else (my current favorite way of doing waistbands is to use 1 1/2" wide grosgrain as a facing for the waistband. No interfacing, no finishing the bottom edge, and it looks finished, even on the inside.).

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008 09:02:22 PM »

First of all, you'll want to measure the difference between your skirt and what you want the skirt to be. If your strip of fabric isn't that wide, you'll waste your time trying to fix it.  Personally, I would tend to want to add it equally to each side seam, or just put it on the right side seam and move the buttons. Depending on how the waistband is done, you may have to take it off and substitute something else (my current favorite way of doing waistbands is to use 1 1/2" wide grosgrain as a facing for the waistband. No interfacing, no finishing the bottom edge, and it looks finished, even on the inside.).

Good luck!

Thank you very much. There isn't much of a waistband, just the top seam, so I don't think the waistband will be a problem. Do you think I should add the strip of fabric on the zipper side in front or behind the zipper? I'm thinking in front to match the right seam so the two added panels will be directly on either side of the front panel of the dress. I thought about moving all the buttons but the skirt is tailored in a way that makes the front almost have a kangaroo pocket shape but no pockets. Once again, thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008 03:36:48 AM »

I think you're in the best position to determine where to add the fabric. Since I haven't seen the skirt, I don't know what kind of design lines you need to take into account, and whether you prefer absolute symmetry (it makes my daughter nuts when things aren't symmetrical. She's a complete slob, but if she's making something, it has to be exactly the way she pictured it or she scraps the whole project). The only thing about adding the panels to either side of the front is that the back is going to be smaller than the front (and usually the back panel is a bit winder). If you're adding the right panel at the right side seam, to be perfectly symmetrical, you'd want to divide the left panel in half and put half in front of the zipper, and half in the back, which is kind of a pain (really, it's only one more seam, but every seam also takes out that much additional space, and if you're doing 1/2 inch seams, you've already lost 2 inches from your expansion). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Inspiration Behind The Cookbooks, from Trisha Yearwood
Visit to Honeybaked Ham in Gastonia, NC
The Smells That Remind Me of Home, From Trisha Yearwood
My Favorite Southern Comfort Foods, from Trisha Yearwood
Time-Saving Pork and Potato Meatloaf Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...