A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Binding Problem  (Read 568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redcleo
« on: December 11, 2008 09:52:56 AM »

I just finished making this quilt for my nephew, who turns two on Friday:

These pictures were taken before washing, which I did last night. I'm really proud of this quilt, as it's the first large one I've actually finished (one doll quilt finished before that, one wall hanging not yet bound, one twin sized not bound), and it turned out really nice, even if I did break lots of rules in its making (since I started putting it together before taking a quilting class and without really knowing what I was doing).

My pieced binding turned out absolutely perfect, including the corners, which I finally mastered. I was so pleased, and it didn't take nearly as long as I feared it would.

Then, I threw it in the wash, primarily because we have cats and my sister is allergic, and I didn't really want her to get all sneezy just tucking her child into bed. In general, it pulled through fine, which is good, because I'm assuming its going to get washed a lot.

BUT.

In some places, the binding is pulling away from the quilt on the side where I sewed it on by hand. I've never seen this happen, and I'm not sure why it did, since I made sure to keep things tight. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I plan on reinforcing it in the places where it's coming apart, since it's unacceptable to give the gift this way (the white thread I used is totally visible only where the this is happening) and because I feel like it's not sturdy now (and it's really necessary for a 2-year-old's quilt to be able to stand the test of time and what he might do to it - he's a very active little boy).

Any ideas on what I did wrong and how I can fix it? I blind stitched the binding onto the back like the woman who taught my quilting class showed me how to do. I'd show a picture, but I didn't take one and I'm here at work, pondering the problem....

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008 11:54:26 AM »

I've had a similar thing happen - my problem was that when I blind stitched it, I got too close to the edge of the quilt material and when it wased, the material frayed beyond my stitching and let loose.  I just went back to those places and stitched over them again, being sure that I caught the material further in from the edge.

That's also why I went to machine stitching my binding on, haven't had that problem since I switched!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008 11:56:16 AM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vidal Sassoon Hair Guru and Mr. Wash and Go Dies
How to Create the Rockettes French Twist Hairstyle
3 New Hair Products to Help You Look Beautiful
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Easily Stop Frizzy and Static Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...