A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Couture Swap: SEND by 02/11/09  (Read 9212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneredboot
« on: December 11, 2008 10:38:23 AM »

GALLERY

Swap name:  Couture Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  oneredboot
Sign-up date range:  12/11/08 to 01/11/09; partners 01/12/09
Date to send package by:  02/11/09

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional):  NO

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO

Age requirement? 18+

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 13 years old: YES

Details of swap:

Do you love couture?  Watch runway shows online and think, I can make that!?  Fantasize about how to make one of Stella McCartneys fabulous oversize sweaters, or a chunky Halston pendant, or that Malene Birger waffle scarf, or a dress from the beautiful collection by Roland Mouret?

This is a swap for those of us who use the fashion industry as crafty inspiration!  Well look to recent couture collectionsFall 08, Cruise 09, Spring 09, Pre-Fall 09, etc.as the basis for our work in this swap.  Open to sewers, knitters, beaders,, jewelry-makers, and more!  Anyone inspired by couture is welcome here, no matter the medium.  And remember:  couture does not have to equal expensive!  Anyone who watches Project Runway knows the amazingness that can result from simple, quality materials. This is a swap about the transformative power of design , NOT about expensive things!

Here are some great couture resources (Ill update these if anyone has additional favorites!):
http://www.net-a-porter.com/
http://www.hotpatterns.com/
http://www.metapostmodernknitting.com/ (they have a great trend report as well as fabulous patterns)

As for the specifics:  this is a four-point swap .  Swap packages can include any number or size of items as long as they add up to at least 4 points:
3 pts = large
2 pts = medium
1 pt = small

Here are the Craftster guidelines for item sizes:
LARGE:  3 or more hours, $30 or more (a shawl, a shirt, a skirt, a set of jewelry with four to five items, a purse)
MEDIUM  = 2 to 3 hours, $10-$30 (a scarf, a simple bag)
SMALL  = less than 2 hours, less than $10 (earrings, a wallet)

These size guidelines are very subjective, so, as always, work with your partner to decide how much to send.  Be sure to agree on the amount of time, money, and effort you want to spend for this swap.    If you or your partner want to make something that requires more time or effort than we usually think of for a large item (something with couture details, for example), this point system gives you a little wiggle room.  But PLEASE be sure to consult with your partner!   

Throughout the swap, you will be expected to:
* Keep in regular contact with your partner
* PM me and your partner when you send and when you receive.   If you are sending within your own country, you must have a DC# (delivery confirmation number).  Include the DC in your package sent PM to me and your partner.  If you are sending outside of your country and cannot get a tracking number, you must keep your receipt as proof of shipping.
* When you receive, post photographs in the gallery

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide for other details about participating in a swap.

Please note that you may not be able to participate in this swap if your swap profile includes:
* ANY negative feedback comments
* poor communication in past swaps
* sending late in past swaps

Also, note that I will begin entering feedback one week after the send-out date.  If you need feedback earlier, please contact me. 

If you want to participate, please PM me (oneredboot) with your questionnaire rather than posting it here.  Please title any PMs for this swap with Couture Swap:  [sign-up / sent / received / question / etc.] THANKS!

Questionnaire

NOTE:  Remember that the more you share about yourself in your qnnaire, the more your partner can craft something made for you!   Also, if you can, include links to images.  I highly recommend setting up a set of images for this swap on Polyvore to help give your partner some visuals!

Name of swap:  Couture Swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?     
If YES, you MUST be willing to ship air postal or an equivalent which will take a maximum of 3 weeks.  Are you willing?
Confirm that are at least 13 years old (YES/NO)

URL for any that apply
website? 
blog? 
wists? 
polyvore sets for this swap?

Describe your personal style (dont forget accessories!):

Who are your style icons and why?  (Its especially important to include links to images for your answers here!!)

Who are your top 5 designers?

What are your favorite elements of the current runway collections (color combos, shapes, concepts, lengths, whatever!Again images here will be helpful!)? 

Relevant sizes: 
bust / waist / hip
circumference of wrist / neck
height
others?

Is there anything you don't want to receive?

Do you have a camera or access to a camera? Can you post pictures?

Do you smoke or come from a smoking household?

Do you have any allergies relevant to this swap?

