A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 312,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: someone need a pin cushion?  (Read 4456 times)
Tags for this thread: pincushion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 10, 2005 04:15:12 PM »

hi, well i didn't know where else to post this so sorry if i'm in the wrong forum....
anyway, i made this pin cushion today just to cheer me up....but i already have to many
if anybody needs it, im selling it for $4.00

its done with embroider ribbon, felt and DMC thread...oh an a botton.
i'll add $1.00 for shipping. Please post here or send me a personal message.
thanks for looking.

Running with needles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005 04:41:26 PM »

I'll take it!

Social interaction, creative marketing, making dreams happen & craftiness: LisaAshby.com
Creative Inspiration: Craft & Creative
Debt-Free Podcast: Rebound
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005 04:59:13 PM »

Four dollars!? You should sell that for a lot more! That's a damn fine pin cushion. Wink
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005 05:04:47 PM »

thank you ladies,
and wickedviolet, thank you, just send me your email address and shipping address.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005 05:34:51 PM »

thank you ladies,

ahem, I'm a guy... and you're welcome.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005 05:45:21 PM »

oh, im sorry!
excuse my mistake! Wink

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005 08:38:51 AM »

Not to distract everybody from littleone's nice pin cushion but I thought I would mention the pin cushion I'm going to make. I grew up with a green wool one like this and so of course I think it's great.  The features I love about this design is that it's flat so it'll sit nicely on a sewing table.  Plus if you pack it tight enough, it's got enough weight to hold things down.

According to Mom, this was designed by my grandma as a 4-H project many years ago:
1. Remove the top lid and label from an empty tuna can or pineapple can (cleaned and dried, of course!).   
2. Trace around the can on brown paper and add a little extra for your seam allowance (3/8" usually). 
3. Next, measure out a rectangle that wraps around the body of the can and add a seam allowance here also.   
4. Transfer your shapes to fabric, cutting out two circles and one rectangle.  If you want to embellish it with ribbon, rick-rack, appliques, etc. do it now.
5. Put the right sides together of one of the circles and the rectangle and sew together to make a fabric cylinder with no bottom piece.  I don't know enough about sewing yet to say if you should sew the short edges of the rectangle together first or the circle onto the long end of the rectangle.  Save me the frustration and let me know if you already know the answer.  Smiley  If I remember right, you'll want to snip into the remaining seam allowance to allow the fabric to curve (or whatever the snipping does).
6. The original design calls for packing the can tight with sawdust but you could probably use rice or small dry beans.  I suppose you could probably use sand, but make sure your fabric is super tightly woven so it doesn't leak out or put a second layer of fabric under the top circle that would help keep it in. 
7. Turn the cylinder right side out.  Slide the sleeve over the open end of the filled can and hand-sew the bottom circle on.  In my mind the bottom circle would probably need to be a tad bit smaller than the actual can so the sewn edge fits under the can so it sits straight.  I'm not sure on this detail but you can easily cut it down, if need be.

I haven't made this yet but I'll post a pic when I get it finished.  I was disappointed when I noticed that the classic tomato-style pin cushion is under $2 at the fabric store but I think I'll appreciate making my own.  I recommend using a heavy-duty fabric just because it'll last longer. 
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005 09:33:28 AM »

hi cotton candy, thanks for posting the instructions, i've seen that somewhere before, i also seen pincushion done with small flat tin cans, but the pin cusion goes inside of them and then the lid covers over the pins and cushion...i got inspire to do pin cushions because of the "not your grannys pin cushion swap" going on.
 i made another one just like the picture, exept is has a ladybug aplique. i can't do anymore of them, i was using a vintage ribbon, and i already ran out of it, i can't buy anymore of it...so it gone!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Fried Pork Chops
How to make Baked Beans in a Dutch Oven
How to make Chicken and Dumplings
How to make Cornbread Dressing
How to make The Ultimate Chicken and Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...