Anything else youd like your swap partner to know about your style, lifestyle, etc.?   (Do you already have your own line?  Plan to start a boutique?  Have a design degree?  Or--like me!--do you just love fashion!?)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009 05:44:12 AM by oneredboot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneredboot
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008 10:39:01 AM »

Approved Swappers:

i_am_138
littlepierre
cheebz
NiinaMaria
Laciebug
iggy.boy
lemadrid
elizabethn
Scotskipper402
Eloise24
elmpixie
oneredboot

ANGELS
ptarmic wumpus
FadingHippie
girlypirate

PARTNERS
REC i_am_138 < >  elizabethn SENT/REC [ANGEL:  girlypirate SENT]
littlepierre < > NiinaMaria
[ANGEL:  FadingHippie SENT] SENT/REC cheebz < > Laciebug SENT/REC
 [ANGEL:  ptarmic wumpus SENT]SENT/REC iggy.boy  < > elmpixie REC
SENT/REC lemadrid < > Scotskipper402 SENT/REC
SENT/REC Eloise24 < > oneredboot SENT/REC

RED = late with no communication / FLAKED
crafter = feedback left

GALLERY
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 10:46:48 AM by oneredboot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneredboot
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008 10:40:34 AM »

OK, everyone, sign-ups are open!  Starting question:  Where do you go for fashion news and inspiration? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whisp3rd
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008 12:08:05 PM »

ENNNHHHH why did you have to bring this out? sooooooooo cruel

I'd love to do this but my skills are limited to spinning,crocheting, knitting. But there has been a hellacious amount of knits on the runway lately.

oooh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008 12:31:09 PM »

I'd love to do this but my skills are limited to spinning,crocheting, knitting. But there has been a hellacious amount of knits on the runway lately.

Knitters are absolutely welcome!!  I'll probably be making something knit for this swap...There are tons of lovely knits on the runways right now.  Also check out http://www.metapostmodernknitting.com/  for free couture-inspired knitwear patterns. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elmpixie
I need my hat, but not for my head...

Four's Treble

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008 01:59:19 PM »

yay! i'll sign up as soon as i finish the questionairre.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
BLOG

Couture
Bag with a plan
Wearables
Wall-E
maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008 03:28:15 PM »

Yay! im working ibn the questionare now, its a long one!

Where do you go for fashion news and inspiration?
Mostly magazines like Vougue, and I love Vanity Fair. Also TV shows like Gossip Girl (inspiration: Chuck Bass) and there are some awesome blogs i enjoy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
oneredboot
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008 04:47:49 PM »

I added a few questions to the q'nnaire--mainly b/c i forgot about asking for sizes!   If you've already started filling it out, be sure to check back and answer the new questions. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myklia
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008 06:49:13 PM »

I won't know for a while whether or not I'm officially joining the swap (because of some other swaps that are supposed to come up, one I plan on organizing), but I'll participate in the thread anyways. If one of the other swaps don't come to fruition, then I may be able to join this one.  We'll see.  Hopefully I'll know after the first week of January.

I don't look at the fashion mags as much as I used to ($$$ Tongue), but some of my favorites are/has been Clear, Surface, City, Nylon.  Some of them cover more than fashion, but I like their fashion segments.  Of course Craftster and Etsy has stuff I love that look really fantastic.

If I do sign up, it will take some time to find links and I may scan in some of my favorites I have from magazines I own and put those images in my Photobucket.  I know there is some really cool stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malisha

♫ If i ever lose my knees... i wont have 2 beg ♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008 07:15:30 PM »

I might join!
just... dont know if I'll have the time...

and... my sewing skills are kind of limited... i can sew... but i'm still learning, so i dont feel i'm as good as i should be...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in mexico, I can send loads of mexican stuff ...I'd swap for crafting supplies and scrapbooking supplies (PM if interested)

"Only when the last tree has been cut, and the last fish has been killed, then mankind will understand that money can't be eaten"

http://www.wists.com/malisha
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Flare Trend Is Back
White Blazers Are the New Little Black Dress
How to Wear the Flattering Fit-and-Flare Dress in Style
Look Airport Chic Instantly with These Must-Have Travel Pieces
Jessica Biel Dazzles in a Nude Oscar De La Renta Dress
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...